91 replies to this topic

#91 Lighthawk

Lighthawk

Weekend warrior

• Members
  • 3,319 posts
  • LocationNevada City, CA

Posted 13 November 2022 - 05:40 PM

I finished my installation of the Renogy 1000w inverter with exterior outlet to plug in my bike charger.  I installed a 100a resettable circuit breaker between the battery and the inverter. I also added a SAE connector so I can add a portable solar panel to pump up the 100ah LiPo battery.   While I was working in the battery box I replaced some older crimp connectors with heat shrink fittings.

I gave everything a quick test yesterday and the e-bike charged from 75% to 85% in a little more than half an hour.  The Victron battery monitor reported drawdown of -15a during the charging.  I added my portable 100w solar panel and it seemed to help, but it was an overcast day.  

I left the inverter turned on and had some of the original FWC incandescent lights on (I have LED lamps on the first detent, but still have original bulbs on the second detent of the OEM lights).   So when I went back the camper battery had gone down to 75%.  That gave me the opportunity to confirm my DC-DC charger was in good shape.  I had moved it to accommodate the Blue Sea breaker.  Started up the dual alternator RAM and watched 30a flow to the battery.    We have #4 wiring.  Soon enough my battery was back at 95%.

Thanks for all the great advice guys!   Between this forum and a phone call with KP Pawley I felt just smart enough to tackle this project.

Now I've got e-bike juice forever!

20221112_132228-S.jpg

I've got to do a little bondo repair to cover my miss-drilled hole.  

20221112_132235-S.jpg

Yes, that's a full suspension Specialized Turbo Levo!

What an amazing machine downhill and up.

20221112_132237-S.jpg

20221112_132415-L.jpg

I screwed to a metal stud on one side of the inverter, and had to use nylon toggles on the right side.

It's solid (for now), but I'll keep an eye on it.

The loom running up the corner goes to our USB charging station I set up years ago, direct off battery with inline fuse.  It's been great for tablets, phones and other charge-ables.  

20221112_132521-XL.jpg

It's a busy battery box.   Without longer studs I don't think I could add anything else to my system.

I like the idea of using a busbar for smaller loads.

2021 RAM 3500 Crew 4x4, 6.4 hemi/8 speed trans with 4.10 gears, Timber Grove bags, Falken Wildpeak 35" tires.

OEV Aluma 6.75 flatbed, Bundutec Odyssey camper on order for 2024

For this year we're still using our 2008 FWC Hawk with victron DC-DC charger, 130w solar, MPPT controler

with 2000w inverter and external 120v output and 12v solar input with 100w portable solar.   http://lighthawkphoto.com

#92 buckland

buckland

• Members
  • 3,078 posts
  • LocationNew England

Posted 13 November 2022 - 06:41 PM

I bet it feels great to accomplish such a complicated (for me) project and improving the camper. Electrical things can be daunting. Congrats on a success! It will open up more fun on trips. We have yet to travel with our e-bikes but look forward to it. 

Edited by buckland, 13 November 2022 - 06:41 PM.

2016 Duramax 2.8 Diesel long bed Colorado 4WD with 2011 Eagle

Lordwoodcraft  instagram        Rob
The only people who ever get anyplace interesting are the people who get lost.
Henry David Thoreau
"Work to achieve not to acquire"

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users