18 replies to this topic

#1 Desert Tortoise

Desert Tortoise

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
  • LocationWatsonville, CA

Posted 31 March 2021 - 03:36 AM

I am  looking for a replacement furnace for my Atwood, something that will fit into the same space.

I love the Atwood but it is unreliable and repeated attempts to repair have me looking for a replacement.

I've researched several and am looking closely at Diesel Furnaces. A friend has a $150. Chinese one

that seems to work well.

Comments on these would be much appreciated.

thank you!

#2 PaulT

PaulT

Need gumbo

• Members
  • 2,601 posts
  • LocationHillsboro, Oregon

Posted 31 March 2021 - 04:43 AM

I have no personal experience with the Chinese diesel heaters but I have been reading about them. The only caveat I have read about for an interior installation is the ticking of the fuel pump. Outside, it may not be an issue but it is worth consideration if you are a light sleeper on a cold night.

Paul

I thought getting old would take longer.

#3 SkyP

SkyP

• Members
  • 112 posts
  • LocationSouth Carolina

Posted 31 March 2021 - 09:32 AM

I've used Webasto and Espar heaters in my Transit vans.   

The fuel pumps can be quite loud and are tough to silence- if that is even possible. 

The fuel pumps are typically mounted outside near the fuel source- still loud- can't imagine one inside.

Personally I am unwilling to trust a $150 heater with my life, hence the Webasto and Espars.

20 F150 4x4 18 ATC Panther

96 F350 4x4  99 FWC Grandby Shell (sold)

15 Aliner Scout

18 Camplite 16TBS

#4 Wandering Sagebrush

Wandering Sagebrush

Free Range Human

• Site Team
  • 10,528 posts
  • LocationNortheast Oregon

Posted 31 March 2021 - 02:17 PM

Wallas diesel heaters are very expensive, but reportedly a low current draw.  We used a Wallas cooktop/heater in our boat.

I am haunted by waters

#5 ski3pin

ski3pin

Belay On

• Site Team
  • 15,243 posts
  • LocationSierra Nevada Range

Posted 31 March 2021 - 02:23 PM

Previously on Wander the West -

Chinese Diesel Heaters

2003 Ford Ranger FX4 Level II 2013 ATC Bobcat SE "And in the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years."- Abraham Lincoln  http://ski3pin.blogspot.com/

#6 Hoopy

Hoopy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 84 posts
  • Locationsouthern Wa

Posted 31 March 2021 - 02:54 PM

I have installed a diesel heater in our flatbed hawk.  I have had both forced air propane and now a diesel heater.  We use the  FWC all winter skiing and traveling and am very satisfied.  I put a mid range priced heater in and carry a few  spare parts and  never have replaced parts yet.  The fuel pump is a noisy ticking sound,,,I  installed it outside under the flatbed itself and i can hear it if listen hard and its not a bother to me.  I like to hear it I use that as a assement tool while its operating.  The air intake and exaust is outside and  I clean it regularly and carry a spare air intake filter I built a metal shroud around the filter with plenty of space around it.  there is so much sloppy wet snow and sand and glop that undercoats the rig on winter trips.

One struggle we all have is space to put things in our campers and in a flatbed  felt like I had lots of room to install one (after four peeps and a dog in the winter in a fleet slide in....boys refused to sleep in a tent!!).  I caution you if you decide to  install one give yourself room to do maintanence and repair work.  The forced air propane you can pop the plate off outside to get at it( sailswitch and reset butten).  I think you would be hard pressed to pop the top off the case and to work on it in the space of the old furnace.  I thought hard about mounting it either inside or outside and opted for inside.  I think outside is a viable option as well .

I run the heater on low and like the constant heat and very minimal power use.   cheers hoopy

#7 Your Mileage May Vary

Your Mileage May Vary

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 59 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 31 March 2021 - 03:12 PM

A few thoughts »

I plan to install a Webasto heater in a ATC slide-in type camper later this year.

I'm not willing to trust the knockoff versions. The ones I have seen are cheaply made.

Webasto and Espar are spendy but have been used extensively in the trucking, farming, mining, and other industries for many years. That brings with it a level of reassurance and comfort. Life is too short to worry about the heater every time I turns on.

Webasto make a gasoline version of the same heater (I don't know if Espar do) that I plan to install. This will mean I won't need to find or carry propane as I travel long distances across borders. Gasoline is the most common fuel, and available everywhere in the world.

Robert VE9CDN » 2023 Ford Ranger FX4 with ATC Bobcat

Goal is to travel overland as slowly as possible, as far as possible, as long as possible.

AdventureTrend.com

#8 craig333

craig333

Riley's Human

• Members
  • 7,998 posts
  • LocationSacramento

Posted 31 March 2021 - 04:09 PM

I have installed a diesel heater in our flatbed hawk.  I have had both forced air propane and now a diesel heater.  We use the  FWC all winter skiing and traveling and am very satisfied.  I put a mid range priced heater in and carry a few  spare parts and  never have replaced parts yet.  The fuel pump is a noisy ticking sound,,,I  installed it outside under the flatbed itself and i can hear it if listen hard and its not a bother to me.  I like to hear it I use that as a assement tool while its operating.  The air intake and exaust is outside and  I clean it regularly and carry a spare air intake filter I built a metal shroud around the filter with plenty of space around it.  there is so much sloppy wet snow and sand and glop that undercoats the rig on winter trips.

One struggle we all have is space to put things in our campers and in a flatbed  felt like I had lots of room to install one (after four peeps and a dog in the winter in a fleet slide in....boys refused to sleep in a tent!!).  I caution you if you decide to  install one give yourself room to do maintanence and repair work.  The forced air propane you can pop the plate off outside to get at it( sailswitch and reset butten).  I think you would be hard pressed to pop the top off the case and to work on it in the space of the old furnace.  I thought hard about mounting it either inside or outside and opted for inside.  I think outside is a viable option as well .

I run the heater on low and like the constant heat and very minimal power use.   cheers hoopy

Kids didn't want to sleep in a tent? I never wanted to sleep inside with my parents unless the weather forced me to. 

Craig K6JGV_________________________ 2004 2500 CTD 4X4 FWC HAWK 1960 CJ5

#9 Desert Tortoise

Desert Tortoise

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
  • LocationWatsonville, CA

Posted 31 March 2021 - 06:34 PM

List,

Thank you for your responses, and future ones.

Space is a premium, hence my desire to find something to fit in the same space.

The new Atwood models will not fit my 20 year old Eagle.

I'm OK with price points up to about the $1000 range.

I would actually prefer propane since I already have that fuel on board, 

electrical draw is a concern, but even the 4.5 amp Atwood I'm usually able to handle

with my solar and Lithium set up.

Almost all my camping is winter, it's becoming increasingly difficult to find quiet solitude with

OHVs everywhere.

#10 Vic Harder

Vic Harder

Doctor Electric

• Site Team
  • 4,891 posts
  • LocationCalgary, Alberta

Posted 31 March 2021 - 07:57 PM

Considered getting a Propex?  I've installed two, and they are super reliable.  Not as quiet as a Wave or diesel heater though.  Can be made to fit into small spaces though!

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Furnace, Diesel

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users