#11 Keith in Co

Keith in Co

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 45 posts
  • LocationCanon City, CO

Posted 06 April 2021 - 05:47 PM

Nice trip report Kieth in Co. That put the Alaskan thru her paces, do you know if the windows can be upgraded?

Russ

I’m unaware of any plug-n-play upgrade for the windows. I upgraded the big window in the front above the table by paying a local glass shop an exorbitant amount to make a custom double pane replacement.  Noting that Airstream puts a shield over their front window, I then added a third layer by clamping a sheet of 1/4” Acrylic Safety Glazing, which made it triple glazed. 

#12 Keith in Co

Keith in Co

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 45 posts
  • LocationCanon City, CO

Posted 06 April 2021 - 06:01 PM

Nice but looks cold.

Thanks.

Frank

Yes, it was cold and snowy much of the time.  
I have yet to see anyone with an “overlander” roof top tent camping in any ski area parking lot. I sure wouldn’t want to be standing outside preparing dinner in those conditions. I guess sleeping on top of your truck in a tent in winter during heavy snow isn’t what they’re geared for. 

Attached Thumbnails

• 1EB5DB78-E1E2-415A-9EE0-3AA8C808A6E3.jpeg

#13 DanoT

DanoT

• Members
  • 278 posts
  • LocationSun Peaks, B.C.

Posted 07 April 2021 - 04:31 AM

Does Grand Targee allow overnight parking in their parking lot?

Jackson Hole and the town of Jackson are very strict about not allowing RV parking anywhere, but winter is the off season for Jackson and there are a lot of inexpensive lodges. The Motel 6 is recently remodeled and less than $60/night.

1991 Dodge CTD, owned since new. 2011 Coyote RV Phoenix pop-up camper, custom made for the Canadian winter.

#14 Keith in Co

Keith in Co

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 45 posts
  • LocationCanon City, CO

Posted 08 April 2021 - 02:37 PM

Does Grand Targee allow overnight parking in their parking lot?

Yup

https://www.grandtar...ing-rv-parking/

#15 Denver Alaskan

Denver Alaskan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 83 posts

Posted 11 April 2021 - 12:36 AM

Keith: 

A fine report on an excellent week of Wyoming skiing! Your Alaskan is well equipped for such high adventures. Some time soon we should meet up at La Casa Fiesta in Monument, CO for margs and checking out each other's nicely equipped 1966 Alaskan 8' NCOs. First round is on me. :)

#16 Keith in Co

Keith in Co

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 45 posts
  • LocationCanon City, CO

Posted 15 April 2021 - 09:17 PM

F254D6A8-BE23-4650-9ED2-A5DF949C0B9E.jpeg

Keith: 

A fine report on an excellent week of Wyoming skiing! Your Alaskan is well equipped for such high adventures. Some time soon we should meet up at La Casa Fiesta in Monument, CO for margs and checking out each other's nicely equipped 1966 Alaskan 8' NCOs. First round is on me. :)

Sounds like a plan!  My recollection is that the last time we spoke was 20+ years ago in Ouray when you had a 10’ NCO on a utility bed Dodge - time to catch up. Also, this year I hope to attend the overland expo in Loveland on August 28th, so if you plan to be there please let me know. 

#17 enelson

enelson

• Members
  • 229 posts
  • LocationPrescott, Arizona

Posted 27 May 2021 - 11:35 PM

I’m unaware of any plug-n-play upgrade for the windows. I upgraded the big window in the front above the table by paying a local glass shop an exorbitant amount to make a custom double pane replacement.  Noting that Airstream puts a shield over their front window, I then added a third layer by clamping a sheet of 1/4” Acrylic Safety Glazing, which made it triple glazed. 

On our 2016 8' NCO, we ordered double pane windows for the left and right side.  They don't really insulate that well since the frame connects the cold to the inside.  They do seem to work well for suppressing outside noise.  The double pane acrylic seem like the best for the cold, but the shade and bug screen won't work with raising and lowering.

#18 Denver Alaskan

Denver Alaskan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 83 posts

Posted 09 August 2021 - 02:43 AM

Hi Keith:

Apologies for not contacting you to make plans for meeting at La Casa Fiesta in Monument, CO. I will be attending the Overland Expo in Loveland August 27th to 29th this month and plan to arrive the afternoon of August 26th, as allowed per their web site. See you in Loveland!  Fred  

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users