• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 funemployed

funemployed

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 08 April 2021 - 09:12 PM

Now that I have finally accepted the fact that a Tundra likely is not a smart combo for my Granby any recommendations for a reliable 2500? Looking for something under 15k so likely an older truck. Appreciate the help!

Edited by funemployed, 08 April 2021 - 11:41 PM.

#2 Colorado Mark

Colorado Mark

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 95 posts
  • LocationLittleton & Buena Vista, CO

Posted 08 April 2021 - 09:57 PM

For $15K it will probably have to be a gas engine truck.  You won't find a taken care of diesel truck for that price.

A 3/4 ton (2500) is ideal.  A 1/2 ton will work.  Air bags (on either) really help.

I lucked out and scored a very, very clean Silverado2500HD with a gas engine while shopping for a truck for my Grandby.  Mine is a short bed but, I drop the tail gate and the back of the camper is sitting on the tail gate.   Very hard to find a long bed.

You can't even tell the camper is on the truck.  I average 11-16 MPG.  11MPG When I pull a trailer with 2000 pounds of ATV/UV on it.

If your a GM person, keep your eye open for any 06-07, 2500 with the 6.0L gas engine.  RPO# LQ4

No AFM (Active Fuel Management) and no VCT (Variable Cam Timing)   Its one of the best "LS" series truck engines you can get.

Saw one on Craigslist just recently, 80K miles, extended cab, long bed, 4X4.  LT trim.  $16K

#3 DarinH

DarinH

• Registered (Tapatalk)
  • 118 posts
  • Locationwestern Colorado

Posted 10 April 2021 - 05:02 AM

Any 2500 with good suspension will work for a Grandby. If you get a older truck you might need to replace the shocks with good heavy duty ones. I added air bags to my F250 and it is plenty stout enough for my Grandby. A 6.5' bed, with the tailgate down, will work for a Grandby if you can't find a longbed. I like having the little 8" wide platform (end of the tailgate) extending past the back of the camper.

My tailgate down sits about 3/8" higher than the level of the truck bed' so I put a rubber matt in the bed that leveled it with the tailgate, so the camper sits in there nice and level and the rubber matt also make a good vibration damper for off road travels.

#4 ramblinChet

ramblinChet

• Gone Traveling
  • 486 posts
  • LocationYorktown, Virginia

Posted 10 April 2021 - 05:20 AM

I decided to go with a RAM 3500 with a cargo capacity of 4,500 pounds.

Over the years I have noticed that virtually every variable mechanical, electrical, optical, etc. assembly I have worked with are normally designed to operate best when in the middle of their range. The upper and lower limits represent the edge of performance and although variable assemblies are designed to operate at those limits they are not in their ideal range which is usually right about in the middle.

With a planned loaded weight of 2,000-2,500 pounds, my permanent load will be right about in the middle of the range that my truck was designed to carry.

Adventure vehicle: 2021 AEV Prospector & FWC Grandby Trail reports: Texas Hill Country, East Texas 450 Loop, Georgia Traverse, Allegheny Discovery Route, Laurel Highlands 200, Cross Pennsylvania Adventure Trail, Trans New Jersey Trail, Georgia Adventure Trail, Panhandle Adventure Trail, Cheeseburger Loop, Organs Loop, Sedona Backcountry Trail, Bloody Basin Trail, Crown King Road, Senator Highway, Big Bend Adventure Trail, Big Bend Ranch 150, El Camino del Diablo, Mojave Road, Joshua Tree Adventure Route, Anza-Borrego Discovery Trail, Kofa Pioneer Trail, Sonoran Desert Traverse, Five Tribes Overland Trail.

#5 funemployed

funemployed

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 12 April 2021 - 11:29 PM

Great, appreciate the advice! So the craigslist hunt begins.

#6 SigSanDiego

SigSanDiego

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 75 posts

Posted 14 April 2021 - 05:06 PM

Ram 3500 here. Done.

Payload
Payload
Diesel

0 user(s) are reading this topic