ski3pin

Belay On

• Site Team
  • 15,254 posts
  • LocationSierra Nevada Range

Posted 11 April 2021 - 02:40 PM

A news story about this event -

Sierra Wave

2003 Ford Ranger FX4 Level II 2013 ATC Bobcat SE "And in the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years."- Abraham Lincoln  http://ski3pin.blogspot.com/

#22 AWG_Pics

AWG_Pics

Into the Great Empty

• Members
  • 1,190 posts
  • LocationOregon

Posted 11 April 2021 - 04:05 PM

If they had car trouble near Willow Springs then it may have looked like a temptingly short horizontal distance from the car to the highway below. They may have been able to see cars passing by. The walk back to Greenwater Road may have seemed a long, tedious slog for many miles across bleak terrain. We may never know why they took the route they did.

I have many times had to fight off the temptation to 'just head over to that point', or to 'drop down into this valley and pop up the other side'.

But then I learned early, beginning as an early teen on a deer hunting trip in the Wasatch Mountains, how quickly and easily you can make an error and get into impassable terrain. Fortunately I was able to back track, wind around, come out onto a dirt track and eventually, just after sunset, come onto a gravel road, which I followed downhill. I was in a completely different drainage. Got a ride a few minutes later.

Since that experience, and a couple of others, I remain extremely respectful of even short stretches of difficult, possibly impassable terrain, no matter how close I am to 'where I want to be'. I have turned around at times when only a hundred feet or so from a well trodden path due to hazardous obstacles. A friend of mine had a saying, which seems true: "Don't let a moment's courage screw you up!"

How to convey this sort of respect and caution to younger folks is difficult without seeming like a whinging old grandpappy.

Foy is right. A knowledge of your topographical and 3-D situation is all important. Flat maps are no substitute for reading the terrain.

Edited by AWG_Pics, 11 April 2021 - 04:14 PM.

lived for several years each in Montana, Utah, Idaho, Texas, Washington, Oregon.

2019 Tundra, Hawk.

https://www.flickr.c...hotos/awg_pics/

#23 Casa Escarlata Robles Too

Casa Escarlata Robles Too

C'est la vie

• Site Team
  • 9,267 posts
  • Locationmonterey bay area

Posted 11 April 2021 - 04:20 PM

A news story about this event -

Sierra Wave

Thanks Ski very sad story for sure.

Frank

2002 Tundra AC TRD 4WD Limited 2009 ATC Bobcat loaded http://sharychic.blogspot.com/

#24 Foy

Foy

Resident Geologist

• Members
  • 1,294 posts
  • LocationRaleigh, NC

Posted 11 April 2021 - 04:25 PM

I just spent my "lunchtime at my desk" break scrolling some DV hiking trail descriptions and the big shaded relief map on the NPS website.  Obviously, for you fellows who know the terrain from more than a few minutes of map study, the farther out Gold Valley Road they lost their tires, the more seductive seeking assistance via the comparatively short and absolutely direct route to Mormon Point had to have been. 

Mr. Lofgren's background as a combat engineer and his experience as a backcountry camper make this even more tragic. He was the age of my younger son.

Foy

#25 ski3pin

ski3pin

Belay On

• Site Team
  • 15,254 posts
  • LocationSierra Nevada Range

Posted 12 April 2021 - 03:43 PM

Julie and I taught outdoor skills for the California Department of Fish & Wildlife for 25 years. For the state's advanced hunter education program we taught a weekend in the field clinic on land navigation and survival.

We often surprised our students by stressing that survival skills were really quite simple, while many of our students came thinking survival was learning what bugs to eat. Our perspective was nipping problems in the bud before conditions spiraled into primitive survival skills.

It's our habits that save our lives.

Always carry the ten essentials.

Tell somebody your plans.

Stick to your itinerary.

If problems strike, stay put. Big things are easier to find, like your vehicle or camp.

Turn around. The terrain you know is better than the terrain you don't.

Our perspective was honed by over 30 years of picking up the pieces after things went wrong. Those are days we do not miss.

