#1 Holmes

Holmes

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 55 posts
  • LocationMazama, WA

Posted 09 April 2021 - 12:02 PM

Looking at upgrading to a 100ah lithium battery. Haven't been able to find info on compatibility with the stock 4 wheel overland solar charge controller. Plug and play? Any thought or recommendations? Thanks
Nick
2018 Tacoma DC M/T Off Road
2020 Silver Spur Swift
USFS North Cascade Smokejumper

#2 Jon R

Jon R

• Members
  • 906 posts
  • LocationWashington State

Posted 09 April 2021 - 03:34 PM

If you look at the overland solar charge controller you can see that it is a rebranded Victron controller. The model number is on the front. I listed it in a post to Vic somewhere but couldn’t quickly find it. You should be able to adjust the parameters for LiFePO via the setting accessible by the round control panel. It is one of the smaller Victron units with either 15 or 20 amps output, so it might limit you on the solar panels you can use. It will handle two 160 watt panels, which is what many people have installed.

The newer Victron Smart MPPT controllers have the advantage of being controllable by your phone using Bluetooth.

Jon R

2021 Grandby Slide-in Front Dinette

2021 GMC 3500HD CC LB SRW Gas

1993 Chevrolet K2500 Ext Cab LB

#3 Holmes

Holmes

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 55 posts
  • LocationMazama, WA

Posted 09 April 2021 - 06:35 PM

Hey thanks Jon, yeah I've been searching and haven't seen too much regarding the os controller other then its stated to be a 15/30 amp. Really trying to keep the OS controller as well. I'm looking at a single 200W panel, I know it'll be a stretch but really trying to keep the weight down and budget.
I had 300w residential panel,victron controller and two AGM 100ah Batts on my last build. Worked well for sure.
2020 Silver Spur Swift

#4 Atlin

Atlin

• Members
  • 131 posts
  • LocationSequim, WA; Atlin, BC

Posted 10 April 2021 - 12:49 PM

I use a Redarc controller.  Handles both solar and alternator power.  Not particularly cheap, but very robust.

#5 Holmes

Holmes

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 55 posts
  • LocationMazama, WA

Posted 15 April 2021 - 12:01 PM

Can anyone else verify that the stock controller, (overland controller installed in the 16+ four wheel campers) can facilitate a lithium battery? Or does anyone have any experience with this? Any and all info id appreciated, Nick
2020 Silver Spur Swift

#6 Wallowa

Wallowa

Double Ought

• Members
  • 2,173 posts
  • LocationNE Oregon

Posted 15 April 2021 - 03:35 PM

Can anyone else verify that the stock controller, (overland controller installed in the 16+ four wheel campers) can facilitate a lithium battery? Or does anyone have any experience with this? Any and all info id appreciated, Nick

Is this "Overland" Controller a Zamp Controller used in FWCs ['16]? 

#7 ri-f

ri-f

• Members
  • 263 posts
  • LocationPacific Northwest

Posted 15 April 2021 - 04:13 PM

Nick,

it's not a question of whether the Overland controller can handle a LiFePO4 battery, it can, but is like Jon says, it is not Bluetooth compatible. Also, The Redarc controller, a good, mutifunctional unit, previously mentioned, can only handle up to 30 vdc. If you are using an Overland 160 panel with a maximum voltage rating (voc) of 32.76 vdc you will be right on the edge of its limits, and more often than not over the limit. If you have your panels in series it will definetly be over the limit. The beauty of the Victron 100/30 controller, for instance, is that the  maximum voltage of your panels, even in series, won't trip the controller and of course you'll have bluetooth access on your smartphone, a nice benefit. Really convenient.. Since you're not using the Overland 160 panels this probably doesn't apply to your set up and the Overland solar controller (they make 15- and 30-amp models, should be adequate, if not bluetooth enabled,  But if you decide to expand in the future you should consider the tradeoffs and take them into account.

Here is the manual for the Overland 15/30 amp controller monitor: https://cdn.shopify....961060829597966

You can user define the basic parameters for your battery type with the Overland monitor. If you are using a Battle Born 100 AH, for example, they have very specific charging parameters that can be entered into the program, which will work very well. They base their settings on the Victron. I don't know if all of the parameters that are available on Victron's monitor are actually available on the Overland monitor. Maybe, maybe not. The Victron's parameters are extensive. It's a bit more tedious to enter the values into either of the monitors but it will still work ok. That's just one reason why the Victron bluetooth SmartConnect phone app is handy, it is much quicker to program. If you still have doubt about the specific settings parameters on the Overland, try asking Brian at Overland Solar, he knows his stuff.

