61 replies to this topic

#41 joez3

joez3

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 54 posts

Posted 20 May 2021 - 02:55 PM

Who is the lighting pick up or the hybrid f150 for? The only configuration they come in is super cab with 5.5ft bed. Why don't they come with a bigger bed? I guess they are selling these to people that want a big car with out buying a big car.

#42 rubberlegs

rubberlegs

curmudgeon

• Members
  • 564 posts
  • LocationEverett, WA

Posted 20 May 2021 - 05:28 PM

Electric trucks are interesting to think about. With a, say, 300 mile range (empty), what is the range loaded and a non-aero "billboard" camper?

And how long does it take to charge? Surely the charge time is much higher than a Tesla model 3, since a truck isn't nearly as efficient. So the battery pack must be considerably larger, say twice as much kWh. Then it would take twice as long to charge. On a long trip, it would be a 45 minute stop to get something like 80% charge. 

Charging at home with 110V might be something like 2 miles per hour, while a more reasonable 40A/220V might take more than overnight.

Charging while out camping with, say, 500W solar panels would be less than 1 mile range per hour of sunshine, thus not practical.

Still, it's intriguing for many users. Maybe not for camping unless close to home.

Or maybe there's something I don't know yet. I've not read about E-trucks but have kept up with E-cars. Several family members have them and just love 'em.

Edited by rubberlegs, 20 May 2021 - 05:28 PM.

Tacoma/Fleet 2018.

#43 buckland

buckland

• Members
  • 3,078 posts
  • LocationNew England

Posted 20 May 2021 - 06:34 PM

Like anything new... it is a start... the first couple years will be R&D by customer. I'd say in 5 years time a number of improvements will make it a worthy truck. Also the first year out they are smart to only have one model ... see if the platform does well. Think of all those exploding SpaceX ships... gotta make mistakes to learn. I would think the torque with four independent motors, low center of gravity, quiet would be a great camping vehicle........ and chargeable is not linear... doubling the time. Most all folks with EV  use 240 V like a dryer at home. Low maintenance... no oils nor smelly exhaust, DEF, coolant.... it is a better machine.  I'll be all in if I live that long!

2016 Duramax 2.8 Diesel long bed Colorado 4WD with 2011 Eagle

Lordwoodcraft  instagram        Rob
The only people who ever get anyplace interesting are the people who get lost.
Henry David Thoreau
"Work to achieve not to acquire"

#44 Casa Escarlata Robles Too

Casa Escarlata Robles Too

C'est la vie

• Site Team
  • 9,291 posts
  • Locationmonterey bay area

Posted 20 May 2021 - 07:41 PM

Yes Rob it's a start.After all we were walking before the wheel.

And look where that has gotten us.

I watched the per intro Tuesday had some questions about the

hype of the "on board generator". It's not new to Ford trucks.

But they were talking about powering your home in a blackout with it.

I don't think it works out that way.

I think it's a great step forward.

Not sure some of us will be around to enjoy it though,but you never know.

Frank

2002 Tundra AC TRD 4WD Limited 2009 ATC Bobcat loaded http://sharychic.blogspot.com/

#45 kmacafee

kmacafee

• Members
  • 296 posts
  • LocationSt. Paul, MN

Posted 21 May 2021 - 02:12 PM

Sure, normal expenses are deductible.  But the oil and gas industry is heavily subsidized by being allowed to explore and drill on public lands at ridiculously low rates.  No other industry has that distinct advantage.

As a practicing CPA and a one time mineral exploration geologist, I see lots of debates concerning Federal subsidies, particularly concerning the oil and gas business. What I see most often is a misuse of the term "subsidy".  Most debaters refer to the O&G business as recipients of "billions of dollars of subsidies" when in fact they are referring to the fact that O&G businesses claim billions of dollars in deductions for the expenses incurred in the exploration for, production of, and refining of their products.  To the greatest extent, these deductions are ordinary in every sense--just like my little CPA firm deducts office rent, payroll, payroll taxes, housekeeping services for cleaning the office, and the costs of our computers and software, and just like my plumbing contractor client deducts his payroll, tools, vehicles, and office rent on his sole proprietorship Schedule C. Our deductions are not subsidies in any sense, and I would argue that O&G companies also benefit primarily from simple deductions rather than subsidies.

