Photo
- - - - -

What to look for in a gel memory foam mattress topper for my camper?

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 garyr

garyr

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 11 April 2021 - 08:26 PM

What qualities should I look for in a memory foam topper. Gel? Thickness? Durability? Other? Brand recommendations? Thnx.

Edited by garyr, 11 April 2021 - 08:27 PM.

#2 longhorn1

longhorn1

Ouch, that stings!

• Members
  • 2,826 posts
  • LocationCarmel, Indiana

Posted 11 April 2021 - 08:51 PM

Lucid blue gel topper maybe one of the best and is priced competitively. If you are leaving the factory, then 2" so you can be sure to close the roof. I was able to close the roof on our 2014 Grandby with the 3", but wish I got the 2". We have Marine HyperVent under the factory mattress.

http://texaslonghorns01.blogspot.com/

Ford F-250 Long bed, 2014 Grandby

#3 garyr

garyr

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 11 April 2021 - 09:06 PM

Lucid blue gel topper maybe one of the best and is priced competitively. If you are leaving the factory, then 2" so you can be sure to close the roof. I was able to close the roof on our 2014 Grandby with the 3", but wish I got the 2". We have Marine HyperVent under the factory mattress.

Does hyperVent compress to less than 3/4 inch?

#4 ckent323

ckent323

• Members
  • 1,226 posts
  • LocationSolvang, CA

Posted 11 April 2021 - 09:20 PM

On 2007 FWC Keystone we have Froli springs on bottom, then 4" thick high density foam in medium firmness with 1" eggcrate style memory foam on top.  

We used to keep the bedding (Slumberjack 40 deg/30 deg double sleeping bag) on top of the mattress but now we have to take it down and fold or roll it up.  The sleeping bag is about 2" thick.  If we used down sleeping bags or sheets and a blanket or down quilt we could leave the bedding on and still close the top.

Roof closes down snug against the sheet that is over the memory foam but the top does seal and latch easily.

The latches are adjustable to accomodate a little extra height of mattress.

Edited by ckent323, 11 April 2021 - 09:24 PM.

1993 Dodge Cummins W-250 Club Cab long bed, 2007 FWC Keystone

#5 garyr

garyr

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 12 April 2021 - 01:14 AM

On 2007 FWC Keystone we have Froli springs on bottom, then 4" thick high density foam in medium firmness with 1" eggcrate style memory foam on top. 

Which Froli - the 'Travel'? Does a 1-inch memory foam topper add a lot more comfort with this system vs. a 2 inch high-density foam base and a 3 -inch memory foam topper?

#6 Vic Harder

Vic Harder

Doctor Electric

• Site Team
  • 4,948 posts
  • LocationCalgary, Alberta

Posted 12 April 2021 - 02:13 AM

Does hyperVent compress to less than 3/4 inch?

By design the hypervent does not compress at all.

#7 ckent323

ckent323

• Members
  • 1,226 posts
  • LocationSolvang, CA

Posted 12 April 2021 - 08:55 AM

garyr,

Froli traveller. 

The reason we have what we have:  Our original FWC mattress was too firm.  We bought a memory form topper for it.  Both the topper and original FWC matress were damaged by condensed moisture in the camper.  Fortunately we were able to clean and save the mattress cover.  We replaced the mattress with the high density mattress in medium firm firmness from Foam Online.

We found that medium firm was a bit too firm.  We should have bought the high density foam mattress with medium firmness

We added the Traveller spring system.  The Froli springs helped quite a bit. They also have kept the bottom of the mattress dry.  The Froli system allows the mattress to remain above any condensation that runs down the sides and gets under the mattress in cold weather. Last year we decided to remove a 1' eggrate memory foam mattress topper from another bed we had in the house and I put it on the camper bed.  I helps a little and I think would be too much if we had the medium firmness mattress rather than the medium firm firmness mattress.

We had a 2' memory foam topper on a different mattress a few years ago and you can feel the difference between the 1" and 2" memory form mattresses.

If I were to do it over I would get the high density foam mattress in medium firmness and put the Froli traveller system undeneath.

The mattress firmness each of us finds comfortable is higly variable.  Some people like firm some people like soft and others like something in between.  It is best if you can try a mattress or if you can take your mattress in to a foam supplier and compare it to a candidate replacement (at least a meaningful size sample).

You asked:
Does a 1-inch memory foam topper add a lot more comfort with this system vs. a 2 inch high-density foam base and a 3 -inch memory foam topper?

1) You did not specify the firmness of the high density foam mattress

2) I think it better to have a thicker base mattress of a firmness you like with a thinner soft memory form topper to maximize back support and minimize the chances of hip pressure points and cold spots from the overcab floor of the camper bed area.

I would prefer a 4" thick high density foam mattress with a 1" memory foam topper by comparison.  But what works for me may not work for you.

My last thought on this;  A good quality high density foam mattress 4" thick is going to cost around $400.  Putting it on top of a Froli spring system will protect the mattress from water condensing under it and causing mold problems. It will also create a modest insulating layer of air between the floor of the overcab bed area and the bottom of the mattress.  

I hope you are able to sort this all out to your own comfort and satisfaction.

Craig

Edited by ckent323, 12 April 2021 - 08:59 AM.

#8 garyr

garyr

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 12 April 2021 - 04:12 PM

...If I were to do it over I would get the high density foam mattress in medium firmness and put the Froli traveller system undeneath.

