Bobcat with Dinette

• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#1 Argonaut20

Argonaut20

• Members
  • 432 posts

Posted 25 June 2009 - 04:03 PM

Marty, Jeff, and I are discussing putting a dinette in the Bobcat I have ordered. We are drawing on DLN's work for inspiration, but using a simpler idea to form the 'bed' by using the table as part of the base for the bed. It is an old idea but it works well in the vintage trailers and is simple. Also less weight. Thus far, the 'bed' looks to be about 65 inches long by 19 inches wide with a storage area behind the dinette in front of the door. No back for the rear seat but I think something can be mounted as a back should one be needed. It would need to be removed so the camper could be entered and I am not convinced that a back is really necessary. The motivation here is to be able to sit and look out the window if you have to be in the camper rather than outside. May not be much to see, but it beats staring at the sink...

#2 brett13

brett13

Lovecock

• Members
  • 1,026 posts

Posted 25 June 2009 - 04:25 PM

Since I have a Bobcat and find the current setup a little less optimal, I'm very interested. Please keep us posted- and pics of course!

Does this plan open the door clearing wider? My couch extends beyond the door frame a few inches, which means I have to lift the seat cushion to get the cooler through the opening.
Once had 2007 Tundra TRD 4x4 5.7 SR5 w/ Firestone bags, Bilstein 5100s in front, Total Chaos shackles rear, 275/70/18 E rated Michelin LTX AT2
2007 ATC Bobcat for sale

Now, just roaming around in a stock Land Cruiser (not stock for long though... bawahahha [evil laugh])

#3 Alex

Alex

• Members
  • 241 posts
  • LocationSF Bay Area

Posted 25 June 2009 - 05:34 PM

Thanks for sharing, please keep us update on the progress.

#4 Argonaut20

Argonaut20

• Members
  • 432 posts

Posted 25 June 2009 - 05:47 PM

At present I am thinking an angle cut on the rear storage to open the area around the door a bit. We haven't finalized everything, but there would be no cushion on the rear storage. I plan to use velcro to secure the seat cushions. The wide industrial velcro is pretty heavy duty stuff. Sew one part to the cushion and glue/screw the other part to the seat base and the cushions should stay put.

#5 Argonaut20

Argonaut20

• Members
  • 432 posts

Posted 25 June 2009 - 06:04 PM

Here's what I am thinking - sorta.
DinettePlans1A.jpg

#6 brett13

brett13

Lovecock

• Members
  • 1,026 posts

Posted 25 June 2009 - 07:59 PM

That ^ looks good. With no seat back, would there be any cushion on the storage area? It looks like the bed cushions would be about 5' 3", so some sort of foot support might be nice.

Do the seats lift up the same way to get to the storage under?
Once had 2007 Tundra TRD 4x4 5.7 SR5 w/ Firestone bags, Bilstein 5100s in front, Total Chaos shackles rear, 275/70/18 E rated Michelin LTX AT2
2007 ATC Bobcat for sale

Now, just roaming around in a stock Land Cruiser (not stock for long though... bawahahha [evil laugh])

#7 Alex

Alex

• Members
  • 241 posts
  • LocationSF Bay Area

Posted 25 June 2009 - 08:57 PM

The plan looks really nice!
If possible it might be nice to have a seat back for the rear seat. It'll make enjoying the view through the window more comfortable. ;)

#8 DLN

DLN

• Members
  • 1,111 posts
  • LocationGrass Valley Area, CA

Posted 25 June 2009 - 10:47 PM

Looks like a good layout, will look forward to the results.
DLN Ex- 2006 Eagle - 2002 Tacoma TRD - Ride Rite Air Bags Current - 2004 17' Casita SD

#9 Rob in MT

Rob in MT

• Members
  • 110 posts

Posted 26 June 2009 - 12:52 PM

How about making the boxes the same height as the window sill, then making a cushion that would fit on the sill lengthwise. That way when made into a bed the width would be an additional six inches or so.

#10 Argonaut20

Argonaut20

• Members
  • 432 posts

Posted 26 June 2009 - 02:15 PM

Most chair heights are about 17". Much more leaves feet in the air for all that are not very tall. I am using measurements from our Argosy trailer dinette for heights and what works for my wife and me. I am not planning to have more than my wife and myself as campers (sorry grandchildren) so making it into a resting pad is secondary. I do think a back is possible using a simple frame that bolts to the top of the storage and to the back of the seat back with thumbscrews so it could be easily removed/set up and the seat back could be used as a pad. I know this is going to evolve as we move closer to fabrication date and Marty and Jeff find what works and what doesn't. I will likely work on the rear seat back frame idea after the camper gets home in August.

My thanks to DLN for the idea and a lot of the problem solving.

Edited by Argonaut20, 26 June 2009 - 02:16 PM.
misspelling

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users