• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Saipan1

Saipan1

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 14 April 2021 - 01:37 AM

I'm installing my slide-in Hawk on a flatbed (pictures of my build to follow!). The shop installing the flatbed on my truck says there is some flexibility on how high the bed rests. 

Is there an ideal clearance for the bed overhang over the cab?  Thanks.

John

#2 ri-f

ri-f

• Members
  • 263 posts
  • LocationPacific Northwest

Posted 14 April 2021 - 02:35 AM

I'm installing my slide-in Hawk on a flatbed (pictures of my build to follow!). The shop installing the flatbed on my truck says there is some flexibility on how high the bed rests. 

Is there an ideal clearance for the bed overhang over the cab?  Thanks.

John

John,

A flatbed will sit a little higher than a pickup. You might gain enough room with that extra height to put a rack on top of your cab and stow some stuff up there while underway, including, for instance, MaxTrax. I have  photos of my rig and flatbed build you should probably take a look at (see the link in my sig below) which shows this use of space above the cab. I probably would keep the center of gravity as low as possible, while at the same time giving yourself some valuable storage space above the cab. Also, I build my own side rails (side  gates) and storage boxes that will also give you a lot  more storage capacity than a traditional slide in/pickup combo. Again, see the pix.

Rich

- 2001 Cummins 2500 quad cab 4x4 turbo diesel; NV4500 5-spd manual transmission; CM aluminum flatbed, '20 FWC Hawk shell - hybrid buildout.  https://ian-frese-of...r.blogspot.com/

- 2004 Jeep TJ - Rubicon

#3 Saipan1

Saipan1

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 14 April 2021 - 06:41 PM

Thanks for the input, Rich. I had stumbled across your build before and used it for inspiration for my project.  I especially appreciated some of your heating solutions as we live in Montana and use our our rig as a ski basecamp and we winter camp in Yellowstone.

If I decide to go for a more flush mount for the camper over the cab, what is the minimum clearance between the cab and the bed overhang. My thinking there needs to be accommodation for torsion of the cab, chassis, flatbed, and Hawk.  Anyone? 

Thanks, John

#4 ri-f

ri-f

• Members
  • 263 posts
  • LocationPacific Northwest

Posted 14 April 2021 - 07:14 PM

Thanks for the input, Rich. I had stumbled across your build before and used it for inspiration for my project.  I especially appreciated some of your heating solutions as we live in Montana and use our our rig as a ski basecamp and we winter camp in Yellowstone.

If I decide to go for a more flush mount for the camper over the cab, what is the minimum clearance between the cab and the bed overhang. My thinking there needs to be accommodation for torsion of the cab, chassis, flatbed, and Hawk.  Anyone? 

Thanks, John

John, I would think that two inches off the high point of your cab roof would be sufficient. You could ask Stan at FWC what the absolute minimum could be, but with a flatbed, it's really unlikely you'll come in closer than a couple of inches anyway . How much flexibility in height does your flatbed installer say that you have? I doubt that you can come in sitting at the same level as a pickup body. The flatbed rails typically sit on yop of the chassis frame, and so the flatbed will usually ride a few inches higher. In any event it won't be any lower than a standard pickup, and the slide-in FWC is designed to fit most pickup trucks. Just make sure that your 'headache rack' on the flatbed will clear the camper overhang. Good luck with the install and mods. We've spent a lot of time in Montana too. Great public access. You will definetly need a good heating solution for your winter excursions. What we've done works well. What area do you live in?

Rich

- 2001 Cummins 2500 quad cab 4x4 turbo diesel; NV4500 5-spd manual transmission; CM aluminum flatbed, '20 FWC Hawk shell - hybrid buildout.  https://ian-frese-of...r.blogspot.com/

- 2004 Jeep TJ - Rubicon

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users