• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#11 marty

marty

• Members
  • 338 posts
  • LocationSacramento, California

Posted 14 August 2009 - 01:12 AM

I think this turned out very good. If there is a second dinette made I think we will make it a couple of inches narrower and we would like to find another way for the backs. Although we are very happy with this one.
Marty

#12 GoodGosh

GoodGosh

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 14 August 2009 - 03:01 AM

Hi all. I have been lurking on this site for some time. My oldest son is in line for my VW Westfalia when he graduates from high school. And an ATC or FWC may be in my future if I can kick the Westy bug. I am interjecting myself into this topic because I have not noticed anyone suggest my potential solution for the dinette's backless seat (the one nearest the door). Now I have no experience with one of your campers and have never owned one of the things that I am about to propose - so feel free to laugh me out of town. The really lightweight campers (hikers) and stadium goers use a fabric seat with a strap. You can lean back but the strap is connected to the piece you are sitting on so you don't fall over backwards. This is a link to one on MEC's site, up here in Canada:

http://www.mec.ca/Products/product_detail.jsp?PRODUCT%3C%3Eprd_id=845524442622546&FOLDER%3C%3Efolder_id=2534374302701547

Not sure if that will come through. If not, go to www.mec.ca and search for a senate seat (yes, it is a tongue-in-cheek name). Many companies make similar products and you will have a choice of style and colours at your local outdoor stores. Many styles support the use of a thermarest (or such) but they are more expensive and you don't need that functionality for the idea to work.

Love the site.

Cheers

#13 Argonaut20

Argonaut20

• Members
  • 432 posts

Posted 14 August 2009 - 04:12 AM

I agree with Marty in that this dinette turned out well. I will post some photos when I get back to my main computer. Marty and Jeff managed to make a small (60+ inch bed) possible from the dinette. They made the seats comfortable, better than my original idea by far.

So, now we have usable dinette in a Bobcat that does not add weight to the unit above that the normal couch arrangement weighs. Marty and Don had the Bobcat mounted and ready to go in very little time even though I was hanging around being a nuisance. Thanks guys and pics will follow. I think people are going to want to see how well this worked.

2006 Tacoma, '66 AS Caravel,  2002 Eagle

#14 DLN

DLN

• Members
  • 1,111 posts
  • LocationGrass Valley Area, CA

Posted 14 August 2009 - 01:35 PM

GG,

Welcome aboard. I did consider a folding seat back like a stadium seat as one solution for the additional back, just never got around to doing anything with it. Now the camper's gone and the ideal dinette has to be build by others. I'm always looking forward to seeing what people come up with.
DLN Ex- 2006 Eagle - 2002 Tacoma TRD - Ride Rite Air Bags Current - 2004 17' Casita SD

#15 Argonaut20

Argonaut20

• Members
  • 432 posts

Posted 17 August 2009 - 03:48 PM

CushionSm.jpg
This is a view of the cushions down on the table when it is resting between the storage compartments.

TableDown2.jpg The table in down position.

TableMount.jpg How the table is mounted.

TableUp.jpg The table mounted for use. You can see the rails the table rests on when down.

CushionHold.jpg Jeff's solution to keeping the cushions in place.

Storage.jpg Storage under the cushion.

The dinette makes into a bed that is 68 inches long, sufficient for naps for an adult. The table is sufficiently large for meals for two, card games, laptops, etc. The aisle between the cushions and the counter is about 15 inches wide and it is wide enough for the normal camp cooking, water glass filling, etc. There is a storage area behind the dinette (back of the camper) that is about 10" deep X 9" wide X 19" high. Marty found a table leg 17" long that is ideal for height.

A plug for the Marty, Jeff, and Don: These folks came up with a dinette superior to my original plan. It is comfortable, well made, and doesn't add weight to the total package. We gained a usable table that is not in the way when you don't need it. There is still a couch, albeit backless, if that is what you want to use.

What we haven't solved yet: a support for the back cushion back. An ice chest against the back wall may have to do for now, but I have some ideas that I need to build so I can try them out.

