Photo

Pulling the BMS sensor on late model Ford trucks to improve charging.

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 SkyP

SkyP

• Members
  • 112 posts
  • LocationSouth Carolina

Posted 26 March 2021 - 11:55 PM

Played around a little today with the battery charging to the Deka Gel battery in my ATC from my 2020 F150.

With the BMS (battery management sensor) plug attached I was getting only about 2A into the camper battery at 13.2 V.

Unplugged the sensor and I was getting 10A at 14.7 volts-  quite an improvement. 

Full disclosure I only have an 8AWG wire from the Ford battery to the SAE pigtail that ATC supplies out the right front lower corner.  The pigtail appears to be 10AWG into the ACR and on to the battery nearby, about 3-4 ft.   

On the Ford forums lots of people have run with the sensor disconnected for a year or more to resolve dead battery issues.   Doesn't seem to harm anything from all reports.

I will eventually probably end up with a true DC to DC charger- undecided right now which one and how big.   Probably will go LiFePO4- been very pleased with the Battleborn in my Camplite travel trailer.*

*I was struggling with excess tongue weight- removing 140lbs of 6V golf cart batteries from the tongue and replacing with a 30lb LiFePo4 in the very rear of the camper worked great.  

Edited by SkyP, 26 March 2021 - 11:57 PM.

20 F150 4x4 18 ATC Panther

96 F350 4x4  99 FWC Grandby Shell (sold)

15 Aliner Scout

18 Camplite 16TBS

#2 ri-f

ri-f

• Members
  • 263 posts
  • LocationPacific Northwest

Posted 27 March 2021 - 04:10 PM

Played around a little today with the battery charging to the Deka Gel battery in my ATC from my 2020 F150.

With the BMS (battery management sensor) plug attached I was getting only about 2A into the camper battery at 13.2 V.

Unplugged the sensor and I was getting 10A at 14.7 volts-  quite an improvement. 

Full disclosure I only have an 8AWG wire from the Ford battery to the SAE pigtail that ATC supplies out the right front lower corner.  The pigtail appears to be 10AWG into the ACR and on to the battery nearby, about 3-4 ft.   

On the Ford forums lots of people have run with the sensor disconnected for a year or more to resolve dead battery issues.   Doesn't seem to harm anything from all reports.

I will eventually probably end up with a true DC to DC charger- undecided right now which one and how big.   Probably will go LiFePO4- been very pleased with the Battleborn in my Camplite travel trailer.*

*I was struggling with excess tongue weight- removing 140lbs of 6V golf cart batteries from the tongue and replacing with a 30lb LiFePo4 in the very rear of the camper worked great.  

SkyP - That extra voltage (14.7v) coming in is a nice boost, for short bursts while driving. I think that with your BB, a good 30 amp DC-to-DC with 4 AWG or possibly 6 AWG will give you a very nice, controlled charge profile for your Lithium and keep it happy. I've installed a Sterling 1230 (30 amp) in my FWC. It will output, typically, 25-30 amps and taper it down based on how full the battery is. It will step up or step down the charge according to the set points you program in. It's a 4-stage charger with a dedicated Lithium profile that can be customized. The actual unit has large vents in its housing for cooling, so it stays relatively cool to the touch. They make a 60 amp version as well but I'm happy with the 30 amp. It will charge up my single 100AH BB in a few hours (3-4) if it's depleted by 50-75%. And it is easy on my 130 amp alternator. It plays well with my solar, too.

Rich

- 2001 Cummins 2500 quad cab 4x4 turbo diesel; NV4500 5-spd manual transmission; CM aluminum flatbed, '20 FWC Hawk shell - hybrid buildout.  https://ian-frese-of...r.blogspot.com/

- 2004 Jeep TJ - Rubicon

#3 SkyP

SkyP

• Members
  • 112 posts
  • LocationSouth Carolina

Posted 27 March 2021 - 05:06 PM

Hi Rich, I happen to have a Sterling 30A B-B charger in my Transit van. It has done a great job for the last 3 years or so. A little cyptic to program though.
I'll be selling the Transit and am struggling with leaving it for a purchaser or taking it out and swapping in the ACR from the Panther.
The house battery in the Transit is a grp 31 AGM and the truck batteries are also AGM.
That Sterling IIRC was around $300 and I doubt it would add anywhere near that value to a used Transit sale.

