• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 buckland

buckland

• Members
  • 3,050 posts
  • LocationNew England

Posted 17 April 2021 - 03:06 PM

This might be a one-up question but I was thinking today ...as we got 10" snow yesterday...melting today so the mud.... anyway was using the time inside to think about summer. We are going to 2 different remote cabins in northern Maine on lakes each for a week. I'll take the camper as one cabin requires a 1/3 mile walk in from the end of a log road and I would like to keep some stuff in the fridge (beer!) cold and there is the possibility of wandering around up there thereafter ... might find some nice boon docking. 

We've done many trips to the North Maine Woods... private top 1/4 of the State of Maine... logging companies and very large landowners. One has to buy road access permit. Follow the rules as it is wild up there and no way too extradite oneself other then by your own equipment. I have to admit that when I was first up there in my new eagle 2011, I went places that now I would think twice and I had less stuff to get me out. Which brings me to the question I have. There were a number of log roads, that after driving 60 miles one found oneself staring at a flooded road and a beaver dam. It was either backtrack or take the canoe off the truck... paddle the road testing for depth and then be able to scout the beaver dam and the possibility of driving on it across the stream.... yea not too bright but apparently after actually being successful  at the other side which was about a 1/4 mile... we ran into some logging guys who didn't think it was out of the ordinary. Just a thumbs up and a wave. 

The depth of the water was about 4" above the bottom of the door... the crest wave, which is important, was kept just below the hood. I had put a rubber hose on my differential breather and ran it up between the cab/bed.... but I did not think about the water getting in through the axil. A few years later I paid the price for that mistake. 

The question is now: I see trucks with the snorkel but what about the bearings and differential? (yup I got water in there). I see shots of WTW folks crossing streams and such which look as deep as what I have crossed. Are there preventative things I should do ? (seals etc). I might have cleared up the question some may have harbored if I was nuts or not..... I have done things looking back .... well maybe I shouldn't have tried that! (I hate turning around).

Attached Thumbnails

• 7.jpeg
  • 8.jpeg
  • 9.jpeg

Edited by buckland, 17 April 2021 - 03:11 PM.

2016 Duramax 2.8 Diesel long bed Colorado 4WD with 2011 Eagle

Lordwoodcraft  instagram        Rob
The only people who ever get anyplace interesting are the people who get lost.
Henry David Thoreau
"Work to achieve not to acquire"

#2 DavidGraves

DavidGraves

• Members
  • 1,263 posts

Posted 17 April 2021 - 03:32 PM

There is a common practice to route a hose upward from differential breather to a high point under hood and often to the gas fill door.

We spend a few summers in the North Woods above Moosehead lake.

Glad you only had some mechanical damage...did not get stranded.

Like you said, big country, no logging crews in August...right ?

David Graves

#3 buckland

buckland

• Members
  • 3,050 posts
  • LocationNew England

Posted 17 April 2021 - 03:39 PM

Well last time there in August there were many huge logging transfer trucks .... do not get in their way.... maybe no logging ...not sure. but never go near there inboard or worse...moose season.... it is crazy as there are very few places to boondock considering how big an area and the hunters goo in mass... stake out a site weeks before and then it is party time.... Not my cup of tea. Black fly season is to be experienced.... If you haver been to Newfoundland or Labrador then you have a good idea what it is like. 

I had the hose vent for the differential but concerned about water getting in elsewhere.

Henry David Thoreau

#4 buckland

buckland

• Members
  • 3,050 posts
  • LocationNew England

Posted 17 April 2021 - 07:47 PM

Here's a tame version.... of suddenly seeing a logging truck coming (btw one should have the latest version of CB ...the new type $$$ that the drivers use... one is expected to announce where you are) 

https://youtu.be/HWP6za61yXE

Edited by buckland, 17 April 2021 - 07:50 PM.

Henry David Thoreau

#5 DavidGraves

DavidGraves

• Members
  • 1,263 posts

Posted 17 April 2021 - 08:19 PM

Howdy

I always run my headlights on when in the woods also....but I have older truck with no DLR.

The logging trucks on Vacouver Island  BC are easily twice that big...dedicated off road rigs.....V16 with water cooled brakes.....

Jesus, it is like encountering a locomotive coming down the woods road.....strictly one way and they have good communication with each other.

I once saw a parked truck and backed our camper up to it for a photo op from the drivers seat.....could barely see the roof vent.

We miss N England and may get out there next Fall.

Best Regards

David Graves

#6 Casa Escarlata Robles Too

Casa Escarlata Robles Too

C'est la vie

• Site Team
  • 9,267 posts
  • Locationmonterey bay area

Posted 17 April 2021 - 08:24 PM

Like the mining trucks that roam the Dempster Hwy in the Yukon.

Wow they are huge and barrel along at a great clip.

Frank

2002 Tundra AC TRD 4WD Limited 2009 ATC Bobcat loaded http://sharychic.blogspot.com/

#7 buckland

buckland

• Members
  • 3,050 posts
  • LocationNew England

Posted 17 April 2021 - 08:41 PM

YUP! But on the Dempster...you can see then coming ... on the forest roads they can come outta nowhere... I've had a few of those ... better check my shorts... episodes...  

Henry David Thoreau

#8 buckland

buckland

• Members
  • 3,050 posts
  • LocationNew England

Posted 17 April 2021 - 08:51 PM

Hoping for "back to normal" ... If we can all just behave! and be smart! ... I can't wait to wander around again. (a very BIG lesson: "you don't know what you got till it's gone")i

But ........................................................... how about axils?..... will water get6 in on stream crossings? Is it only the breather to set right?

Bearings?

Henry David Thoreau

#9 craig333

craig333

Riley's Human

• Members
  • 8,000 posts
  • LocationSacramento

Posted 17 April 2021 - 09:55 PM

Do the loggers there take the weekend off like the loggers here? Axles, diffs and transmission and transfer case all need to be run up. Not much you can do about wheel bearings but hope the seals are good. I try my best to avoid water as I really don't like to pull everything apart and look for water.

Craig K6JGV_________________________ 2004 2500 CTD 4X4 FWC HAWK 1960 CJ5

#10 buckland

buckland

• Members
  • 3,050 posts
  • LocationNew England

Posted 17 April 2021 - 10:26 PM

Thanks Craig I will look for there other breathers.... Maine is 'different' there are a lot of independents and folks that may want to do a load when they want.... that said it is always best not to think there is clear sailing. I have encountered empty logging trucks doing 60mph going somewhere on Sunday. When I go back again I will get the new "radio" (not CB)...  hate the expense but sure beats being a bug on a windshield!

Henry David Thoreau

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users