Thanks for a great job on the camper to Marty, Jeff, and Don.

#16 billharr

billharr

• Members
  • 2,824 posts
  • LocationStockton CA

Posted 18 August 2009 - 04:23 AM

CushionSm.jpg

What we haven't solved yet: a support for the back cushion back. An ice chest against the back wall may have to do for now, but I have some ideas that I need to build so I can try them out.

Thanks for a great job on the camper to Marty, Jeff, and Don.

I was looking at an Ocelot and wanted a dinette. Ditto what you said about Marty and crew. I found a used Hawk so cheap I had to buy it. Just finish my dinette. I used Ski Poles to hold the seat back. Check out pictures on the FWC Site.

Link:
http://www.wanderthe...12/page__st__20

#17 Argonaut20

Argonaut20

• Members
  • 432 posts

Posted 18 August 2009 - 03:28 PM

I was looking at an Ocelot and wanted a dinette. Ditto what you said about Marty and crew. I found a used Hawk so cheap I had to buy it. Just finish my dinette. I used Ski Poles to hold the seat back. Check out pictures on the FWC Site.

Link:
http://www.wanderthe...12/page__st__20

Clever idea. I may try that. You did a nice build job on the dinette there. Your seat back cushions are a bit larger than mine, but I see we are going in the same direction with the basic plan and implementation. Now we don't have to stare at the counter top but can look out the window instead.

#18 bobg333

bobg333

• Members
  • 123 posts

Posted 09 September 2009 - 02:24 AM

I don't know if you have started this project, but I just ran across it and thought I'd give you my input. As described last year on the 4WC Forum (http://www.wanderthe...__fromsearch__1), I modified my Grandby with a dinette. Having lived with it for a while including two month-long trips, the main thing I would change is the seat height. This would, in turn, allow the seats to be effectively wider and allow more "leaning room" when sitting sideways which is what I mostly do when not eating at the table.

Without thinking much about it, I built up my dinette on the base of the old couch. That puts the cushion height at 16" which is acceptable but not ideal for a 6'3" person. This height allows one to sit at the dinette when "stealth camping" (roof not popped). But we never stealth camp. And if I had made the cushion height at 19.5", it would put the seat cushion at the same height as the upper ledge which effectively adds about 8" to the effective width of the seat. In this configuration, I would make the seat backs in an el-shape so that one would have back support in the sideways position. Live and learn. Hope someone else can use this info.

Happy Trails, Bob

Former Grandby owner

#19 Casa Escarlata Robles Too

Casa Escarlata Robles Too

C'est la vie

• Site Team
  • 9,286 posts
  • Locationmonterey bay area

Posted 05 December 2009 - 01:46 AM

I agree with Marty in that this dinette turned out well. I will post some photos when I get back to my main computer. Marty and Jeff managed to make a small (60+ inch bed) possible from the dinette. They made the seats comfortable, better than my original idea by far.

So, now we have usable dinette in a Bobcat that does not add weight to the unit above that the normal couch arrangement weighs. Marty and Don had the Bobcat mounted and ready to go in very little time even though I was hanging around being a nuisance. Thanks guys and pics will follow. I think people are going to want to see how well this worked.

2002 Tundra AC TRD 4WD Limited 2009 ATC Bobcat loaded http://sharychic.blogspot.com/

#20 Casa Escarlata Robles Too

Casa Escarlata Robles Too

C'est la vie

• Site Team
  • 9,286 posts
  • Locationmonterey bay area

Posted 07 December 2009 - 03:05 AM

we picked our bobcat up on thursday.hats off to marty and crew.they did a great job installing.the camper . the workmanship is superb.i'll send pictures as soon as i figure out how to on this site.how do you all attach pictures?all i get is that the file is to big,even one picture doesn't go through.thanks frank

2002 Tundra AC TRD 4WD Limited 2009 ATC Bobcat loaded http://sharychic.blogspot.com/

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users