17 replies to this topic

#11 michelle_east_county

michelle_east_county

Advanced Member

• Registered (Tapatalk)
  • PipPipPip
  • 97 posts

Posted 13 April 2022 - 09:34 PM

How's your GPS/navigation with the camper on? Reading this post is a good consideration about where to mount solar it seems.

We didn't order a navigation package but I believe the RH roof antenna does connect for the Ford software updates, notification re. alarm status, etc., though am not sure. But, there doesn't seem to be any change there. I, too, have been thinking that if I'd known solar panels could weaken a signal so substantially I'd have had solar panels mounted along middle towards rear. Now, there's a 200-watt panel across (EW) front and a 100-watt panel running behind it on driver's side (NS) that, together, somewhat block antenna. I'd wanted to leave room for a storage pod so that seemed the way to go at the time.

#12 pods8

pods8

• Members
  • 2,552 posts
  • LocationThornton, CO

Posted 14 April 2022 - 02:23 PM

We didn't order a navigation package but I believe the RH roof antenna does connect for the Ford software updates, notification re. alarm status, etc., though am not sure. But, there doesn't seem to be any change there. I, too, have been thinking that if I'd known solar panels could weaken a signal so substantially I'd have had solar panels mounted along middle towards rear. Now, there's a 200-watt panel across (EW) front and a 100-watt panel running behind it on driver's side (NS) that, together, somewhat block antenna. I'd wanted to leave room for a storage pod so that seemed the way to go at the time.

Oh the 2020 sync 3 don't have the basic navigation (maps but you have to pay to be able to input an address)?

Plus on the panels mounting them closer to one end or the other would stress the roof less in my mind. Very glad to have read this though as its not something I'd have really thought about factoring in on my design prior.

2022 F350 7.3L; family trailer at the moment and some aluminum stuck together to eventually form another truck camper

#13 michelle_east_county

michelle_east_county

Advanced Member

• Registered (Tapatalk)
  • PipPipPip
  • 97 posts

Posted 14 April 2022 - 07:16 PM

Oh the 2020 sync 3 don't have the basic navigation (maps but you have to pay to be able to input an address)?

Plus on the panels mounting them closer to one end or the other would stress the roof less in my mind. Very glad to have read this though as its not something I'd have really thought about factoring in on my design prior.

Re number of panels needed, we have 300 watts total and two AGMs. What little we've used it (embroiled in home repair and remodeling) so far has been the trip to pick it up in CO, back to KS to visit relatives, home to San Diego, and one trip to Death Valley. All camping and most time in driveway has been sunny and treeless but with refer on and moderate use of lights and furnace, we're getting more energy from sun than we can use and have never seen batteries discharge below about 85% by dawn. If that's your camping, 200 watts solar might still be plenty and be easier to locate where it wouldn't block antennas. But, we did want to accomodate heavy cloud cover, tree shade for part of day, cold weather where furnace blower ran more, etc.

Another thing, the antenna blockage by solar, etc., is only a concern with fiberglass RVs. My understanding (I'm not an engineer) is that an aluminum camper would block signal everywhere anyway so panel location then wouldn't matter.

#14 pods8

pods8

• Members
  • 2,552 posts
  • LocationThornton, CO

Posted 14 April 2022 - 07:46 PM

Re number of panels needed, we have 300 watts total and two AGMs. What little we've used it (embroiled in home repair and remodeling) so far has been the trip to pick it up in CO, back to KS to visit relatives, home to San Diego, and one trip to Death Valley. All camping and most time in driveway has been sunny and treeless but with refer on and moderate use of lights and furnace, we're getting more energy from sun than we can use and have never seen batteries discharge below about 85% by dawn. If that's your camping, 200 watts solar might still be plenty and be easier to locate where it wouldn't block antennas. But, we did want to accomodate heavy cloud cover, tree shade for part of day, cold weather where furnace blower ran more, etc.

Another thing, the antenna blockage by solar, etc., is only a concern with fiberglass RVs. My understanding (I'm not an engineer) is that an aluminum camper would block signal everywhere anyway so panel location then wouldn't matter.

I didn't comment on your wattage but thought in my head "hmmm that's alot" ;) I have 400w on my trailer and that furnace draws quite a bit more power along with more lights, maybe some TV usage if crap weather for the kids, etc. and that is typically overkill having it back into adsorption mode before noon. It also was sized for cloudy/cold weather worst case furnace running alot.

On a truck camper which tends to move around more I like a DC-DC charger off the truck to accommodate voltage losses from the truck and allows for effective charging, that with 100w solar for when parked a while probably would be the route I go but I have plenty of time to over think it. ;)

Well the aluminum roof may seal the fate then on that, we'll see if/when I get a truck delivered and toss a camper on it.

2022 F350 7.3L; family trailer at the moment and some aluminum stuck together to eventually form another truck camper

#15 shagit

shagit

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 03 August 2022 - 07:53 PM

Has anyone purchased and installed the relocation kit? Does it plug in right behind the glove box near the center stack? Disappointed Ford didn't consider this, especially when ordered with the slide in cert..  Going on a trip in two weeks and did a test fit and lost all signal (XM and nav)... 

#16 michelle_east_county

michelle_east_county

Advanced Member

• Registered (Tapatalk)
  • PipPipPip
  • 97 posts

Posted 14 October 2022 - 06:02 AM

After tiring of intermittently blocked SiriusXM signal from solar panels on camper roof, we complained to Sirius and asked for ideas. Rather than risk losing a customer, they sent us a new tuner and antenna kit. I mounted the antenna on a lazy Z-shaped bracket I made and bolted to right front fender using existing bolt under edge of hood, snaked wire back to cowl to door jamb to inside along lower edge of windshield to new tuner mounted to top center of dash. It transmits an FM signal to Ford tuner on whatever frequency isn’t used by a local radio station so must be reset when traveling. Sound quality is as good as original tuner. ‘ still need to clean up wiring, including power cord to tuner. But, we’re in business.

#17 UncleDougie

UncleDougie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts
  • LocationChandler, AZ

Posted 06 February 2023 - 11:20 PM

So check out you-tube there is a video of a guy that ordered the OEM Kit [search for: 2022 Ford Super Duty GPS/XM Radio Antennae and Backup Camera Relocation ]

Has anyone purchased and installed the relocation kit? Does it plug in right behind the glove box near the center stack? Disappointed Ford didn't consider this, especially when ordered with the slide in cert..  Going on a trip in two weeks and did a test fit and lost all signal (XM and nav)... 

I looked at it and it is $300+ so I'm still looking to figure out a piecemeal solution. Anyways he accessed the antenna on Driver-Side and basically plugged new wires into the ones that were there for original antenna. I think I can buy an antenna and the [ Fakra to SMB pigtail ] on Amazon. I'm going to the big truck camper rally this week and hope to find someone who tackled this mystery.

Edited by UncleDougie, 06 February 2023 - 11:28 PM.

#18 UncleDougie

UncleDougie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts
  • LocationChandler, AZ

Posted 06 February 2023 - 11:27 PM

Here is the OEM Q-327 SVE Bulletin

https://madocumentup...a141f0&v5=False

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users