Your Mileage May Vary

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 59 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 03 May 2021 - 12:22 PM

2019 FWC Hawk.jpg

There is something about some FWC interior cabinet designs that I'm not understanding. 

As demonstrated in the photo from inside a 2019 Hawk I've attached to help me explain, the bottom cabinet by the door extends to the door. I understand the reason for this. However, the rest of the cabinets are set back, what looks to be about 4 to 6 inches. What's the reason for this?

The available storage of these campers is limited, so I would think this available space could be better utilised. What am I missing?

Is it solely to make the interior less claustrophobic?

Thank you in advance.

Robert VE9CDN » 2023 Ford Ranger FX4 with ATC Bobcat

Goal is to travel overland as slowly as possible, as far as possible, as long as possible.

AdventureTrend.com

#2 Charlie

Charlie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 96 posts
  • LocationSugarloaf, Colorado

Posted 03 May 2021 - 01:06 PM

@YMMV, I can’t vouch for the design decisions, but I will say that the extra width in our Tundra mounted Hawk (front dinette like yours) makes it possible for my wife and myself to get around each other pretty easily. One can be cooking while the other does different things. We are smallish people. In a narrower Tacoma mounted camper, this wouldn’t be possible.

I find the little ledge on that storage compartment to be really useful to sit on, for tying shoes, etc. It’s also a great place to set stuff (like cocktails :)) that you want to take outside.

#3 kmcintyre

kmcintyre

• Members
  • 1,381 posts
  • LocationBoise, ID

Posted 03 May 2021 - 01:43 PM

I'm not sure about that particular design (could be a step to help with the roof?) but when I gutted my older Eagle, most design decisions were for a reason which I discovered when I was dismantling it.  It could have been a water tank, etc.  There are some things I did find that are "interesting".  The water tank is only accessible if you take the countertop off; now it's probably not going to have issues for a long time (mines 20 years old and no issues) but....

Boise, ID

2022 Chevy 3500 HD

2023 FWC Flatbed Hawk

#4 DesertDave

DesertDave

• Members
  • 289 posts
  • LocationDayton NV

Posted 03 May 2021 - 01:46 PM

My take on that lower cabinet extending out further is that in the front dinette models, one can choose between storage, a porta-pottie storage, or a cassette toilet.  Otherwise the cabinets would all be at the depth of the fridge.

2014 Grandby FD on a 2007 F350

#5 PaulT

PaulT

Need gumbo

• Members
  • 2,611 posts
  • LocationHillsboro, Oregon

Posted 03 May 2021 - 04:04 PM

DesertDave, you may be onto something.

I think they extended the bottom cabinet to accommodate the PortaPotti. I like the ledge as I sit there to pop up or down the roof. Makes it easier on my back.

Also, it’s a great spot to place coffee cups when getting in and out of the camper, freeing both hands. Hard to kick over your coffee there.

Paul

I thought getting old would take longer.

#6 Missing Link

Missing Link

• Members
  • 507 posts
  • LocationFoothills of the Southern Sierra

Posted 04 May 2021 - 03:17 PM

As Charlie and Paul T stated above, this may not be part of the design scheme but building it that way does make it easier for two people to pass one another, makes a good shelf to set things on while entering and exiting the camper and is a great place to sit when lifting the rear of the roof.  As for lifting the roof, I sit on the shelf, put the top of my head on the roof lifting board and slide my back up the cabinets.  Makes it super easy to get the roof up with almost no strain on your back (your legs do the work).  Word of warning:  take off your ball cap before doing this maneuver or the button on top of the hat will be driven into your skull  :D .

2017 F150 with 2017 Hawk

#7 Missing Link

Missing Link

• Members
  • 507 posts
  • LocationFoothills of the Southern Sierra

Posted 04 May 2021 - 03:25 PM

One additional benefit of that shelf . . . . . it's where we put our "pee jar" at night  :D .

2017 F150 with 2017 Hawk

#8 tailwalk

tailwalk

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 04 May 2021 - 05:44 PM

Has anyone added doors for the storage above the ice box/fridge (for quick access when the roof is down)?

Attached Thumbnails

• FWC cabinet.jpg

#9 Your Mileage May Vary

Your Mileage May Vary

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 59 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 04 May 2021 - 06:23 PM

Has anyone added doors for the storage above the ice box/fridge (for quick access when the roof is down)?

I've seen people replacing the top access with doors on the front. They found it a pain having to remove everything sitting on the top counter to access that storage area. And yea, I guess a side benefit would be access to that cupboard when the roof is down.

Goal is to travel overland as slowly as possible, as far as possible, as long as possible.

AdventureTrend.com

#10 Your Mileage May Vary

Your Mileage May Vary

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 59 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 04 May 2021 - 06:29 PM

Thanks for everyone's contribution. I'm still puzzled as to why it is designed this way, but I see the benefits of having the 'shelf' and the wider floor space to move about easier.

Stay Safe!

Santé

Robert

AdventureTrend.com

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users