Photo
- - - - -

Another Trip to Texas, what to see along the way?

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 billharr

billharr

• Members
  • 2,824 posts
  • LocationStockton CA

Posted 06 March 2021 - 04:53 PM

Another trip to Texas. First long trip in the Class B so this will be an adjustment from taking the Hawk. We have done the trip on I-10 several times, only taking 2 to 3 days to drive. This trip we want to do a little sightseeing on the way. Leaving the last week of March.  Plan on a week getting to Schertz where my daughter lives. Week in Schertz, near San Antonio and another a week driving home.  Plan on seeing the following on the trip going and returning. 

• Salton Sea Area. 
  • Organ Pipe Cactus National Monument AZ.
  • Kitt Peak, AZ.
  • Tombstone and Bisbee AZ.
  • Marfa TX.
  • Big Bend State Park.
  • Big Bend National Park.
  • Carlsbad Caverns.
  • White Sands National Park.

This is a tentative list and will change. What areas are worth visiting and which are not worth the time?   Are there any other areas that we should see on the way? No rough off road in the Van it is just too low. 

#2 DavidGraves

DavidGraves

• Members
  • 1,267 posts

Posted 06 March 2021 - 05:37 PM

BLUEBELLS !

#3 Wandering Sagebrush

Wandering Sagebrush

Free Range Human

• Site Team
  • 10,573 posts
  • LocationNortheast Oregon

Posted 06 March 2021 - 06:16 PM

Bill, I would add Patagonia, AZ and Chiricahua Nat Monument as other interesting places.

I am haunted by waters

#4 JWL

JWL

• Members
  • 295 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 06 March 2021 - 07:19 PM

Have you been to the Gila and the Gila Cliff Dwellings? Good camping up and around there as well.

2007 Tundra 5.7L Dbl cab

2020 Hawk Shell

#5 Casa Escarlata Robles Too

Casa Escarlata Robles Too

C'est la vie

• Site Team
  • 9,283 posts
  • Locationmonterey bay area

Posted 06 March 2021 - 07:47 PM

Bill sounds like a great trip.

Have a safe drive.

Frank

2002 Tundra AC TRD 4WD Limited 2009 ATC Bobcat loaded http://sharychic.blogspot.com/

#6 Jack

Jack

• Members
  • 408 posts
  • LocationPortland OR

Posted 07 March 2021 - 12:04 AM

Consider Anza Borrego State Park if you are heading south on 86 along the Salton Sea. It's about an hour west. Has campground sites as well as many varied and interesting dry camping spots. Enjoy your trip!

2015 Fleet on 2019 Ranger

#7 Ronin

Ronin

• Members
  • 934 posts
  • LocationPNW

Posted 07 March 2021 - 02:21 AM

Pima Air & Space Museum and Kartchner Caverns are on the same path as Tombstone. My sister lives in Bisbee so I always include it in my So Arizona trips. Chiricahua's are one of my favorite places and there's also Cochise Stronghold across the valley in the Dragoon's. If you're a rockhound you can hit Rockhound State Park before diving south into Texas. Depending on how far north your route is Ruidoso and Lincoln NM are nice. Sounds like a fun trip!!

2019 Tundra 2019 Panther Shell

#8 billharr

billharr

• Members
  • 2,824 posts
  • LocationStockton CA

Posted 07 March 2021 - 02:54 AM

Bill, I would add Patagonia, AZ and Chiricahua Nat Monument as other interesting places.

Chiricahua add as a stop. Looks like something we need to see.

#9 billharr

billharr

• Members
  • 2,824 posts
  • LocationStockton CA

Posted 07 March 2021 - 03:02 AM

Pima Air & Space Museum and Kartchner Caverns are on the same path as Tombstone. My sister lives in Bisbee so I always include it in my So Arizona trips. Chiricahua's are one of my favorite places and there's also Cochise Stronghold across the valley in the Dragoon's. If you're a rockhound you can hit Rockhound State Park before diving south into Texas. Depending on how far north your route is Ruidoso and Lincoln NM are nice. Sounds like a fun trip!!

Cavern tours sold out to Mid April. We stumbled into Lincoln NM accidently on one of our trips, well worth stopping and walking around. If anyone is in that area stop in Capitan NM and tour the Smokey the Bear Historical Park, the original Smokey is buried there.   

#10 XJINTX

XJINTX

• Members
  • 552 posts
  • LocationEddy, TX

Posted 07 March 2021 - 01:38 PM

As already mentioned... Chiricahua, National Park and the Gila Cliff Dwellings well worth the visit. When you get to Texas and done down in the Big Bend area a very nice place to kickback is the Ft Davis area.... city, fort and state park are nice easy day. If available the McDonald Observatory is nice too.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users