11 replies to this topic

#1 Wandering Sagebrush

Wandering Sagebrush

Free Range Human

• Site Team
  • 10,576 posts
  • LocationNortheast Oregon

Posted 05 March 2021 - 03:30 PM

I saw the Sure Can water jug reviewed in an upland hunting magazine, and it looks handy for camping as well as watering the pups from the tailgate of the truck.

F4E5313B-D1C9-4F46-BBA5-846DE4E7E0AE.jpeg

I am haunted by waters

#2 Fishyhead

Fishyhead

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 68 posts
  • LocationAnaheim, CA

Posted 05 March 2021 - 05:25 PM

I use Tide laundry detergent bottles because they're compact, sit upright for transport, easy to fill, and simple to clean and sanitize.  They're also "free" once I use up the detergent.  I used to carry one to use as a hand wash station and a separate one for the dog when he was still alive.

s-l300.jpg

1997 Toyota T100 4x4 manual - 1993 FWC Ranger 8'

#3 JHanson

JHanson

• Members
  • 488 posts
  • LocationTucson and Fairbanks

Posted 06 March 2021 - 03:58 AM

I reviewed a SureCan fuel container positively some time ago on Overland Tech and Travel. However, subsequently the swiveling spout on mine cracked at the base, rendering it useless. 

Edited by JHanson, 06 March 2021 - 03:58 AM.

#4 Wandering Sagebrush

Wandering Sagebrush

Free Range Human

• Site Team
  • 10,576 posts

Posted 06 March 2021 - 02:00 PM

I reviewed a SureCan fuel container positively some time ago on Overland Tech and Travel. However, subsequently the swiveling spout on mine cracked at the base, rendering it useless. 

Jonathan, thanks for that feedback.   Do you know what caused the crack?  Was it just constant use, or did it get bounced around during travel?

I don’t think I would ever use one of the fuel containers, but I would like to use the water container on the tailgate.

I am haunted by waters

#5 AWG_Pics

AWG_Pics

Into the Great Empty

• Members
  • 1,195 posts
  • LocationOregon

Posted 06 March 2021 - 04:01 PM

I use Tide laundry detergent bottles because they're compact, sit upright for transport, easy to fill, and simple to clean and sanitize.  They're also "free" once I use up the detergent.  I used to carry one to use as a hand wash station and a separate one for the dog when he was still alive.

s-l300.jpg

We will definitely give this great idea a try! Thanks!

lived for several years each in Montana, Utah, Idaho, Texas, Washington, Oregon.

2019 Tundra, Hawk.

https://www.flickr.c...hotos/awg_pics/

#6 Casa Escarlata Robles Too

Casa Escarlata Robles Too

C'est la vie

• Site Team
  • 9,287 posts
  • Locationmonterey bay area

Posted 06 March 2021 - 07:31 PM

s-l300.jpg

How do you clean all the detergent out of the bottle so it can be used for drinking water?

Having the spout is a great advantage.

Frank

2002 Tundra AC TRD 4WD Limited 2009 ATC Bobcat loaded http://sharychic.blogspot.com/

#7 Fishyhead

Fishyhead

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 68 posts
  • LocationAnaheim, CA

Posted 07 March 2021 - 06:43 AM

The cap and spout come off so I soaked them and rinsed the bottle until the it stopped feeling soapy then reassembled it. I then ran a few gallons through the spout while watering plants. The water looks, smells, and tastes fine.

1997 Toyota T100 4x4 manual - 1993 FWC Ranger 8'

#8 Casa Escarlata Robles Too

Casa Escarlata Robles Too

C'est la vie

• Site Team
  • 9,287 posts
  • Locationmonterey bay area

Posted 07 March 2021 - 05:56 PM

Thanks.

Frank

2002 Tundra AC TRD 4WD Limited 2009 ATC Bobcat loaded http://sharychic.blogspot.com/

#9 Wandering Sagebrush

Wandering Sagebrush

Free Range Human

• Site Team
  • 10,576 posts

Posted 08 March 2021 - 05:18 AM

s-l300.jpg

It’s time for a war story, a genuine war story...  In 1968, as a young Marine Lance Corporal, I found myself stationed at a small Marine airfield near Da Nang, Republic of Vietnam.   Certain perquisites, such as the rationing of distilled spirits, followed rank centric protocols.  Said more plainly, you had to be a Sergeant to purchase or possess booze.  

After pleading with the home front, I received a care package that included a one quart plastic bottle of “dish soap”.  The name lost to time, but probably Ivory.  I soon discovered the contents were indeed not dish soap, but rather some of Mr Daniels finest sipping whisky.   We lived in a tin shack, commonly called a hootch, the inhabitants of which were my hootchmates.  After legally (not really, we stole it) procuring ice from sickbay, the hootchmates and I set about to toast the night, the Corps, and all things good with the smuggled spirits.  Tin cups clinked, cups met lips, and...  we all gagged on soap flavored whiskey.

There is a moral to this story.  Well maybe just a lesson...  soap when ingested  with any liquid really doesn’t enhance the flavor of that fluid.  

My advice...  don’t, just don’t, use a soap container for your water supply or booze without trying it prior to setting out afield.

I am haunted by waters

#10 ski3pin

ski3pin

Belay On

• Site Team
  • 15,321 posts
  • LocationSierra Nevada Range

Posted 08 March 2021 - 05:30 AM

Made our evening with that story Mr. Sage!

2003 Ford Ranger FX4 Level II 2013 ATC Bobcat SE "And in the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years."- Abraham Lincoln  http://ski3pin.blogspot.com/

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users