• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Ruck_and_Roll

Ruck_and_Roll

• Members
  • 144 posts
  • LocationGrand Junction, Colorado

Posted 08 April 2021 - 04:43 PM

Question for you F150/F250/F350 owners out there.  Are there any special instructions for mounting on current generation F150s?

I bought a used Hawk a few years ago and I am now upgrading the truck to a 2021 F150 Heavy Duty Payload Package.  At the time I ordered the mounting kit from FWC and did all of the work myself.  It turned out well, until after about 1 year I noticed some issues with some bed damage.  About 1 year ago I redid the work, bought longer eyebolts, used the 3x5 backing plates, and ran the eye bolts through the bed frame.  I believe this solved the problem and I had no further truck bed damage issues. 

I am going to do the install on a new truck next week and I was going to do the same thing as my second go around (3x5 backing plates, eye bolts through frame, etc).  Does anyone know how the dealers/FWC are doing the install on the new Fords?  I don't want to repeat the bed damage mistake.  (Also have an e-mail out to FWC).

Best,

Luke

2021 Ford XL SuperCrew HD Payload Pkg

2008 FWC Hawk

Western Colorado, USA

Instagram: @lukeyfiasco

#2 2trout

2trout

• Members
  • 101 posts
  • LocationGlenwood Springs

Posted 08 April 2021 - 10:27 PM

I bit the bullet and did Troklift tie downs. Very happy with the product. No monkeying around with holes in the truck bed. If i had to replace my truck with a new to me one, Id be building in the price of new Torklifts into my purchase.

trout

#3 ramblinChet

ramblinChet

• Gone Traveling
  • 486 posts
  • LocationYorktown, Virginia

Posted 10 April 2021 - 05:10 AM

My Torklift tie downs just arrived today and although they are expensive and you forfeit some clearance the benefits won it for me:

• other owners on here have had great success with them
  • they bolt directly to the frame
  • no checking tightness of turnbuckles
  • no permanent modifications or holes are required
  • no possibility of damaging the bed of a new vehicle

There are some other long term considerations that sat well with me also. If I decided five years from now to pick up a large hard side unit I already have the tie down gear. If I decide to try another tie down method at some point in the future these can be uninstalled in an hour or so and sold for a fair price.

I know everyone had different requirements so it will be interesting to see what you select.

Adventure vehicle: 2021 AEV Prospector & FWC Grandby Trail reports: Texas Hill Country, East Texas 450 Loop, Georgia Traverse, Allegheny Discovery Route, Laurel Highlands 200, Cross Pennsylvania Adventure Trail, Trans New Jersey Trail, Georgia Adventure Trail, Panhandle Adventure Trail, Cheeseburger Loop, Organs Loop, Sedona Backcountry Trail, Bloody Basin Trail, Crown King Road, Senator Highway, Big Bend Adventure Trail, Big Bend Ranch 150, El Camino del Diablo, Mojave Road, Joshua Tree Adventure Route, Anza-Borrego Discovery Trail, Kofa Pioneer Trail, Sonoran Desert Traverse, Five Tribes Overland Trail.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: F150, mounting, tie downs, turnbuckles

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users