32 replies to this topic

#11 Foy

Foy

Resident Geologist

• Members
  • 1,295 posts
  • LocationRaleigh, NC

Posted 09 April 2021 - 08:35 AM

Another question:  I have a Puma/Grandby in an 8' bed.  Access cab trucks are very hard to find.  Will the extra foot of wheelbase in a full crew cab make the truck that much less trailworthy that I really should not consider them?

I never considered my big 'un to be much of a trail rig to begin with and don't generally take it into many tight spots (he said as he hears his wife cackling "what about  when you drove us there, and there, and there.........").   It's 20' nose to tail and weighs 10,000 lbs with gear, people, and 38 gallons of fuel.  Here in the East, trails tend to be narrow and low spots (generally creek crossings) are very common, so turning around and keeping the transfer case above water can be a challenge, hence not much trail work for mine. You already recognize the turning radius situation--awful.    

#12 Vic Harder

Vic Harder

Doctor Electric

• Site Team
  • 4,947 posts
  • LocationCalgary, Alberta

Posted 10 April 2021 - 04:41 AM

Hmm, so, no go in a 24' long rig.  Makes sense.

#13 DavidGraves

DavidGraves

• Members
  • 1,267 posts

Posted 10 April 2021 - 02:46 PM

Vic

Choosing a truck/camper combo is a soul searching process.

I was finally honest with myself and realized we need a reasonably comfortable camper on a reasonably capable 4 WD truck that can gobble up freeway miles easily and still get off the asphalt and away from the crowds.

Anything more than that is just hobby consumption....I already got more hobbies than I have time for.

No adventure hats here.

Good luck.

David Graves

#14 Vic Harder

Vic Harder

Doctor Electric

• Site Team
  • 4,947 posts

Posted 11 April 2021 - 05:07 AM

Thanks.  Another question: If I plan on taking the bed off and installing an 8' long flatbed for my Puma/Grandby, how will the weight be ... front/back if I put this onto an extended cab truck that had a 6.5' bed to begin with?  What about rear departure angles?

Edited by Vic Harder, 11 April 2021 - 05:08 AM.

#15 Mighty Dodge Ram

Mighty Dodge Ram

• Members
  • 1,003 posts
  • LocationClose to the edge...

Posted 11 April 2021 - 03:03 PM

Vic: I would think you’d need to extend the frame if lengthening the platform...no?

Richard
1996 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4, lightly lifted, ARB bumper/Warn winch, BFG AT/KO2, Snugtop shell. SOLD! But not forgotten!
2002 Chevy 2500HD XC LB 6.0L 4X4, Leer Hi-Rise shell, completely stock...for now!

#16 Vic Harder

Vic Harder

Doctor Electric

• Site Team
  • 4,947 posts

Posted 11 April 2021 - 11:25 PM

Vic: I would think you’d need to extend the frame if lengthening the platform...no?

I dunno.  I see people putting Hawk's on trucks that started with 6.5' beds, with big storage boxes between cab and Hawk. So the flatbed must be at least 8' long then.

#17 buckland

buckland

• Members
  • 3,077 posts
  • LocationNew England

Posted 11 April 2021 - 11:30 PM

Full sized Chevy Silverado with a 3 liter turbo diesel. Pulls 10,000 lb trailer. 34 MPG highway (really)... If I buy again that's what I'd love.

2016 Duramax 2.8 Diesel long bed Colorado 4WD with 2011 Eagle

Lordwoodcraft  instagram        Rob
The only people who ever get anyplace interesting are the people who get lost.
Henry David Thoreau
"Work to achieve not to acquire"

#18 Vic Harder

Vic Harder

Doctor Electric

• Site Team
  • 4,947 posts

Posted 12 April 2021 - 02:08 AM

Full sized Chevy Silverado with a 3 liter turbo diesel. Pulls 10,000 lb trailer. 34 MPG highway (really)... If I buy again that's what I'd love.

Not looking at new Rob.  Pre DEF and simple is best for me.  And that said, full size in what config?  8' bed and crew cab? Reg cab to keep the wheelbase short?

#19 buckland

buckland

• Members
  • 3,077 posts
  • LocationNew England

Posted 12 April 2021 - 12:54 PM

Got it. That said... yes it comes in all iterations. If I have one more truck ...it looks good to me. DEF isn't a big deal in my diesel Colorado Just 5 Gal. every 7000 miles. cost less than $10us 

2016 Duramax 2.8 Diesel long bed Colorado 4WD with 2011 Eagle

Lordwoodcraft  instagram        Rob
The only people who ever get anyplace interesting are the people who get lost.
Henry David Thoreau
"Work to achieve not to acquire"

#20 ntsqd

ntsqd

Custom User Title

• Members
  • 2,881 posts
  • LocationNorth So.CA

Posted 12 April 2021 - 01:42 PM

Stock turning radius on our ClubCab - LB CTD was impressive. Easily turned inside what my '84 Xcab Toyota 4wd truck could do. The OEM steering box was marginally too small and after wearing out the second one it got replaced with the bigger Borgeson unit. Turning radius suffered significantly. Been meaning to look into the steering stops, see if the shop that did the work adjusted them over-zealously.

A friend has been looking at utility beds with low sides (i.e. what you'd want for a camper though that isn't his use) and has been told those range around 900 lbs. empty.

I learned that trick with the OD button a while back. Our CTD doesn't lock the converter until direct with the OD turned on, but locks in second and direct with the OD turned off. Translation: turning off the OD on a steep hill keeps the converter locked and the trans temp under control. Running unlocked it would run the trans temp into the scary zone, and then run the engine temp up too.

Thom

Where does that road go?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users