• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 ramblinChet

ramblinChet

• Gone Traveling
  • 486 posts
  • LocationYorktown, Virginia

Posted 10 April 2021 - 06:47 AM

Has anyone tried this Marinco 70A 3-Wire Trolling Motor Plug & Receptacle?

https://www.marinco.com/en/12vcps3

gallery_11029_1446_58344.jpg

My research suggests FWC currently use an Attwood combination and in the past used a different Marinco plug and receptacle. This looks like a pretty nice unit that will handle additional load for those with multiple batteries to charge.

Adventure vehicle: 2021 AEV Prospector & FWC Grandby Trail reports: Texas Hill Country, East Texas 450 Loop, Georgia Traverse, Allegheny Discovery Route, Laurel Highlands 200, Cross Pennsylvania Adventure Trail, Trans New Jersey Trail, Georgia Adventure Trail, Panhandle Adventure Trail, Cheeseburger Loop, Organs Loop, Sedona Backcountry Trail, Bloody Basin Trail, Crown King Road, Senator Highway, Big Bend Adventure Trail, Big Bend Ranch 150, El Camino del Diablo, Mojave Road, Joshua Tree Adventure Route, Anza-Borrego Discovery Trail, Kofa Pioneer Trail, Sonoran Desert Traverse, Five Tribes Overland Trail.

#2 fuzzymarindave

fuzzymarindave

• Members
  • 255 posts
  • LocationMarin County, CA

Posted 10 April 2021 - 09:27 PM

Not familiar with it but it looks like a good option.  The Tech specs say it can handle 6 gauge wire but they don't show the dimensions of the cable/conductor end to see what type of wire can be used.   My 2015 Hawk came with a 3-prong connector but I don't believe that it is rated that high.  I already had Anderson SB50 connector for 2-wires from truck alternator/battery so I ended up using only 1 prong on the 3-wire to power the running lights.  

2015 Hawk, Silver Spur Interior, Fiberglass siding.  2008 F250 4x4 Supercab

#3 Old Crow

Old Crow

Searching....

• Members
  • 1,059 posts
  • LocationSouth Central PA

Posted 12 April 2021 - 01:05 PM

+1 on the 'looks good' comment.

Some things I notice about it compared to the Attwood one... (I'm writing this down so I can find it again later and may as well share the info. If you see anything wrong, please reply or PM me.)

1. The Attwood one typically used by FWC (probably part number 7622-7, the Male/Female Kit) is currently $20.45 and the Marinco Plug/Receptacle Combo (part number 12VCPS3) is $47.18 (both Amazon prices). (But the Marinco is also for much larger wires).

2. The Attwood one connects via 6"-long 10-gauge wires ending in a butt-splice (crimp) connector.  The Marinco is connected by disassembling it, running a 6 or 8-gauge wire* through a rubber seal, adding a ferrule (sleeve) to the stripped end and inserting it into a terminal well.  Then you use an allen wrench to tighten down two set-screws, effectively crimping the ferrule onto the wire and securing the assembly into the well.

3. The wire colors can be a bit confusing on the Attwood since you are connecting black, white, and green wires from the truck or camper to the black, yellow, and blue leads of the receptacle and plug.  For the Marinco, you wouldn't have that color change.

4. The Attwood would appear to have a more weatherproof/dustproof connection (assuming you use heat-shrink tubing to cover the butt splice).   It may be useful to put heat-shrink tubing at the base of the Marinco's ferrule but it seems the connection well would not be sealed by that.  Perhaps liquid electrical tape could be used to close that off.

5. The Overview page for the Marinco combo says 'Accepts up to 6 AWG wire'. The Tech Data document for the plug says "Wire Size: 8AWG and 6AWG".  Interestingly, the Tech Data document for the receptacle says: "Wire Size: 8AWG and 6AWG. 4AWG can be used with 4AWG Ferulles (not provided)".  It's unclear why that's true for the receptacle but not the plug.  And it's unclear how that works. If a 4AWG ferrule fits, you'd think the spec would be up to 4 AWG everywhere.

6. On an FWC, the third wire is used for the tail-light circuit.  So you'd have 8 or 6 (or perhaps 4) gauge wire coming from the truck's battery but perhaps a 16-gauge wire from the tail-lights (and the same size discrepancy on the camper side).  How best to do this? Just screw down the screw (if it goes far enough)?  Push the tail-light wire into a ferrule on a larger gauge wire (and make sure it stays where the set-screw comes down on the ferrule)?

7. A package of ferrules is provided with the Marinco plug/receptacle combo.

8. Dimensions are on the tech data sheets.  I see the mounting hole is 1-3/4" for the Marinco receptacle.  It's 1-1/8" for the Attwood one.

9. YouTube video of a guy installing the Marinco 70-amp plug and receptacle on his boat.

* see #5

Edited by Old Crow, 12 April 2021 - 03:03 PM.

'01 FWC Hawk shell on a '13 Tundra Double-Cab  + '19 Ford Transit van with Quigley 4x4 option

#4 Bootboiler

Bootboiler

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

Posted 08 March 2022 - 06:30 PM

Reviews of the one used by FWC, the Atwood part number 7622-7, state that is leaks, and caused fuses to blow.  I bought one for FWC, and it is not waterproof so if you expect to take you camper off and be in a wet location or wash your truck I suggest the Marino is a better choice.  You get what you pay for, on my older finch it uses the older FWC plug, the Marinco https://www.westmari...591?recordNum=2

If I need to will change the plug out but it looks fine, and will only use the receptacle.  

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users