#1 Keith in Co

Keith in Co

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 45 posts
  • LocationCanon City, CO

Posted 31 March 2021 - 02:15 AM

Last week I took a six day tour of some Wyoming ski resorts, and stayed in my ‘66 Alaskan 8’ NCO. My main objective was Grand Targhee, where it snowed 22” while I was there on top of 105” base. Great powder skiing and scenery. My ‘01 Dodge 2500 Cummins was in 4x4 some, but never needed chains. 

Temperatures were about 10f at night and higher 20s during the day. Let my Wave 3 catalytic heater run on low during the day (to keep water system and lithium battery from freezing) and on high at night. Used 1/2” foam board shutters for the side windows, as the single panes would have leaked too many BTUs. Used the front window for ventilation, and plugged the ceiling vent with a Camco insulated block. Stayed comfortable, although after awhile humidity started to build up, so I’ll be looking into a 12v dehumidifier for future winter trips. Found the Memory Foam I used when recovering my seat cushions was much warmer than the stock cushions.

Water system rebuilt with PEX lines and 12v pump were trouble free. Gray water was returned to nature.

My three, 100w solar panels worked great. Even with several inches of snow on them, they kept the 100ah house battery charged about 90% or more. Ran my Novakool refer/freezer, LED lights, and USB chargers.

Used a new Omnia stove top oven for the first time, and it did everything I wanted it to do. Great to be able to bake food.

[

Attached Thumbnails

• 2A930D57-6E9A-453E-90E7-8FC6BA728EF7.jpeg

#2 Wandering Sagebrush

Wandering Sagebrush

Free Range Human

• Site Team
  • 10,589 posts
  • LocationNortheast Oregon

Posted 31 March 2021 - 02:23 AM

Keith, that sounds like a good trip, and everything functioned as advertised! Even better!

I am haunted by waters

#3 Lighthawk

Lighthawk

Weekend warrior

• Members
  • 3,319 posts
  • LocationNevada City, CA

Posted 31 March 2021 - 05:14 AM

Really great use of the right equipment to stay functional in 10-20F temps.  

We run a Wave 3 also.

Sounds like some good powder skiing.

2021 RAM 3500 Crew 4x4, 6.4 hemi/8 speed trans with 4.10 gears, Timber Grove bags, Falken Wildpeak 35" tires.

OEV Aluma 6.75 flatbed, Bundutec Odyssey camper on order for 2024

For this year we're still using our 2008 FWC Hawk with victron DC-DC charger, 130w solar, MPPT controler

with 2000w inverter and external 120v output and 12v solar input with 100w portable solar.   http://lighthawkphoto.com

#4 milee

milee

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 31 March 2021 - 03:48 PM

Sounds like a great trip. I spy some tele skis! Would like to do a similar trip next year from CA out to Grand Targhee & Jackson.

A few questions about your setup, which sounds quite dialed-in:

Where do you store your skis? I was thinking of putting a cloth ski bag in the wheel well, but there isn’t too much space there if I’d like to bring multiple pairs (xcountry, resort tele, touring, etc - quiver seems to grow constantly)

How is your wave 3 heater mounted?

#5 ski3pin

ski3pin

Belay On

• Site Team
  • 15,338 posts
  • LocationSierra Nevada Range

Posted 31 March 2021 - 03:58 PM

Very nice! :)

2003 Ford Ranger FX4 Level II 2013 ATC Bobcat SE "And in the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years."- Abraham Lincoln  http://ski3pin.blogspot.com/

#6 Casa Escarlata Robles Too

Casa Escarlata Robles Too

C'est la vie

• Site Team
  • 9,295 posts
  • Locationmonterey bay area

Posted 31 March 2021 - 08:42 PM

Nice but looks cold.

Thanks.

Frank

2002 Tundra AC TRD 4WD Limited 2009 ATC Bobcat loaded http://sharychic.blogspot.com/

#7 LuckyDan

LuckyDan

• Members
  • 644 posts
  • LocationBased in Eastern, NOW CENTRAL Oregon

Posted 31 March 2021 - 09:04 PM

An epic trip in my book for sure. Congratulations on success!

Old, bum around in Ford and an even older FWC Grandby

New Mantra: "Everyday camping is just making up for lost time"

#8 CougarCouple

CougarCouple

• Members
  • 1,376 posts
  • LocationLas Vegas

Posted 01 April 2021 - 03:20 AM

Nice trip report Kieth in Co. That put the Alaskan thru her paces, do you know if the windows can be upgraded?

Russ
F250 extended cab, Cougar from ATC. You guys rock thank you!

#9 Keith in Co

Keith in Co

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 45 posts
  • LocationCanon City, CO

Posted 01 April 2021 - 04:03 PM

Sounds like a great trip. I spy some tele skis! Would like to do a similar trip next year from CA out to Grand Targhee & Jackson.

A few questions about your setup, which sounds quite dialed-in:

Where do you store your skis? I was thinking of putting a cloth ski bag in the wheel well, but there isn’t too much space there if I’d like to bring multiple pairs (xcountry, resort tele, touring, etc - quiver seems to grow constantly)

How is your wave 3 heater mounted?

I carry my skis on a Yakima rack mounted to 78” Yakima round bars which are U-bolted to the roof rack. I made the rack out of 1.5” mill finish aluminum square tubing reinforced with L-track. Square tubing is attached to the stock canoe mounts upgraded with Grade 5 bolts to the camper. With the 78” bars, I could carry four pairs of skis, two on each side. Accessing the roof rack is a high-wire act even with the camper lowered, especially with ice and snow.

Skis are NTN (Never Telemark Normal) with Rottefella freeride bindings.

Wave 3 is screwed to a 1/4” plywood panel which covers the original heater location below the closet doors. 

Attached Thumbnails

• A705053E-6540-411E-893B-208749BF6649.jpeg
  • 034A19FB-C0CB-4760-8E81-4FE24C089D9E.jpeg

#10 Mighty Dodge Ram

Mighty Dodge Ram

• Members
  • 1,003 posts
  • LocationClose to the edge...

Posted 01 April 2021 - 04:08 PM

Great set-up for those kind of trips. 👍

Richard
1996 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4, lightly lifted, ARB bumper/Warn winch, BFG AT/KO2, Snugtop shell. SOLD! But not forgotten!
2002 Chevy 2500HD XC LB 6.0L 4X4, Leer Hi-Rise shell, completely stock...for now!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users