22 replies to this topic

#21 ski3pin

ski3pin

searcher

• Site Team
  • 12,672 posts
  • LocationSierra Nevada Range

Posted 09 June 2021 - 07:10 PM

Here is another interesting one. A "sea" that was filled by accident in California and is now dead holds one third of the global supply of lithium.

Salton Sea is Key to California's EV Future

2003 Ford Ranger FX4 Level II 2013 ATC Bobcat SE "And in the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years."- Abraham Lincoln<p>http://ski3pin.blogspot.com/

#22 Foy

Foy

Resident Geologist

• Members
  • 1,096 posts
  • LocationRaleigh, NC

Posted 09 June 2021 - 10:36 PM

If I'm not mistaken, the presence of the Accidental Sea at the surface has nothing to do with the geothermal power resource or the developing processes to extract lithium from the brine which occurs at some apparently considerable depth below the "sea".  The questions about the source of the brines and the depths at which they occur are probably fairly readily determinable but for the time being, I suspect the arrival of the sea at the surface 100 years ago has little to no impact on the resource aquifer much deeper in the graben.

But it's fascinating to read about the State Gummint's enthusiasm towards development of the resource!  There's even a catchy new name in play: The Lithium Valley!  Again, this skeptical curmudgeon's Gummint BS radar is buzzing loudly. 

I earnestly hope to see gobs of lithium produced in the area of the Salton Sea a responsible and profitable manner, but when Gummint enthusiasm such as this suddenly pops up, I sense some other interests are about to get trampled.

That which seems too good to be true, often is.

Foy

#23 AWG_Pics

AWG_Pics

• Members
  • 467 posts
  • LocationOregon

Posted 10 June 2021 - 12:22 AM

Foy, I have yet to meet a fellow geologist who is not a skeptic at heart. I share your sentiments. My take is there are many "garbage to gold" schemes out there, but very few pan out. I would love to be proven wrong on this one.

lived for several years each in Montana, Utah, Idaho, Texas, Washington, Oregon.

2019 Tundra, Hawk.

https://www.flickr.c...hotos/awg_pics/

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users