#1 Keith in Co

Keith in Co

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 45 posts
  • LocationCanon City, CO

Posted 21 April 2021 - 03:03 AM

Modern truck campers use exterior cabinets for propane tanks, but many older campers did not. Carrying propane tanks inside RVs is now considered unsafe, if not illegal. My ‘66 Alaskan has a horizontal Manchester tank under each seat compartment, which I assume was the OEM design. These areas are not ventilated to the outside. While I check gas fittings for leaks, a propane leak may not trigger an LP detector, and since LP gas sinks, any tank leak could be catastrophic, especially as the heater is located just above the floor. 
I’m now thinking that I need to find a way to locate my LP supply outside my camper, or reconfigure a cabinet to vent into the truck bed. Solutions may also include a truck mounted tank, or roof mounting a tank. I could also hang a tank on the outside back wall as my catalytic heater doesn’t vent outside like the stock heater did. 
Your thoughts are most appreciated. 

#2 Wandering Sagebrush

Wandering Sagebrush

Free Range Human

• Site Team
  • 10,535 posts
  • LocationNortheast Oregon

Posted 21 April 2021 - 12:35 PM

Jeff, I’ve seen several Alaskans with external propane tanks on the back wall, so that’s a possibility.   Have you spoken with Bryan Wheat or Rick at Alaskan to get their recommendations?

I am haunted by waters

#3 Beach

Beach

• Members
  • 866 posts

Posted 21 April 2021 - 02:31 PM

I don't believe you'll be much better off venting to the truck bed. If there was a leak, gas could accumulate in the wheel well areas and under the camper, especially on a windless day/night. Back wall would be a better choice.

#4 enelson

enelson

• Members
  • 229 posts
  • LocationPrescott, Arizona

Posted 30 April 2021 - 11:05 PM

I had a 2016 with the propane locker on the rear of the camper.  My propone locker was leaking water that pooled in the lower left hand corner of the camper.  Rather than fix the leak, I installed an ASME tank from Manchester under the truck bed /w a remote fill.  I removed the propane locker and converted it to a cabinet.  The propane runs from the ASME tank to the camper via a rubber flex hose.  It takes some work, but in your case would be an improvement in safety and space.  ASME tanks are pretty expensive from Go Westy, but no regrets on the mod on my end.

Edited by enelson, 30 April 2021 - 11:06 PM.

#5 hugho

hugho

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts

Posted 17 August 2022 - 09:19 PM

Jeff, I’ve seen several Alaskans with external propane tanks on the back wall, so that’s a possibility.   Have you spoken with Bryan Wheat or Rick at Alaskan to get their recommendations?

On my 1986 the previous owner cantelevered a steel or aluminum  1x3"channel out from the back which supports  a 3x12 plank on which he sits his bigger 30 lb propane bottles. It is welded to a 3" extension to the floor which has 3" of foam sandwiched between two 1/2" ply skins. hell for stout. You can actually lift the whole back end of the alaskan with my fork lift.

#6 Dr.Science

Dr.Science

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 44 posts

Posted 30 August 2022 - 04:26 PM

Possibilities include mounting tank under truck bed (if you have space), mounting tank on roof (bad for aerodynamics and smaller tanks, like 2-3 gal, probably better), using the mini 2-lb Coleman tanks and refilling them yourself from a larger tank at home (can store them just about anywhere), or having an external hose connection and placing tank outside the rig when you're using it.

#7 milee

milee

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 03 September 2022 - 05:06 AM

IMG 46901FB752F2 1

My solution is a 5lb refillable tank in the bed wheel well space outside of the camper - if you have the space here

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users