7 replies to this topic

#1 TeeKay805

TeeKay805

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts

Posted 05 April 2021 - 04:19 AM

What’s up wanderers,
My hunt for a used pop has seemed to dry as I missed a couple opportunities while over seas at work. Turning to plan b, ordering new from ATC this week.
So it’s going to be a panther shell on a 2016 Sierra 2500HD duramax. Pretty bare bones but for sure with the propane and furnace but am tossing around the idea of the stove top too. My only question in regards to the stove is whether it is flush with the countertop or if it extends above the counter top. Thanks for reading and any input.

#2 jimjxsn

jimjxsn

• Members
  • 598 posts
  • LocationRoxborough Park or Buena Vista CO

Posted 05 April 2021 - 01:11 PM

Hi TK,

Congratulations on the order, you won't be sorry going with an ATC.  I believe the stock stove top is top mounted to the counter top and does stick up about an inch or so. I ordered my Panther with a Dometic SMEV sink stove combo which is more of a flush mount with a glass lid.  It is available in several configurations including a 2 burner stove. https://pantherrvpro...op-w-glass-lid/

I don't think ATC stocks them but I ordered the sink/stove from Panther RV and had it shipped to ATC.  They had no problem installing it.  Customization is one of the bonuses when working with ATC.

20170612_111203-L.jpg

20170612_111219_001-L.jpg

Get that order in ASAP and enjoy that new camper.

Jim

~Jim
2000 Tundra AC- 2000 FWC Ranger

2017 Tundra DC - 2017 ATC Panther

#3 TeeKay805

TeeKay805

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts

Posted 05 April 2021 - 03:20 PM

Thank you Jim. I came across your thread a few times of your build and really like that top!

One other question myself and the better half have is the option for a large window on the driver side but anticipate possibly building a platform for a fridge there so feel it will be a waste. ATC offers a small driver’s side window according to their options list, does anyone know how “small” this window will be?

#4 Mykiss

Mykiss

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 38 posts
  • LocationTerrace British Columbia

Posted 05 April 2021 - 03:32 PM

As Jim said, place the order first, if you are lucky you might enjoy your camper in the Summer of 2022(I put a down payment in Dec2020 and was told to aim for Jan2022). You don't have to make those decisions now, order a shell then you have lots of time to make informed decisions based on your needs and budget and add the options during the building process or later you could do them on your own. I,for example, find the cabinetry work not very appealing, so am planning to ask someone else, like Vick for example.🤣😈
I wouldn't consider anything else other than flush with the countertop, aesthetically pleasing,more countertop space , and very seldom used in the Summer anyways. Shop around(if money means something)I got mine from England for much less.
You have so much time to plan the electrical system and familiarize yourself with the components.
Read about the diesel heaters, pros and cons, but if you traveled in remote areas it would be so nice not to depend on propane which takes so much precious space and sometimes hard to find.
There is so much info on this forum and these guys are so helpful, thank you so much for all the replies to my PMs!!!

Edited by Mykiss, 05 April 2021 - 03:39 PM.

#5 TeeKay805

TeeKay805

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts

Posted 05 April 2021 - 03:56 PM

Those were our exact thoughts on the stove top.
Also, I emailed the shop in February and at that time it was a 14 month wait so we are hoping to start the journey summer 2022 like you said 👍. Thanks for the replies. Definitely have the wheels turning as there are so many different directions to go. Glad to know I can fine tune the order along the way.

#6 Mykiss

Mykiss

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 38 posts
  • LocationTerrace British Columbia

Posted 05 April 2021 - 04:22 PM

Thank you Jim. I came across your thread a few times of your build and really like that top!
One other question myself and the better half have is the option for a large window on the driver side but anticipate possibly building a platform for a fridge there so feel it will be a waste. ATC offers a small driver’s side window according to their options list, does anyone know how “small” this window will be?

Look at Ronin's posts and you'll see what the window looks like on the driver's side, it works for him but not for you, if planing to build a cabinet/sink and have a portable fridge on that side.

#7 Ronin

Ronin

• Members
  • 925 posts
  • LocationPNW

Posted 05 April 2021 - 04:30 PM

The stove top ATC uses is flush to the counter top. I'm 5'9" and find the stove to be a bit too high mounted on the corner cabinet. Maybe not an issue for you but I would ask Marty if there's a way to build the cabinet a little lower. As for the furnace I'd recommend going with a Propex. It has a small footprint, draws little power, and is very quiet. 

My Panther has the large drivers side window. My Truckfridge does partially block the view but I enjoy the extra light and the great cross-breeze I get when I open both windows, plus being able to take a look outside if I hear anything.

Like other posters said, just get your order in and you can figure out the details later.

2019 Tundra 2019 Panther Shell

#8 TeeKay805

TeeKay805

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts

Posted 06 April 2021 - 04:34 AM

Thanks guys. Called up and spoke with Jeff today and put a deposit down. Definitely looking forward to it but lead time is up to 16 months now. I’ll definitely be doing some homework on here and marking my calendar

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users