#11 wcj

wcj

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 49 posts
  • LocationSW Montana

Posted 15 March 2021 - 01:56 AM

Thanks for the link, lots of good information. Still debating between a chest type and replacing the upright. Haven't decided.

2004 chevy duramax 73 cabover (sold to a friend) 70 NCO rebuilt 2004 cabover

#12 Dr.Science

Dr.Science

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 45 posts

Posted 13 April 2021 - 10:02 PM

Step 1 completed. Ended up last week with a 2013 Silverado 2500 extended cab, gas, 62K miles, rated to carry 3,275#; and just last night plunked a 1990 8' CO into it, which was listed on Craiglist that same day by a guy who lives 5 miles from me! The camper is a little bit rough but the price was good (considering this market), the wood and skin are totally sound, the hydraulics work fine, and I feel comfortable enough with sorting out the propane, plumbing and electrical systems. Excited.

#13 Wandering Sagebrush

Wandering Sagebrush

Free Range Human

• Site Team
  • 10,589 posts
  • LocationNortheast Oregon

Posted 14 April 2021 - 01:38 AM

Step 1 completed. Ended up last week with a 2013 Silverado 2500 extended cab, gas, 62K miles, rated to carry 3,275#; and just last night plunked a 1990 8' CO into it, which was listed on Craiglist that same day by a guy who lives 5 miles from me! The camper is a little bit rough but the price was good (considering this market), the wood and skin are totally sound, the hydraulics work fine, and I feel comfortable enough with sorting out the propane, plumbing and electrical systems. Excited.

Congrats on both truck and camper!   We need to see the photos!

I am haunted by waters

#14 ski3pin

ski3pin

Belay On

• Site Team
  • 15,338 posts
  • LocationSierra Nevada Range

Posted 14 April 2021 - 04:03 AM

Good scores, congrats!

2003 Ford Ranger FX4 Level II 2013 ATC Bobcat SE "And in the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years."- Abraham Lincoln  http://ski3pin.blogspot.com/

#15 Dr.Science

Dr.Science

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 45 posts

Posted 15 April 2021 - 11:50 PM

Just uploaded a gallery:

Currently trying to figure things out. The wiring is a bit of a mess - everything seems to be plugged in to the battery. 15A power controller and 8A fridge leaves very little leeway for other power consumption. Fridge seems to not work in 12V mode, haven't done troubleshooting yet. Haven't figured out water or propane systems, but they'll probably need some attention. Yesterday built an insulated base to fill the 2" gap between camper floor and truck bed, installed it today, then removed about 200# of electric jacks. The camper fits into the truck bed with the tailgate securely closed, and the truck feels great, hardly even notices the weight (which my original owner's manual tells me is precisely 1500# wet weight, though I think water and propane are currently empty). What's the consensus on tie-downs for this kind of set-up? The camper came with a set of Happijacks but the front of the truck bed has a fashionable curve to it so I don't think I can fit them at the front end. Rear end is workable.

#16 Beach

Beach

• Members
  • 866 posts

Posted 16 April 2021 - 02:46 AM

Congrats, sounds like you got the rig you wanted. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users