4 replies to this topic

#1 ski3pin

ski3pin

Belay On

• Site Team
  • 15,255 posts
  • LocationSierra Nevada Range

Posted 21 March 2021 - 10:29 PM

Several years ago, for our first camper that we rebuilt, I bought a Lagun knock off table mount from Springfield Marine in Oregon - these were only offered for a year or so and possibly were halted by a patent challenge (pure speculation on my part because they suddenly disappeared from the marketplace). I compared it to actual Lagun mounts and they were close to identical. Main reason (besides being frugal) I bought the knock off was I needed to shorten several pieces to resize the mount for our small camper. I moved the table mount into our new camper in 2013.

Two years ago while traveling the Lady dropped her heavy duffle on the outside end of the table top, the result was damage to the male post on the vertical support that engages into the female receptacle on the horizontal support. The male post is aluminum covered with a cap of hard plastic. The leverage of the impact sheered the .25" plastic cap off the top of the aluminum post. The result was the horizontal support and the tabletop wobbled severely. Unfortunately I did not take a photo to better illustrate.

Since we rarely pivoted the table about - the attractive feature of the Lagun - I made the table support rock solid. I cut off both of the posts - the one on the vertical upright and the one from the table top attachment piece into the end of the horizontal support. I fashioned two 1/8" aluminum braces to join the vertical and horizontal supports together - making sure everything was square. I bolted the horizontal support to the table top attachment piece with two hex head bolts.

Photos of the result. The table is now rock solid. In the future, for our use, I would not go with a Lagun mount but assemble my own from aluminum stock.

Camper-Mar2021-005-copy.jpg

Camper-Mar2021-003-copy.jpg

Camper-Mar2021-004-copy.jpg

2003 Ford Ranger FX4 Level II 2013 ATC Bobcat SE "And in the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years."- Abraham Lincoln  http://ski3pin.blogspot.com/

#2 jimjxsn

jimjxsn

• Members
  • 598 posts
  • LocationRoxborough Park or Buena Vista CO

Posted 23 March 2021 - 03:28 PM

Ski,

Nice work, I wish I could cut aluminum like that.  I'm a hack  :)

~Jim
2000 Tundra AC- 2000 FWC Ranger

2017 Tundra DC - 2017 ATC Panther

#3 Wandering Sagebrush

Wandering Sagebrush

Free Range Human

• Site Team
  • 10,534 posts
  • LocationNortheast Oregon

Posted 24 March 2021 - 01:08 PM

Nice fix, Mr. 3Pin!  Your work is always impressive.

I am haunted by waters

#4 goinoregon

goinoregon

• Members
  • 506 posts
  • LocationPDX

Posted 25 March 2021 - 02:34 AM

do you cut that aluminum with a miter saw, with metal blade ??

Oregon

#5 ski3pin

ski3pin

Belay On

• Site Team
  • 15,255 posts
  • LocationSierra Nevada Range

Posted 26 March 2021 - 04:10 PM

do you cut that aluminum with a miter saw, with metal blade ??

When cutting thin aluminum stock I put a metal cutting blade on my bandsaw. 

2003 Ford Ranger FX4 Level II 2013 ATC Bobcat SE "And in the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years."- Abraham Lincoln  http://ski3pin.blogspot.com/

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users