• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#1 12valve

12valve

• Members
  • 130 posts
  • LocationVentura, California

Posted 15 March 2021 - 06:38 PM

Planning a trip to DV, but having difficulty finding out certain information. We are planning on going to the Racetrack and hiking Ubehebe peak. My last visit I was able to camp in a small area past (South) of the Racetrack parking. I get the impression you are not able to camp at that location anymore. Does anybody know for certain? If there is no camping there, where would be the nearest location? We will be in 2 vehicles, both off road capable. Thanks.

2005 Reg Cab Dodge Diesel 4x4 6sp, far, far from stock. Gutted 4 wheel camper pop up, now a shell that rests on the bed rails. Rebuilt the interior, much simpler, far more user friendly.   Much better. 

#2 Fishyhead

Fishyhead

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 68 posts
  • LocationAnaheim, CA

Posted 15 March 2021 - 09:29 PM

Are you talking about the Homestake Dry Camp at the south end of the Race Track where it meets Lippincott Mine Rd?

Where did you see that it was closed?  The NPS site doesn't mention anything about it.  If I couldn't camp there, I'd go up to Teakettle Junction then camp off of Hunter Mountain road before reaching the spur to the Lost Burro mine.

https://www.nps.gov/...it/backcamp.htm

1997 Toyota T100 4x4 manual - 1993 FWC Ranger 8'

#3 12valve

12valve

• Members
  • 130 posts

Posted 16 March 2021 - 02:01 AM

Got it, thank you! I know the Homestake Camp is small and will fill easily. I also know Hunter Mtn Road and the Lost Burro Mine area. You were a big help, thanks.  

2005 Reg Cab Dodge Diesel 4x4 6sp, far, far from stock. Gutted 4 wheel camper pop up, now a shell that rests on the bed rails. Rebuilt the interior, much simpler, far more user friendly.   Much better. 

#4 kmcintyre

kmcintyre

• Members
  • 1,381 posts
  • LocationBoise, ID

Posted 16 March 2021 - 11:40 PM

We just got back a few days ago.  Homesteak is open.  I'd say there's probably 10 spots total and when we were there the max campers we saw was 3.  No issues, no crowds.

Boise, ID

2022 Chevy 3500 HD

2023 FWC Flatbed Hawk

#5 ski3pin

ski3pin

Belay On

• Site Team
  • 15,321 posts
  • LocationSierra Nevada Range

Posted 17 March 2021 - 10:53 PM

We were surprised to learn on our last trip that dispersed camping is now allowed (in used sites) along Racetrack Road 2 miles from Ubehebe Crater to Teakettle Junction. No camping past Teakettle until Homestake. No way would I camp along that dust cloud but was surprised to see used campsites - unfortunately also with new illegal campfire rings. Break them down and carry out the ashes. Ubehebe Peak is well worth the effort. Have fun.

2003 Ford Ranger FX4 Level II 2013 ATC Bobcat SE "And in the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years."- Abraham Lincoln  http://ski3pin.blogspot.com/

#6 Lighthawk

Lighthawk

Weekend warrior

• Members
  • 3,319 posts
  • LocationNevada City, CA

Posted 18 March 2021 - 12:51 AM

Fishyhead has the right idea.

You can also drive up opposite Lost Burro Mine, heading north towards White Mountain.   You follow miles of an old water pipeline.

It's an immense bajada and there's roadside DV style camping about the same level as the mouth of Perdido Canyon.

Nothing fancy, but isolation with a big view.

2021 RAM 3500 Crew 4x4, 6.4 hemi/8 speed trans with 4.10 gears, Timber Grove bags, Falken Wildpeak 35" tires.

OEV Aluma 6.75 flatbed, Bundutec Odyssey camper on order for 2024

For this year we're still using our 2008 FWC Hawk with victron DC-DC charger, 130w solar, MPPT controler

with 2000w inverter and external 120v output and 12v solar input with 100w portable solar.   http://lighthawkphoto.com

#7 12valve

12valve

• Members
  • 130 posts

Posted 19 March 2021 - 10:26 PM

Good information here, thanks! We plan on hiking Uhebebe Peak, have done it before and well worth a second visit. Since we will be driving down Hidden Valley Road, going to the White Mountain area instead of Homesteak may be a option, it it does not make for too long of a day. Lost Burro Mine is always fun to visit. 

#8 ski3pin

ski3pin

Belay On

• Site Team
  • 15,321 posts

Posted 19 March 2021 - 10:34 PM

The dispersed sites that Lighthawk mentions are excellent in this area. Have you hiked Corridor Canyon? The one dry fall required a rope when we last visited, but Corridor is one of our favorites.

2003 Ford Ranger FX4 Level II 2013 ATC Bobcat SE "And in the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years."- Abraham Lincoln  http://ski3pin.blogspot.com/

#9 12valve

12valve

• Members
  • 130 posts

Posted 21 March 2021 - 06:34 PM

Corridor canyon sounds and looks awesome! Not this trip as one in our group (4) would not be up to the task. Next trip it will be a priority. I was wondering about a rope. Easy to take and I have all the accessories and skill to use them. Good insurance. Perdido canyon and adjoining areas have moved up a few notches on the list. 

ONE (ha) more question: Any reports of snow up Hunter Mountain Road? Thinking of going over to Cerro Good and out through Keeler. I know 9100 is getting up there. 

Conglomerate Mesa is on the potential list. The L.A. Times had a big article on that area. A open pit gold min is in the works, thanks to a Australian mining company and thanks to the 1872 Mining Law.

#10 ski3pin

ski3pin

Belay On

• Site Team
  • 15,321 posts

Posted 21 March 2021 - 07:21 PM

I have not seen any current conditions on Hunter Mountain Road. It holds snow and water in many places along the top and can be miserable to get through - as the deeply rutted road shows in those areas. Also, there is one shaded area on the switch backs down had has a spring seeping across the road that can be an exciting ice rink. But, as I said I have no current conditions. Have a good trip!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users