Unfortunately this tragedy is yet another example how a string of bad decisions led to an awful outcome. Adventures are meant to be fun. Let's keep them fun.

And our best to all the people who responded to and handled this incident.

2003 Ford Ranger FX4 Level II 2013 ATC Bobcat SE "And in the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years."- Abraham Lincoln  http://ski3pin.blogspot.com/

#26 DavidGraves

DavidGraves

• Members
  • 1,263 posts

Posted 12 April 2021 - 03:58 PM

Sad event without question...

After SAR experience here and supporting Forest Deputies as a Reserve I come back to an essential question.

At what point is the enormous increase in visitor promotion responsible for these tradgidies ?

Enormous promotion of winter storm watching here....

Young family rents cliff side tourist cabin....for a weekend.

BOTH young children lost to sneaker wave the next morning.

Hows that for a fun day at the north Oregon coast ?

The whole Adventure Travel phenomenon if a profit fueled exercise.

David Graves

#27 JaSAn

JaSAn

Grumpy Old Man

• Members
  • 1,098 posts
  • LocationMinnesota

Posted 13 April 2021 - 12:45 AM

. . .

Always carry the ten essentials.

. . .

From reading other discussions on this there are a couple of things I have added to my essentials:

- 1. Satellite communication is relatively cheap now.  I carry an inReach SE.

- 2. Panel marker.  Making my own version: a 3' X 3' ripstop nylon florescent orange sheet to spread out on the ground or fly.

- 3. Reflective 'emergency blanket' and strobing light.  I already carry both but its use was new: a reflective sheet spread out on the ground with a pulsing light reflecting off of it is attention grabbing even in daylight.

Sköldpaddan, a 1977 FWC Grandby
Renovating Skoldpaddan
2012 Ram 2500 4X4
1951 Dodge Power Wagon

#28 Smokecreek1

Smokecreek1

Smokecreek1

• Members
  • 2,758 posts
  • LocationNE Calif/NW Nev

Posted 13 April 2021 - 03:19 AM

So sad, but all it takes is one mistake whether you are Mr. super-camper or on  your first trip-to make it your last trip. I still remember that story of that very experienced back packer and his dog in Colorado several years back. They took off with all the right stuff, notified the right people and all the rest, took off and came to a lake and he decided to leave hi\s trip plan and take a short cut. Half way around the lake he slipped and got his foot/leg stuck in a crack and could not pull it out, the lake was only a few feet away-but he could not reach it and died when he ran out of water-the dog survived!  Yep-an  in-reach or Spot seems to be part of the answer anyway-that an luck. Still that old saying is still mostly right, "Some days you eat the bear and some days the bear eats you".

Smoke

Smokecreek1:99F1504x4with05Granby

#29 Lighthawk

Lighthawk

Weekend warrior

• Members
  • 3,318 posts
  • LocationNevada City, CA

Posted 13 April 2021 - 04:40 AM

We have been Inreach users for years and carry CalStar / AirMed insurance.  Camping and hiking off grid makes this backup important.

It's not only for us, in the case of emergency, but also if we encounter others in distress.

2021 RAM 3500 Crew 4x4, 6.4 hemi/8 speed trans with 4.10 gears, Timber Grove bags, Falken Wildpeak 35" tires.

OEV Aluma 6.75 flatbed, Bundutec Odyssey camper on order for 2024

For this year we're still using our 2008 FWC Hawk with victron DC-DC charger, 130w solar, MPPT controler

with 2000w inverter and external 120v output and 12v solar input with 100w portable solar.   http://lighthawkphoto.com

#30 craig333

craig333

Riley's Human

• Members
  • 8,000 posts
  • LocationSacramento

Posted 13 April 2021 - 04:13 PM

I don't always carry the inreach when I'm going on short walks. Like Smoke points out, you never know when something is going to happen and my dog is no Lassie. I need to make it habit to carry it all times. 

Craig K6JGV_________________________ 2004 2500 CTD 4X4 FWC HAWK 1960 CJ5

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users