40 replies to this topic

#21 ski3pin

ski3pin

Belay On

• Site Team
  • 15,316 posts
  • LocationSierra Nevada Range

Posted 13 March 2021 - 11:26 PM

Another great TR.  It always amazes me how you guys take some area that some (not us) would call worthless nothingness, to hot,  full of rocks not fit for nothing and turn it into a great story(s) -yep people were here, they lived, worked, had dreams-some died!.  The old archaeologist always likes the rock art. Me I use mud (probably not handy there) or Stingez (old BLM standby) for any insect bites.  I'm ready now for part 3-please!

Smoke

Thanks Smoke! Nothing worthless out there at all - except for a few of our fellow visitors. :) 

Part three will be right up your alley. :)

2003 Ford Ranger FX4 Level II 2013 ATC Bobcat SE "And in the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years."- Abraham Lincoln  http://ski3pin.blogspot.com/

#22 ski3pin

ski3pin

Belay On

• Site Team
  • 15,316 posts

Posted 13 March 2021 - 11:28 PM

ski3pin- This TR certainly has more drama (humor?)

...where danger was omnipresent. Sidewinders and scorpions are hidden beneath every rock and bush, in every nook and cranny,

than most of your posts, and is a little more risque too.  Behind every rock and bush makes for a lot of sidewinders and scorpions; it's amazing any of those old prospectors and current explorers lived.

To think you get all that fun while I'm stuck painting and plastering in the pantry makes me think life is unfair at times!

Looking forward to your further reports....

dr.tucson

ps I’m sure the young man wrenching on the Ranger could just eyeball the tow-in.

Yup, its darned lucky anyone survived at all! Thanks for the comment. Your ps made our day. :)

2003 Ford Ranger FX4 Level II 2013 ATC Bobcat SE "And in the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years."- Abraham Lincoln  http://ski3pin.blogspot.com/

#23 ski3pin

ski3pin

Belay On

• Site Team
  • 15,316 posts

Posted 13 March 2021 - 11:29 PM

Thanks for your always interesting trip reports. We love Death Valley and will be back there next fall likely. Your descriptions and photos remind us of our many adventures. You have been to many of the same places we have, but amazingly you find much that we had overlooked. There is always something new in the desert! Thanks again.

Tony

Thanks Tony! There is always something new in the desert. :)

#24 ski3pin

ski3pin

Belay On

• Site Team
  • 15,316 posts

Posted 13 March 2021 - 11:33 PM

We just got home and camped on that same exact spot.  You have many of the same pictures too.  2 days ago though, it was cloudy, some rain/sleet and when we left yesterday, there was a lot of snow on the higher peaks!

Sorry, we don't leave lights on. :)

Hope you had a great trip. Our last night was in Panamint Valley when a front came through. 30 mph winds, dark clouds, and verga everywhere. Not a drop of rain hit the ground. Saw a report this morning of up to a foot of snow on Hunter Mountain.

#25 ski3pin

ski3pin

Belay On

• Site Team
  • 15,316 posts

Posted 13 March 2021 - 11:35 PM

Well, the story is finished. I need another trip to rest up from all the work. But that would only lead to more work. :)

The final chapter can be found here -

Death Valley Again! - March 2021

#26 Wandering Sagebrush

Wandering Sagebrush

Free Range Human

• Site Team
  • 10,575 posts
  • LocationNortheast Oregon

Posted 13 March 2021 - 11:52 PM

Impressive finds, well done!

I am haunted by waters

#27 Foy

Foy

Resident Geologist

• Members
  • 1,295 posts
  • LocationRaleigh, NC

Posted 14 March 2021 - 01:19 AM

The second picture within the second narrows (22 of 64) shows what I think is a world-class rip-clast conglomerate, often referred to as an edgwise conglomerate in the old school nomenclature. They'll form within a shallow water depositional environment when still unconsolidated layers of clay or lime mud are ripped up by water currents, transported by the current, and settle out as the current slows. The clasts are often redeposited within a matrix of coarser sediment.

The geology of DV never fails to deliver!  Ditto with your trip reports!

Foy

Edited by Foy, 14 March 2021 - 01:19 AM.

#28 ski3pin

ski3pin

Belay On

• Site Team
  • 15,316 posts

Posted 14 March 2021 - 03:14 PM

The second picture within the second narrows (22 of 64) shows what I think is a world-class rip-clast conglomerate, often referred to as an edgwise conglomerate in the old school nomenclature. They'll form within a shallow water depositional environment when still unconsolidated layers of clay or lime mud are ripped up by water currents, transported by the current, and settle out as the current slows. The clasts are often redeposited within a matrix of coarser sediment.

The geology of DV never fails to deliver!  Ditto with your trip reports!

Foy

What a great explanation of the story in the rocks! Thanks Foy. In one of the driest places on earth we are looking at rock formed under water. Not only does it make me go imagining the the past but also consider what all this might look like in one or two million years in the future. We are riding on a very dynamic planet. Wow. :)

#29 ski3pin

ski3pin

Belay On

• Site Team
  • 15,316 posts

Posted 14 March 2021 - 03:14 PM

Impressive finds, well done!

Thank you very much, Mr. Sage. :)

#30 Missing Link

Missing Link

• Members
  • 507 posts
  • LocationFoothills of the Southern Sierra

Posted 14 March 2021 - 03:17 PM

Thanks for another amazing TR.  It seems like the research that you two do prior to heading out almost always pays off.  Marble Canyon has long been a favorite of ours but now you have provided new inspiration for a return trip.  

2017 F150 with 2017 Hawk

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users