• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 PJorgen

PJorgen

• Members
  • 178 posts
  • LocationNorthern Nevada

Posted 18 April 2021 - 02:23 AM

Recently read that the fuel moisture content, essentially the amount of water in the native plants, is at an all-time low in California.

https://fortune.com/...san-jose-state/

If COVID continues to drive people into the great outdoors, this year could be a disaster in terms of wildfires.

I know it's not a popular opinion, but I support a ban on campfires.  I've never understood the attraction of standing around a fire for no particular reason.  

2014 Hawk, Silver Spur exterior on a 2012 GMC 2500HD 4x4.

#2 Wandering Sagebrush

Wandering Sagebrush

Free Range Human

• Site Team
  • 10,589 posts
  • LocationNortheast Oregon

Posted 18 April 2021 - 02:24 AM

Let’s say our prayers this doesn’t happen, but I am worried.

I am haunted by waters

#3 PaulT

PaulT

Need gumbo

• Members
  • 2,612 posts
  • LocationHillsboro, Oregon

Posted 18 April 2021 - 03:11 AM

I know it's not a popular opinion, but I support a ban on campfires.  I've never understood the attraction of standing around a fire for no particular reason.  

Ditto, but it makes me unpopular with other members of the family. 

Paul   

:lol:

I thought getting old would take longer.

#4 craig333

craig333

Riley's Human

• Members
  • 8,022 posts
  • LocationSacramento

Posted 18 April 2021 - 03:38 AM

Campfires are a very social thing. Thats why I only have one in a group setting (most of the time). 

Craig K6JGV_________________________ 2004 2500 CTD 4X4 FWC HAWK 1960 CJ5

#5 AWG_Pics

AWG_Pics

Into the Great Empty

• Members
  • 1,197 posts
  • LocationOregon

Posted 18 April 2021 - 02:19 PM

Recently read that the fuel moisture content, essentially the amount of water in the native plants, is at an all-time low in California.

https://fortune.com/...san-jose-state/

If COVID continues to drive people into the great outdoors, this year could be a disaster in terms of wildfires.

Agree with no campfires.

Ditto, but it makes me unpopular with other members of the family. 

Paul   

:lol:

Yeah, I too am the no-fun guy regarding campfires. 

Seems like anyone that has suffered through the last 10 years in the western US would think twice about a campfire. We have not had one for more than a year. And that one, in June 2019, was up by the Canadian border at Lake Kintla, GNP, where it rained 4 out of every 5 days.

We find it is quite pleasant not to have to deal with smoked out eyes and smelly clothing. And who in their right mind would want to be the cause of some catastrophic fire, which we have had too many of lately?

Drought 13 April 2021.JPG

Edited by AWG_Pics, 18 April 2021 - 02:43 PM.

lived for several years each in Montana, Utah, Idaho, Texas, Washington, Oregon.

2019 Tundra, Hawk.

https://www.flickr.c...hotos/awg_pics/

#6 Mighty Dodge Ram

Mighty Dodge Ram

• Members
  • 1,003 posts
  • LocationClose to the edge...

Posted 18 April 2021 - 03:03 PM

I also support campfire bans...seasonal for some areas and year-round for others. Fire season has changed, and is still changing, here in the West. 

Edit: just saw on the news our first brushfire in San Bernardino NF yesterday. 🤦‍♂️

Edited by Mighty Dodge Ram, 18 April 2021 - 03:07 PM.

Richard
1996 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4, lightly lifted, ARB bumper/Warn winch, BFG AT/KO2, Snugtop shell. SOLD! But not forgotten!
2002 Chevy 2500HD XC LB 6.0L 4X4, Leer Hi-Rise shell, completely stock...for now!

#7 fish more

fish more

• Members
  • 796 posts
  • LocationSierra Foothills

Posted 18 April 2021 - 03:53 PM

My wife purchased a small propane fire pit, my thought is just another thing to bring !

#8 Smokecreek1

Smokecreek1

Smokecreek1

• Members
  • 2,763 posts
  • LocationNE Calif/NW Nev

Posted 18 April 2021 - 08:04 PM

I can live W/O a camp fire, but our snow pack here in the  high country of NW Great Basin/Modoc Plateau is even worse than you guys in the Sierras. I think somewhere in the 40% range-the Diamond Range to our south is almost bare of snow and it is only April!  Me thinks that my faithful potable charcoal grill will be banned everywhere including most campgrounds like it as was last year.  They are already posting red flag warnings due to unusually high temps, dry conditions and high winds for this time of the year. Things are going to close down real early this year. That said , I plan to be out of here later this week, but I'm not sure if I'm ready  to face all those campers I see driving down 395 and 44 every day-they got to be going somewhere where, hopefully where I'm not!

Smoke

Edited by Smokecreek1, 18 April 2021 - 10:23 PM.

Smokecreek1:99F1504x4with05Granby

#9 fuzzymarindave

fuzzymarindave

• Members
  • 255 posts
  • LocationMarin County, CA

Posted 18 April 2021 - 08:16 PM

I'm concerned that it will become an annual event where the national forests are closed to all public use when there is extreme fire hazard.

2015 Hawk, Silver Spur Interior, Fiberglass siding.  2008 F250 4x4 Supercab

#10 ski3pin

ski3pin

Belay On

• Site Team
  • 15,338 posts
  • LocationSierra Nevada Range

Posted 18 April 2021 - 11:13 PM

Seeing stars above is a whole lot better than cave man reading.

46% of normal snowpack here in the central Sierra, 23% of normal southern Sierra. Anyone see any coming problems?

2003 Ford Ranger FX4 Level II 2013 ATC Bobcat SE "And in the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years."- Abraham Lincoln  http://ski3pin.blogspot.com/

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users