Charging ebike in the boonies

• Please log in to reply
91 replies to this topic

#11 muttmaster

muttmaster

• Members
  • 174 posts

Posted 09 March 2021 - 04:06 AM

Just checked Lunacycle website. They have many chargers. I better call Rad bike for possibility of 4 amp charger.

I won’t be charging three at the same time. Only one at a time. But maybe if I get the bigger inverter, and another charger, will I be able to charge two at the same time if the sun is high up?

Got a dirt bike. Ebike for shorter day trips and for more tranquility. I probably should not worry about it too much. Once it arrives, I will have plenty of time to ride and experiment. The range expected in stock battery is 20 miles or more, but range test was probably done on flat pavement, low elevation. riding downwind and tires fully inflate, etc. My rides will be in high elevations, dirt and sandy terrains. Just lowering tire pressure for soft stuff will use more juice.

I should just jump on the Lithium wagon and DIY a 280 ah pack and just run the inverter all night and charge the bike batteries without worrying about running out of juice.

Just ordered a Victron mppt 100/30. Thanks Vic, you convinced me to spent more stimulus money.

Edited by muttmaster, 09 March 2021 - 04:30 AM.

#12 Old Crow

Old Crow

Searching....

• Members
  • 1,059 posts
  • LocationSouth Central PA

Posted 09 March 2021 - 04:23 PM

Food for thought!  I like how this guy (Kyle at Bolton Electric Bikes) explains things...

'01 FWC Hawk shell on a '13 Tundra Double-Cab  + '19 Ford Transit van with Quigley 4x4 option

#13 muttmaster

muttmaster

• Members
  • 174 posts

Posted 09 March 2021 - 04:57 PM

Now I am really glad that I did not order the second stock battery when I ordered the bike. The video is for a different model bike, but their website shows a new 52v/16ah available for preorder at cheaper price, with a 3 amp charger include. I will get more power and save some money. I am on it. Thanks OldCrow!

Edited by muttmaster, 09 March 2021 - 04:59 PM.

#14 Vic Harder

Vic Harder

Doctor Electric

• Site Team
  • 4,948 posts
  • LocationCalgary, Alberta

Posted 09 March 2021 - 09:46 PM

You may want to check these numbers, thinking in Watt-hours.   If the batteries are 15Ah at 48V, that is 720Wh or 2160Wh for 3 batteries.  That is a lot of Ah at 12V!

ho boy.. yah, that makes a difference.  Good thing I am taking a break from posting on the "how to " thread.  Brain isn't working as it should!  Thanks for the kindly prod and correction!

I will go back and fix the calculations... 

#15 Wallowa

Wallowa

Double Ought

• Members
  • 2,173 posts
  • LocationNE Oregon

Posted 10 March 2021 - 01:04 AM

Have read about off road motorcycles that went from AGM [no spilling] to Li batteries to save weight...BUT temperature became an issue...low overnight temps to below freezing [many of my off road motorcycle trips have ice on the bikes in the AM] stopped the possibility of just starting the bikes and charging them in the morning..

What I am speculating about is will low temperatures limit the use of your batteries in terms of charging them...if they can be kept above freezing then I assume all is good..do not know if your ebike batteries have BMS features...

#16 muttmaster

muttmaster

• Members
  • 174 posts

Posted 10 March 2021 - 01:46 AM

I doubt that I will be charging the battery outside or below 32F. I believe they have built in BMS. They cost plenty, $500+, I am sure they are protected.

#17 muttmaster

muttmaster

• Members
  • 174 posts

Posted 10 March 2021 - 01:41 PM

Thanks Vic, Rando, OldCrow and all, I knew I could count on you to steer me in the right direction. I signed up on Electricbike.com forum with same topic and got many reply post since last night. Lots of ebike nerds been doing this for years and I am sure I will find my way there. Cheers.

#18 Vic Harder

Vic Harder

Doctor Electric

• Site Team
  • 4,948 posts

Posted 10 March 2021 - 10:46 PM

Let us know what you find out!

#19 muttmaster

muttmaster

• Members
  • 174 posts

Posted 10 March 2021 - 11:13 PM

I will try. Getting many post on best way to juice up.

I watch few Utube video on DIY Lithium. 280 ah with four cells plus BMS for $500 or so China. What do you think? I like to just use battery charger provide by Radbike and even charge two battery over night. I will have plenty of ah left in the AM.
My two AGM in Grandby is five years old now, doing fine, but planning on getting more juice.

Edited by muttmaster, 10 March 2021 - 11:14 PM.

#20 Vic Harder

Vic Harder

Doctor Electric

• Site Team
  • 4,948 posts

Posted 12 March 2021 - 02:03 AM

I will try. Getting many post on best way to juice up.

I watch few Utube video on DIY Lithium. 280 ah with four cells plus BMS for $500 or so China. What do you think? I like to just use battery charger provide by Radbike and even charge two battery over night. I will have plenty of ah left in the AM.
My two AGM in Grandby is five years old now, doing fine, but planning on getting more juice.

I'm not the expert here on DIY batteries.... sorry.  

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users