#1 ExplOregon

ExplOregon

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts
  • LocationBeaverton, OR

Posted 05 March 2021 - 03:59 AM

Hey Everyone,

Part of FWC's exterior LED package includes LED lights underneath the camper on each corner of the slide-in part of the camper. I'm thinking about DIY'ing up something myself since I didn't opt for that upgrade during my purchase.

I'm hearing good things about the Baja Designs Dome lights. Unlike the rock lights, they have buttons on them that allow you to turn them on and off directly from the light vs an interior switch. We have toddler and once she's down for the night, we do everything possible not to open the camper door until we're ready for bed so being able to control the lights from the outside is attractive.

Mounting the lights to the camper should be fairly straight forward, but I have a couple of question regarding the wiring. I'm a noob when it comes to wiring. My goal is the join/combine the 4 strands of wires coming from each corner light somehow so that only one strand of positive and negative wires has to go into the camper and to the battery.

Here are the questions:

1. What's the easiest way to combine/join/splice the four strands together? I've been thinking about trying to use/find a Wago style connector, but not sure it exists or if that's the best option. Not sure they're weatherproof. Although I guess that I could join them all internally and then route one pair of wires to the battery.
  2. How would you have the wires enter the camper? Where would you drill a hole? Would you not drill a hole? I have '19 Hawk Shell with furnace and side dinette. I was thinking coming directly into the battery box from the bottom or near where the wires come in from the connection that ultimately leads to the alternator.

Additional considerations/thoughts:

1. Amber or white LEDs? I'm leading towards amber since they deter bugs, but not sure amber will put off enough usable light.
  2. For those that have the exterior LED package, do you actually use/like the downlighting?
  3. Open to other suggestions that accomplish the same goal. LED strip...

#2 larryqp

larryqp

• Members
  • 299 posts
  • LocationFull-time RVer, anywhere USA

Posted 05 March 2021 - 01:59 PM

Don't know if this will help you, but I mounted 3 solar lights by Aootek on my hawk, one on each side and one in the rear. I covered the lens with amber self adhesive lens tape from an auto parts store. They have 3 settings, on at night, on at night with motion, or on at night dim and then bright with motion. I have them set on at night with motion. So when I go out at night they come on, but then after 15 seconds turn off so I can see the stars.  No wiring, no power drain.

https://www.amazon.com/New-Solar-Lights-4Pack-Efficiency/dp/B07NQ4L1SB/ref=asc_df_B07NQ4L1SB/?tag=hyprod-20&linkCode=df0&hvadid=343187906542&hvpos=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=2035951027794638674&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9030682&hvtargid=pla-728220875888&psc=1&tag=&ref=&adgrpid=69721953755&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvadid=343187906542&hvpos=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=2035951027794638674&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9030682&hvtargid=pla-728220875888

Edited by larryqp, 05 March 2021 - 02:00 PM.

2016 F150, FX4, XLT super cab

2019 FWC Hawk Shell

2009 Ford Ranger 4x4, XLT, Supercab total loss on 7/30/19

2014 FWC Shell total loss on 7/30/19

Towed behind our home which is a 2005 Kountry Star Diesel Pusher

#3 ntsqd

ntsqd

Custom User Title

• Members
  • 2,881 posts
  • LocationNorth So.CA

Posted 05 March 2021 - 02:07 PM

Are you looking for task lighting or area lighting? Those BD lights look like they could perform the former.

I would suggest that these lights be put on the porch light circuit. That way there is a "Master" switch inside to turn them off and not allow hooligans to turn them on or to forget that one of them is on.

Personally not a fan of the Wago connectors. Not for low voltage electrical as they are not sealed and they are not designed for use in moving vehicles. I use crimp connectors for vehicle wiring.

I would wire them in parallel like you suggest. Ground to a ground terminal/buss, and power from downstream of the porch light switch.

Don't own an FWC, so I'm no help on where to drill a hole or holes. Might consider using 3M 5200 or 4200, or one of the Silkaflex sealing products to bed the lights and seal the hole.

Thom

Where does that road go?

#4 steve whiteside

steve whiteside

• Members
  • 183 posts
  • LocationSan Diego CA

Posted 05 March 2021 - 10:51 PM

As a variation on what Larryqp said as a temporary fix to get a battery powered LED light like this:

https://www.amazon.c...2xpY2s9dHJ1ZQ==

That battery powered light might last form months on 4 double AA batts

Try it for a while and see if you actually want to put a new hole in your camper or not.  I bought those down lights from FWC and hardly ever use them.  In the summer time it gets dark late and we go in a bout 9pm. In the winter time it is too cold to sit outside.  Maybe in your situation with kids you would want to escape while they fall sleep.  Also I don't think it wouldn't be tough to wire a switch in line with whatever lamp you buy.  In other words you don't necessarily need to buy a light with a switch.  

Edited by steve whiteside, 05 March 2021 - 10:58 PM.

2012 F350 4x4

2020 Grandby

#5 ExplOregon

ExplOregon

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts
  • LocationBeaverton, OR

Posted 06 March 2021 - 03:25 AM

Don't know if this will help you, but I mounted 3 solar lights by Aootek on my hawk, one on each side and one in the rear. I covered the lens with amber self adhesive lens tape from an auto parts store. They have 3 settings, on at night, on at night with motion, or on at night dim and then bright with motion. I have them set on at night with motion. So when I go out at night they come on, but then after 15 seconds turn off so I can see the stars.  No wiring, no power drain.

https://www.amazon.com/New-Solar-Lights-4Pack-Efficiency/dp/B07NQ4L1SB/ref=asc_df_B07NQ4L1SB/?tag=hyprod-20&linkCode=df0&hvadid=343187906542&hvpos=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=2035951027794638674&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9030682&hvtargid=pla-728220875888&psc=1&tag=&ref=&adgrpid=69721953755&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvadid=343187906542&hvpos=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=2035951027794638674&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9030682&hvtargid=pla-728220875888

Larryqp - I actually thought about that idea as well. I have four of the Aootek lights as security lights on the house. Love them. The version that I have has the toggle for the different modes on the back of the unit so it's kinda a set once idea. I was worried that if I put one on the side of the camper that the motion sensor would go off as I'm driving down the road at night. How do you avoid that problem?

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: lightingbaja designs, wiring

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users