Rich

Edited by ri-f, 16 April 2021 - 12:51 AM.

- 2001 Cummins 2500 quad cab 4x4 turbo diesel; NV4500 5-spd manual transmission; CM aluminum flatbed, '20 FWC Hawk shell - hybrid buildout.  https://ian-frese-of...r.blogspot.com/

- 2004 Jeep TJ - Rubicon

#8 Holmes

Holmes

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 55 posts
  • LocationMazama, WA

Posted 16 April 2021 - 08:23 PM

Hey Rich, thanks alot for the information. I'm really trying to keep the overland controller for now. I'll definitely give Brian a call and see how well a Li batt will work with the controller on not. I'm aslo hoping I can just stick with one single panel on my yakima racks. I'm looking at overlands 150w rigid panel or a renogy 200W panel to pair with the lithium battery or just 1 100ah agm battery. I'm still concerned about the controller pairing with either of those panel choices as well, simply because I'm so damn confused about this stuff. Really just hoping for a plug and play panel I can get on the roof and hope I can keep the compressor fridge going. I should have supplemental charge from the alternator as well if I decide to have Mule overland install that option when I get the camper installed. I've heard mixed reviews about that as well. Nick

Edited by Holmes, 16 April 2021 - 08:26 PM.

2020 Silver Spur Swift

#9 ri-f

ri-f

• Members
  • 263 posts
  • LocationPacific Northwest

Posted 16 April 2021 - 09:46 PM

Hey Rich, thanks alot for the information. I'm really trying to keep the overland controller for now. I'll definitely give Brian a call and see how well a Li batt will work with the controller on not. I'm aslo hoping I can just stick with one single panel on my yakima racks. I'm looking at overlands 150w rigid panel or a renogy 200W panel to pair with the lithium battery or just 1 100ah agm battery. I'm still concerned about the controller pairing with either of those panel choices as well, simply because I'm so damn confused about this stuff. Really just hoping for a plug and play panel I can get on the roof and hope I can keep the compressor fridge going. I should have supplemental charge from the alternator as well if I decide to have Mule overland install that option when I get the camper installed. I've heard mixed reviews about that as well. Nick

Nick, yeah, Brian's a good guy, he'll set you straight.Not sure what you're referring to with an Overland 150W rigid panel. I know they make 130 and 160 w semi flexible panels, which, by the way, are excellent panels. A really efficient fridge will consume about 0.75 amps/hr on average - over 24 hours that is ~18 amp hours per day, on average. Chances are you can get away with one, 160 w Overland panel and one, 100 ah Lithium battery. One AGM isn't going to cut it, you'll need two AGMs (200 ah total) or 1 Lithium (100 ah). In summer it won't be a problem. During the winter, you'll be somewhat on the edge, especially if you are trying to run a heater that uses an electric fan, while keeping up with charging your small electronics, etc, let alone running a fridge. You might only get 1-2 days tops before recharging your battery with one AGM. You might want to consider adding a second panel of the same type and size later on if you find that one panel is insufficient for your purposes. You might be ok with sunny 3-season use. Though the Cascades will be a challenge with one panel. In that case just make sure your component parts are future proof for easy expansion later, if necessary. A Victron smart 100/30 mppt controller or possibly an Overland 100/30 should be perfect with 2 panels. A good DC to DC charger might help if your solar is limited. Remember, any charger you get should be able to handle more than the voltage rating of your solar panels (Overland panels are rated at 32.76 vdc) if you want to be able to charge with your alternator and solar panels at the same time, which is very convenient and efficient.. A Victron 30amp Dc to DC or Sterling model 1230 Dc to DC will do this with no issue. Redarc, probably not. I think they are only rated for 28-30 vdc, which might be okay with a solar panel that has a lower max voltage rating (anything under 28 vdc. Good luck with the build.

Rich

Edited by ri-f, 16 April 2021 - 11:43 PM.

- 2001 Cummins 2500 quad cab 4x4 turbo diesel; NV4500 5-spd manual transmission; CM aluminum flatbed, '20 FWC Hawk shell - hybrid buildout.  https://ian-frese-of...r.blogspot.com/

- 2004 Jeep TJ - Rubicon

#10 Holmes

Holmes

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 55 posts
  • LocationMazama, WA

Posted 17 April 2021 - 03:22 AM

https://www.overland...er-panel-osm100
I know the link says 100W but it's a fully rigid 150W on overland's website.
I'm tracking on the power needed. Seems like a Lithium might be making more sense to me based on weight and area restrictions as well. I'm curious what Brian will say about making it work with the overland controller. Thanks once again for the insight.
2020 Silver Spur Swift

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Lithium battery

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users