By contrast, the $7,500 tax credit for purchasing hybrid automobiles, the 30% of cost tax credit for purchasing home solar equipment, and the loan guarantees obtained by companies like Solyndra are actually subsidies--they are direct payments by the government to purchasers of certain favored products which is a clear inducement for consumers to purchase the products, and the loan guarantees are the principal manners by which otherwise shaky industries which are poor credit risks can obtain credit in the regular capital markets, so when the guarantees are paid, they're subsidies, too. 

I've opined for much of my 36 years in practice that large scale tax code simplification will never happen for one principal reason: As important as the Code is in terms of collecting revenue, it provides an equally important power for the government to exercise economic and social engineering.  I can't envision either the Federal or state government giving up that power.

So, in discussions about the various merits and demerits of developing technologies, it's helpful to properly distinguish between real subsidies and simple tax deductions for ordinary and necessary business expenses.  All businesses get the latter, and the chosen few get the former.

Foy

#46 Mighty Dodge Ram

Mighty Dodge Ram

• Members
  • 1,003 posts
  • LocationClose to the edge...

Posted 21 May 2021 - 05:10 PM

I’m all in as soon as they solve the range and recharge times while on the road. Several mfgrs offered hybrid models almost a decade ago. Could updated hybrid models be a bridge to the all electric technology?

Richard
1996 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4, lightly lifted, ARB bumper/Warn winch, BFG AT/KO2, Snugtop shell. SOLD! But not forgotten!
2002 Chevy 2500HD XC LB 6.0L 4X4, Leer Hi-Rise shell, completely stock...for now!

#47 buckland

buckland

• Members
  • 3,078 posts
  • LocationNew England

Posted 24 May 2021 - 10:47 AM

Here's a notable jump in.... If they say go they got the market .... 

2016 Duramax 2.8 Diesel long bed Colorado 4WD with 2011 Eagle

Lordwoodcraft  instagram        Rob
The only people who ever get anyplace interesting are the people who get lost.
Henry David Thoreau
"Work to achieve not to acquire"

#48 ckent323

ckent323

• Members
  • 1,227 posts
  • LocationSolvang, CA

Posted 24 May 2021 - 06:20 PM

Fuel cells promise to be the ultimate non-nuclear power source.  That promise has been in place since they were first invented in 1839 and the first commercial fuel cells built in 1932.   I first heard of them in the 1970's (aerospace business) and from the 1970s to the present I have listened to and read discussions about someday using them instead of gasoline in commercially produced cars.  They remain a promise.   I hope they get to the point that they can become widely and economically produced and adopted commercially for personal vehicles.  I don't think they are there yet.

https://fuelcellswor...wledge/history/

Edited by ckent323, 24 May 2021 - 06:26 PM.

1993 Dodge Cummins W-250 Club Cab long bed, 2007 FWC Keystone

#49 rubberlegs

rubberlegs

curmudgeon

• Members
  • 564 posts
  • LocationEverett, WA

Posted 24 May 2021 - 07:24 PM

All of this is sure an interesting topic. On fuel cells, isn't the challenge obtaining the hydrogen? It takes a lot of energy to break water into its components. Not sure what the best sources are.

I've wondered what might happen if the entire world went to solar, for example. The CO2 greenhouse effect would be reduced, but we'd still be capturing a lot of solar energy instead of bouncing it back to space. It may be a fraction, but it's still capturing more energy than in past history. The only sustainable option is to use less energy. In our case, it's driving to a spot, but sitting there for many days, enjoying it, absorbing the sunshine and gaining vitamin D  B).

Anyway, the same argument could be made for wind (taking energy out of the atmosphere on a huge scale has to have impact), waves (same thing), nuclear (storing the waste, running out of fuel at some point). All seem to be a lot less impact than the greenhouse effect, but there's still impact. I hear most countries are having fewer babies, so maybe there's hope.

Tacoma/Fleet 2018.

#50 Casa Escarlata Robles Too

Casa Escarlata Robles Too

C'est la vie

• Site Team
  • 9,291 posts
  • Locationmonterey bay area

Posted 24 May 2021 - 07:29 PM

rubberlegs you hit on a lot of great points.

I think everything has an up/down side we

just need to find the right one.

They're working on it I am sure.

Frank

2002 Tundra AC TRD 4WD Limited 2009 ATC Bobcat loaded http://sharychic.blogspot.com/

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users