• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#11 corybrown50

corybrown50

• Registered (Tapatalk)
  • 182 posts
  • LocationCincinnati, OH

Posted 22 April 2021 - 07:09 PM

Is it locked up at the winch or can you reverse the lift but the roof stays up? Mine sticks a smidge then goes down. I think that is the braking mechanism, but I haven't dived in deep enough leaving well enough alone since it works.

If at the winch, penetrating fluid will be the best bet. Manfred replaced his winch with a 12v one. If you're in that deep I'd probably do the same.

If at the lifts, you need to lubricate the square shafts as well as the "spring" lifters.

#12 HoppyToGoWandering

HoppyToGoWandering

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts

Posted 25 April 2021 - 05:16 PM

Cory, 

I'm not sure where it is. The guy I bought it from said, of course, that 3 of the lift posts were retracting before I got it.... of course. Then it locked up on him. That's why I got it so cheaply was he felt bad about it. Great man, super nice. We are now friends.  I need to take the cook stove off to get to it. Not sure if there is a nut that goes over that rod that the square tubing threads onto to hold it on or what. 

I like the thought of electrifying it but I also don't. Just makes another electrical thing to break down when out in the bush. Trying to minimize the amount of reliance on electricity. I'd rather crank it up and down. Personal choice. 

GH

Is it locked up at the winch or can you reverse the lift but the roof stays up? Mine sticks a smidge then goes down. I think that is the braking mechanism, but I haven't dived in deep enough leaving well enough alone since it works.

If at the winch, penetrating fluid will be the best bet. Manfred replaced his winch with a 12v one. If you're in that deep I'd probably do the same.

If at the lifts, you need to lubricate the square shafts as well as the "spring" lifters.

#13 corybrown50

corybrown50

• Registered (Tapatalk)
  • 182 posts
  • LocationCincinnati, OH

Posted 27 April 2021 - 01:36 AM

I get it. I didn't even take my drill this weekend that I use to make things quicker.

#14 HoppyToGoWandering

HoppyToGoWandering

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts

Posted 26 October 2022 - 06:22 PM

Hi Cory, I haven't been on here for quite a while. I've been not feeling the best and beat up a tad. I haven't been able to work on my Sportster at all for 1½ years. But I did find out what the problem was with it. Definitely the lifts. Not sure if the winch is messed up ar not but definitely the lifts. So, that's what I'm trying to figure out. Probably will have to go to an RV Repair service shop to be fixed. Have a lot other work to work to do but I will be able to do that myself. Oh, any good lines on replacement canvas?

#15 corybrown50

corybrown50

• Registered (Tapatalk)
  • 182 posts
  • LocationCincinnati, OH

Posted 26 October 2022 - 07:46 PM

It's a very simple design that is pretty genius. Just pulleys and wire to pull a spring into a shaft that lifts the roof.

If it is at the lift, and you can get the top up, you can do what I did. 

Lift the top

Support the top with 2x4 or such

Detach the square tubing and remove the square tubing

Check tubing for rust, etc

Lubricate with silicone lube

If "springs" for lift....check for breaks, clean up as well as possible.

Worst case scenario, have a look at this system as an alternative....

My only concern with this solution is the weight of the roof after X# of years and water logging insulation. It was around 4-500 lbs.

As for canvas, ours was beyond rough. I thought replacement was a given. My loving wife went to town with soap, a small amount of bleach, and a magic eraser. The top looks brand new! I did have to make sure to add a few treatments of vinyl protectant after, but it still looks great. 

If not, there are a few companies online to do it for you. I'm a crazy DIYer though.....I'd probably just add it to the list for me to do. Then I know it was done the way I wanted, and probably with custom vinyl and maybe double with some insulation or some upgrade. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users