Photo
- - - - -

Propane tank valve leaking (replacements for horizontal OPD valve)?

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 kmcintyre

kmcintyre

• Members
  • 1,379 posts
  • LocationBoise, ID

Posted 04 April 2021 - 01:44 PM

We noticed some propane smell the other night and so I went to turn off the propane tank.  I couldn't turn the knob so I am trying to decide what to do as I had the tank recertified about 6 months ago.  

I can't find out (or haven't yet) if the horizontal OPD valves are the same as the vertical tank OPD valves?  I'd like to just replace the valve but....

Should I replace the valve or tank?

How do faulty regulators manifest themselves and should I replace them too?

Here's my setup.  Nothing special about it and I'm sure that everyone who has these horizontal tanks has the same setup?

Any info, suggestions, comments appreciated.

Attached Thumbnails

• 20210402_065455.jpg

Boise, ID

2022 Chevy 3500 HD

2023 FWC Flatbed Hawk

#2 fish more

fish more

• Members
  • 791 posts
  • LocationSierra Foothills

Posted 04 April 2021 - 02:21 PM

If the system is sealed properly you shouldn't smell any propane. Check the system with soapy water to detect leaks. If the tank was recently filled, run a burner on the stove to purge any air from system, turn off and then check with the soapy water, use a spray bottle to apply.

#3 kmcintyre

kmcintyre

• Members
  • 1,379 posts
  • LocationBoise, ID

Posted 05 April 2021 - 12:35 PM

If the system is sealed properly you shouldn't smell any propane. Check the system with soapy water to detect leaks. If the tank was recently filled, run a burner on the stove to purge any air from system, turn off and then check with the soapy water, use a spray bottle to apply.

Things get more and more strange.  We did what you said but we were camping so no soapy water so that's when I decided to close the valve and it was stuck.  Got home, took the tank out and after a while, the valve turned and it was in the off position.  I am going to call the place that certified it.  I'm not sure if they replace the OPD valve when the recertify it or if I can replace the valve.  The downside is the tank is still 3/4 full.  The other option is to get a new tank at about $100.

Boise, ID

2022 Chevy 3500 HD

2023 FWC Flatbed Hawk

#4 kmcintyre

kmcintyre

• Members
  • 1,379 posts
  • LocationBoise, ID

Posted 07 April 2021 - 12:54 PM

Update:

I couldn't find a valve that was reasonably priced (about $60 plus propane) and I had a pretty full tank so I'd have to purge that propane, install the valve, replace the propane.  Total price around $75.  There was a small leak around the valve and I took it back to the place that re-certified the tank.  They said they wouldn't have certified it with the leak had they seen it before.  The re-certification is good for 5 years, new tanks 12 years sooooo that made the decision easier....

I bought a new tank for $90 and will have it filled when it arrives.  I also replaced the regulator (the original one is  about 20 years old), fittings, etc.

I'm hopeful this will resolve my issue but will report back in a week or so after I get the new tank filled and installed.  I know about purging, etc. and this tank is supposed to be pre-purged and I called the propane RV place and they said they'd have no issues filling it, etc.  We'll see when I get there with my new tank :-).

Boise, ID

2022 Chevy 3500 HD

2023 FWC Flatbed Hawk

#5 Wildcat

Wildcat

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 96 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 07 April 2021 - 05:45 PM

Where did you end up getting the new horizontal tank? I've seen them on Amazon a couple of years ago but I think it was a higher price. I've got a similar situation as my tank was recertified 2 years ago but it seems to have developed a regular gas smell that's noticeable when I open the access door to the tank. I replaced hose and regulator but I'm still getting a sniff of propane once in a while so I'm thinking about a new valve or tank if I can't track down the source of the smell. The soapy water test hasn't turned up anything and my refilling station says the valve is not leaking when they test with their commercial version of soapy water.
2001 FWC Eagle on 1998 Taco 4x4

#6 kmcintyre

kmcintyre

• Members
  • 1,379 posts
  • LocationBoise, ID

Posted 08 April 2021 - 08:53 AM

Where did you end up getting the new horizontal tank? I've seen them on Amazon a couple of years ago but I think it was a higher price. I've got a similar situation as my tank was recertified 2 years ago but it seems to have developed a regular gas smell that's noticeable when I open the access door to the tank. I replaced hose and regulator but I'm still getting a sniff of propane once in a while so I'm thinking about a new valve or tank if I can't track down the source of the smell. The soapy water test hasn't turned up anything and my refilling station says the valve is not leaking when they test with their commercial version of soapy water.

That's what I was noticing too.  Ebay.  Seems like the  tanks are the Flame King horizontal tanks.  YSN Imports YSN201HZL Propane Tank LIQUID TRANSFER TANK  I just looked and they don't have anymore in stock but I'd contact them.  When I got mine, it seemed like they had 4 or 5 of them.  

$96 (includes Idaho Tax).  If you search that number, you'll see it's the Flame King tank (same as on Amazon).  

Edited by kmcintyre, 08 April 2021 - 08:58 AM.

Boise, ID

2022 Chevy 3500 HD

2023 FWC Flatbed Hawk

#7 RHarries

RHarries

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 31 posts
  • LocationDurango, CO

Posted 06 October 2021 - 12:34 AM

My tank and valve work OK, but at certain valve locations I can hear an audible leak.  fortunately, there are no leaks in the fully open or closed positions, and the propane detector does not alarm.  It seems that horizontal tanks are no longer made, or very difficult to find (~350 bucks) on line.  i have been searching for replacement valves to fix this problem myself, but I don't know if the valves are specific to the tank orientation.  It also sounds like valve replacement is not a simple DIY task and may require special tools (?).  My valve is a Sherwood 4439. 

i looked at the Flame King tanks, but the 3:00 orientation of the connection will require some plumbing which is tight at 9:00 (and they are not available currently)

I found this thread while researching availability of 20 pound horizontal tanks, identical to Kmcintyre's.

any assistance will be greatly appreciated.

'15 Tundra Double cab with '09 Hawk side couch

#8 goinoregon

goinoregon

• Members
  • 506 posts
  • LocationPDX

Posted 06 October 2021 - 01:50 AM

in march, i picked up my atc, and also bought a horizontal tank from them.  dont know what they charged. 

Oregon

#9 craig333

craig333

Riley's Human

• Members
  • 8,000 posts
  • LocationSacramento

Posted 06 October 2021 - 02:47 AM

I purchased a spare from Amazon but I just checked and now they are unavailable. Maybe they're on one of those containers ships that haven't been unloaded yet?

Craig K6JGV_________________________ 2004 2500 CTD 4X4 FWC HAWK 1960 CJ5

#10 achiral

achiral

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts

Posted 06 October 2021 - 09:49 PM

We have a 2006 model year (regulator location looks different than the picture in the original post), and at that time 4WC used a Manchester branded 20lb horizontal tank.

The OPD valve on our original tank started to leak; the replacement was to use a vertical, 30lb OPD valve (confirmed with Manchester, and the replacement works with no issues). It was nearly impossible to find someone to replace the valve, so we also purchased a new 20lb Manchester tank. Note that this style of tank must be filled vertically, then used horizontally to ensure no liquid draw.

Interestingly, the only place we could find the tank (model 10487TC) was on Amazon (no-one local carries horizontal tanks), and they no longer seem to carry them.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users