For now I'm still deciding which way to go- I was quite surprised to find a Gel battery in the Panther from the factory. It is dated 3/18 - I have no real experience with Gel but quite a lot with AGM and some with the Lithium.

I'm thinking of removing the Lithium from my TT when I use the Panther- and putting it back in the TT when it is used- I'll likely never use the 2 together.
The TT is mostly used when the wife goes- my grandson and I go often and usually go in the Transit or now the f150/Panther. We've done a couple of summer trips of around 30 days each- one was almost 10k mi and the other was 8k mi.

He is 14 and wants to go to deserts this summer-  really?  I asked him didn't he remember the time we went to Death Valley on the 10k trip and it was 128f :unsure:

Edited by SkyP, 27 March 2021 - 05:12 PM.

15 Aliner Scout

18 Camplite 16TBS

#4 ri-f

ri-f

• Members
  • 263 posts

Posted 27 March 2021 - 06:28 PM

Hi Rich, I happen to have a Sterling 30A B-B charger in my Transit van. It has done a great job for the last 3 years or so. A little cyptic to program though.
I'll be selling the Transit and am struggling with leaving it for a purchaser or taking it out and swapping in the ACR from the Panther.
The house battery in the Transit is a grp 31 AGM and the truck batteries are also AGM.
That Sterling IIRC was around $300 and I doubt it would add anywhere near that value to a used Transit sale.

For now I'm still deciding which way to go- I was quite surprised to find a Gel battery in the Panther from the factory. It is dated 3/18 - I have no real experience with Gel but quite a lot with AGM and some with the Lithium.

I'm thinking of removing the Lithium from my TT when I use the Panther- and putting it back in the TT when it is used- I'll likely never use the 2 together.
The TT is mostly used when the wife goes- my grandson and I go often and usually go in the Transit or now the f150/Panther. We've done a couple of summer trips of around 30 days each- one was almost 10k mi and the other was 8k mi.

He is 14 and wants to go to deserts this summer-  really?  I asked him didn't he remember the time we went to Death Valley on the 10k trip and it was 128f :unsure:

Are you referring to the ACR 7611? If so, it won't be compatible with your Lithium battery. Blue Seas recommends against it. I'd probably either pull the Sterling from the Transit or leave it in and replace it with a new Sterling. Yes, the Sterling is a little cryptic to set up, sort of like unlocking and rooting your Android smartphone and installing a new ROM. Not exacting a one-click operation. But the Sterling is a stellar DC-to-DC and does perform extremely well, once you get it set up. Worth it. I know what you're talking about regarding Death Valley in the summer. Gadzooks. But it will be the off season : ).

Rich

Edited by ri-f, 27 March 2021 - 06:30 PM.

- 2001 Cummins 2500 quad cab 4x4 turbo diesel; NV4500 5-spd manual transmission; CM aluminum flatbed, '20 FWC Hawk shell - hybrid buildout.  https://ian-frese-of...r.blogspot.com/

- 2004 Jeep TJ - Rubicon

#5 SkyP

SkyP

• Members
  • 112 posts
  • LocationSouth Carolina

Posted 27 March 2021 - 07:23 PM

The ACR, AOPEC brand,  in my Panther is a knockoff of the Blue Sea from what I can tell.  If I move the Sterling from the Transit to the Panther then the Panther's AOPEC ACR would go in the Transit- the Transit has all AGM, 3 of them- 2 for the vehicle and one for the house stuff- lights, an ARB cooler and a Webasto Gasoline Heater.   

I'm somewhat overloaded with camper's at the moment-  the Transit, the Panther, the old Grandby, the CampLite travel trailer AND an Aliner! :lol:

15 Aliner Scout

18 Camplite 16TBS

#6 ri-f

ri-f

• Members
  • 263 posts

Posted 27 March 2021 - 07:44 PM

The ACR, AOPEC brand,  in my Panther is a knockoff of the Blue Sea from what I can tell.  If I move the Sterling from the Transit to the Panther then the Panther's AOPEC ACR would go in the Transit- the Transit has all AGM, 3 of them- 2 for the vehicle and one for the house stuff- lights, an ARB cooler and a Webasto Gasoline Heater.   

I'm somewhat overloaded with camper's at the moment-  the Transit, the Panther, the old Grandby, the CampLite travel trailer AND an Aliner! :lol:

Sounds like that should work out well, in your armada.

- 2004 Jeep TJ - Rubicon

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users