3 replies to this topic

#1 hkellogg

hkellogg

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • LocationRocky Mountains

Posted 01 April 2021 - 04:03 PM

Hi all. I'm thrilled to find this forum. I'm getting a lot out of the various threads. My Alaskan is still a gleam in our eyes with delivery expected in July. An 8.5 CO.

I am planning to install an Air Head composting toilet which Bryan at Alaskan deems possible but doesn't do. I am preparing to order the toilet and have a decision about the fan shroud, a straight or right angle, and it is fair sized.  I'm wondering where I'm going to be venting through the side of the camper, the side or rear. I will have the heater behind the toilet closet. I will be talking Bryan when he is back in the shop but I was wondering if anyone is familiar with the structure of the camper and can give an idea of what I'm dealing with or has even installed a compost toilet.

Feel free to share your thoughts even on the Thetford set up. I read comments that people like that, too. 

#2 ski3pin

ski3pin

Belay On

• Site Team
  • 15,255 posts
  • LocationSierra Nevada Range

Posted 01 April 2021 - 04:34 PM

Welcome to Wander the West and congratulations on your new camper! :)

2003 Ford Ranger FX4 Level II 2013 ATC Bobcat SE "And in the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years."- Abraham Lincoln  http://ski3pin.blogspot.com/

#3 enelson

enelson

• Members
  • 229 posts
  • LocationPrescott, Arizona

Posted 23 May 2021 - 02:09 PM

The lower walls are 3/4" marine plywood.  It is very easy to drill a couple of holes with a hole saw.  I'd probably punch through the rear wall.  Put covers on the vents and insect screens.

#4 Vic Harder

Vic Harder

Doctor Electric

• Site Team
  • 4,898 posts
  • LocationCalgary, Alberta

Posted 23 May 2021 - 07:27 PM

Hi all. I'm thrilled to find this forum. I'm getting a lot out of the various threads. My Alaskan is still a gleam in our eyes with delivery expected in July. An 8.5 CO.

I am planning to install an Air Head composting toilet which Bryan at Alaskan deems possible but doesn't do. I am preparing to order the toilet and have a decision about the fan shroud, a straight or right angle, and it is fair sized.  I'm wondering where I'm going to be venting through the side of the camper, the side or rear. I will have the heater behind the toilet closet. I will be talking Bryan when he is back in the shop but I was wondering if anyone is familiar with the structure of the camper and can give an idea of what I'm dealing with or has even installed a compost toilet.

Feel free to share your thoughts even on the Thetford set up. I read comments that people like that, too. 

Have you used one before?  I really like the idea, and have made use of them (smell nice, low environmental footprint) when camping in the back country.  I have heard that they are great for weekend users, as the compost needs time to process.  Daily use for months on end won't work, as it fills faster than it can decompose.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: compost, composting, toilet, air head

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users