...I would prefer a 4" thick high density foam mattress with a 1" memory foam topper by comparison.  But what works for me may not work for you.

...Last year we decided to remove a 1' eggrate memory foam mattress topper from another bed we had in the house and I put it on the camper bed.  I helps a little and I think would be too much if we had the medium firmness mattress rather than the medium firm firmness mattress.

Craig, thanks for that detailed reply. It's very helpful info.

Also if you were to do it again, you said you would use the Froli Traveller under the 4 inch high density-medium firmness foam. So, you would not add the egg crate memory foam to this?

I have room, with the Traveller system, for 3 inches of foam with our sleeping bags, or up to 4 1/2 to 5 inches without the bags. Was wondering if 3 inches of high-density medium-firm firmness would be reasonable? vs. 4 inches as you described.

Again, thanks,

Gary

Edited by garyr, 12 April 2021 - 05:34 PM.

#9 ckent323

ckent323

• Members
  • 1,226 posts
  • LocationSolvang, CA

Posted 12 April 2021 - 05:53 PM

garyr,

Personally I don't think the memory foam topper would be needed.  But my needs may be different than yours.  In my experience buying a mattress of any kind (home, boat, camper, etc) of the optimal firmness for your body is always a challenge.  It is always best to try a particular mattress and firmness before you buy if you can.

I struggled making the decision to spend the money to buy the Froli springs.  I am glad i did in part because I no longer need to worry about condensation under the mattress and in part because it helps make the "a bit too firm" mattress we bought more comfortable.

I have found that some foam is lower quality so be sure the faom you buy is the good stuff (typically more expensive though).

P.S. The OEM mattress in our 2007 FWC Keystone was very uncomfortable and it was 4" thick.  Our previous 1984 FWC Keystone had a built in OEM mattress that was thinnner than 4" (3" I think) and we both had uncomfortable hip pressure points when sleepinhg on it.

Where I am coming from:  I am over 65 now and a backpacker (at least was up to a couple of years ago) and have slept on the ground on various air mattresses, egg crate pads, thin ensolite pads and modern foam/air backpacking mattresses over the past 50+ years.  I was able to sleep adequately on the ground but as I got older I found I needed more padding and I haven't gotten as good of rest overnight sleeping on the backpacking type mattresses since my mid 30's.  My backpacking trips have frequently been more than 4 nights up to 10 or 12 nights.  I can still sleep on a carpeted floor (have done so many times when staying places without sufficient places for everyine to sleep) but not without discomfort causing a lot of tossing and turning.  That is OK for one or two nights.  I try to avoid that in my beds in the house and the camper.  We typically take trips that are more than 2 weeks in duration and I prefer to sleep with minimal discomfort

I hope that helps "frame" my responses.

Good luck

Craig

Edited by ckent323, 12 April 2021 - 05:55 PM.

#10 garyr

garyr

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 12 April 2021 - 08:08 PM

garyr,

Personally I don't think the memory foam topper would be needed.  But my needs may be different than yours.  In my experience buying a mattress of any kind (home, boat, camper, etc) of the optimal firmness for your body is always a challenge.  It is always best to try a particular mattress and firmness before you buy if you can.

I struggled making the decision to spend the money to buy the Froli springs.  I am glad i did in part because I no longer need to worry about condensation under the mattress and in part because it helps make the "a bit too firm" mattress we bought more comfortable.

I have found that some foam is lower quality so be sure the faom you buy is the good stuff (typically more expensive though).

P.S. The OEM mattress in our 2007 FWC Keystone was very uncomfortable and it was 4" thick.  Our previous 1984 FWC Keystone had a built in OEM mattress that was thinnner than 4" (3" I think) and we both had uncomfortable hip pressure points when sleepinhg on it.

Where I am coming from:  I am over 65 now and a backpacker (at least was up to a couple of years ago) and have slept on the ground on various air mattresses, egg crate pads, thin ensolite pads and modern foam/air backpacking mattresses over the past 50+ years.  I was able to sleep adequately on the ground but as I got older I found I needed more padding and I haven't gotten as good of rest overnight sleeping on the backpacking type mattresses since my mid 30's.  My backpacking trips have frequently been more than 4 nights up to 10 or 12 nights.  I can still sleep on a carpeted floor (have done so many times when staying places without sufficient places for everyine to sleep) but not without discomfort causing a lot of tossing and turning.  That is OK for one or two nights.  I try to avoid that in my beds in the house and the camper.  We typically take trips that are more than 2 weeks in duration and I prefer to sleep with minimal discomfort

I hope that helps "frame" my responses.

Good luck

Craig

Thanks, Craig. I hear you! I've had similar experiences, and I know it's it's a personal thing in large part, as well. I've ordered the Froli Traveller system. I'm going to initially try a 3 or possibly 4 inch (if I can fit the 4 inch in my existing 3 inch cover) high-resilency medium firmness foam from Online Foam. It is appx. 2.8-3.0 lbs. density with a rating of 30 ILD. I spoke with Erika, at Froli and she thought that particular 3 inch foam would work very well with the Traveller system. All I can do is give it shot and adjust from there. Trial and error. But I think I'll be pretty close to a reasonable level of comfort. I think the Froli springs will help with any shortcomings of a 3 inch vs. a 4 inch base layer. And of course the air flow will be a  welcome addition.

Thanks for the link to Online Foam as well.

Gary

Edited by garyr, 12 April 2021 - 08:09 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users