20 replies to this topic

#11 AWG_Pics

AWG_Pics

Into the Great Empty

• Members
  • 1,190 posts
  • LocationOregon

Posted 11 March 2021 - 08:34 PM

mmm... wonder if the current high prices for campers has made our rigs very attractive now... 

Four months ago I had a local guy ask via e-mail (thru WTW PM) if he could look at my camper and pickup because he was interested in getting a similar set-up. I could not get any good vibes. I suggested he instead go to the dealer, Mule Expeditions, 10 miles away in Portland and look at them. He did not seem entirely happy about that.

Stranger. Mid pandemic. Said he was in my neighborhood but would not reveal where he lived or any personal details. Not much to work with.

lived for several years each in Montana, Utah, Idaho, Texas, Washington, Oregon.

2019 Tundra, Hawk.

https://www.flickr.c...hotos/awg_pics/

#12 Missing Link

Missing Link

• Members
  • 507 posts
  • LocationFoothills of the Southern Sierra

Posted 11 March 2021 - 09:58 PM

Like Patrick, I am a nonuser of any social media platform but my wife has a Facebook account.

2017 F150 with 2017 Hawk

#13 Wandering Sagebrush

Wandering Sagebrush

Free Range Human

• Site Team
  • 10,536 posts
  • LocationNortheast Oregon

Posted 12 March 2021 - 01:46 AM

What is Facebook?  Asking for a friend!

On a serious note, be watchful.

I am haunted by waters

#14 AWG_Pics

AWG_Pics

Into the Great Empty

• Members
  • 1,190 posts
  • LocationOregon

Posted 12 March 2021 - 02:31 AM

We don't do FB or the Twit thing. I do have an Instagram account with about a dozen followers, all relatives or friends.

lived for several years each in Montana, Utah, Idaho, Texas, Washington, Oregon.

2019 Tundra, Hawk.

https://www.flickr.c...hotos/awg_pics/

#15 thisoldcamper

thisoldcamper

• Members
  • 167 posts
  • LocationIrmo, SC

Posted 12 March 2021 - 11:21 AM

So you non facebook users. No social media at all or do you use another platform?

WTW is about it for me... I might be a little anti-social :rolleyes:. Besides, I think facebook is a computer virus.

Thanks for the details on the theft.

Edited by thisoldcamper, 12 March 2021 - 11:24 AM.

#16 CougarCouple

CougarCouple

• Members
  • 1,376 posts
  • LocationLas Vegas

Posted 12 March 2021 - 01:05 PM

Isn’t this a social media platform. Small but seems we all are socializing. I dropped FB when it seemed to have traveled further round the bend than I was willing to travel.
Was still able to see the link on stolen rig, hope they don’t still have their hooks in me. Thank you WtW I think y’all are a great group.

Russ

Will keep my eye open for that rig!
F250 extended cab, Cougar from ATC. You guys rock thank you!

#17 DavidGraves

DavidGraves

• Members
  • 1,264 posts

Posted 12 March 2021 - 04:10 PM

THEFT !

Upwards of 6 travel trailers have been stolen over the past year here on the north Oregon coast.....some were clunkers and maybe taken for scrap value but some were near new camp trailers the owner has left on his little piece of heaven.

The world of "camping" has changed drastically with the seeming empowerment of being "homeless" ...at least west coast style.

I got no answers but lots of questions.

DG

#18 BillTheHiker

BillTheHiker

• Members
  • 307 posts
  • LocationBoise, ID

Posted 12 March 2021 - 04:36 PM

It would be interesting to learn how long the camper had been left unattended, how remote/isolated the location was. There was a thread somewhere on WTW within the past year regarding campers, mostly trailers, left on public land far longer than the posted camping limit. In some of  the  more remote FS roads in the Idaho mountains I see them all summer long and it seems to me they are inviting theft. It could be that some of them belong to FS personnel or contractors, but I never see anyone or any tow vehicle when I pass them.

Anyway, maybe a good idea to install a kill switch. In the old days when I backpacked for multiple days I pulled a spark plug wire, but that was when it was a simple thing to do.

Edited by BillTheHiker, 12 March 2021 - 04:37 PM.

#19 Kolockum

Kolockum

Still Wandering

• Members
  • 622 posts
  • LocationWashington

Posted 12 March 2021 - 04:55 PM

One nice thing about Facebook market place is you can look through the profile of people you are talking to and get a better idea of what you are dealing with.

I normally tell people to meet in front of the local sheriffs office. If they have a problem with it then I bail.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

2017 Toyota Tacoma with 2000 FWC Eagle

"The nut behind the wheel is the most important one. Don't forget to snug yourself up every once in a while." John D & ri-f

#20 Smokecreek1

Smokecreek1

Smokecreek1

• Members
  • 2,758 posts
  • LocationNE Calif/NW Nev

Posted 12 March 2021 - 07:04 PM

I got  face book when it first came on and I look at it carefully  off and on to keep informed of old friends, and what's happening locally.  I rarely use it to "talk" to others on it.  Like  most of us here WTW is my main social networking  but since Covid-19 and all the all the local weather and fire emergencies we have had here over the last few years,  I find that it frequently is the only/main source of info.   To the other subject, people "stealing our beloved pop-ups"!  Over the years, like many of us I have been approached many times and in many places by strangers interested in my pop-up and as expressed here on WTW many times, seemed to be part of owning one of these  things!  You just have to use your common sense, I guess,  whether their motives are good or bad, and act accordingly but generally most of them are just interested. In any event, most of us as a part of our usual defensive  and safety procedures try to be prepared for the other!

Smoke

Smokecreek1:99F1504x4with05Granby

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users