• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 Regular Guy

Regular Guy

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

Posted 06 May 2021 - 10:56 PM

Newbie question.  I'd like to save the 40-50 lbs if I could.  

#2 MarkBC

MarkBC

The Weatherman

• Site Team
  • 6,600 posts
  • LocationBend, Oregon

Posted 06 May 2021 - 10:58 PM

I think most of us don't travel with jacks on. I never do -- no need, for me.

FWC Hawk (2005) on a Ford F250 Supercab, 6.8L V10 gas (2000)

#3 Casa Escarlata Robles Too

Casa Escarlata Robles Too

C'est la vie

• Site Team
  • 9,287 posts
  • Locationmonterey bay area

Posted 06 May 2021 - 11:12 PM

Don't have jacks on my camper but wouldn't travel with them.

I learned a good lesson .Back in 1981 we had a hard side camper with the jacks on.

We had stopped at Needles for food and a car backing out of a spot caught the left rear

jack and pulled it out of the camper. No great damage but I was at the start of our trip

and not much I could do with a tweaked jack had to wait to get home to do a good fix.

So if I had jacks would I travel with them,NO.

Frank

2002 Tundra AC TRD 4WD Limited 2009 ATC Bobcat loaded http://sharychic.blogspot.com/

#4 ski3pin

ski3pin

Belay On

• Site Team
  • 15,321 posts
  • LocationSierra Nevada Range

Posted 06 May 2021 - 11:13 PM

No

2003 Ford Ranger FX4 Level II 2013 ATC Bobcat SE "And in the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years."- Abraham Lincoln  http://ski3pin.blogspot.com/

#5 RONR

RONR

• Members
  • 110 posts
  • LocationMarin County, California

Posted 06 May 2021 - 11:14 PM

There are several threads from the past on this topic. This is good one from 2015:

https://www.wanderth...acks-on-or-off/

I remember it because in the beginnings of my FWC travels, I wondered the same as you. This thread made it clear so I have never traveled with the jacks. Too heavy and to likely to cause severe damage to the camper while on or off road. Perhaps I could conjure up the need to have them on, but it would be a rare occurrence to need them and the cost is outweighed by the little benefit.

Ron.

#6 Vic Harder

Vic Harder

Doctor Electric

• Site Team
  • 4,950 posts
  • LocationCalgary, Alberta

Posted 06 May 2021 - 11:17 PM

No!

#7 Lighthawk

Lighthawk

Weekend warrior

• Members
  • 3,319 posts
  • LocationNevada City, CA

Posted 07 May 2021 - 01:15 AM

They would be vulnerable to snagging, so absolutely not.

2021 RAM 3500 Crew 4x4, 6.4 hemi/8 speed trans with 4.10 gears, Timber Grove bags, Falken Wildpeak 35" tires.

OEV Aluma 6.75 flatbed, Bundutec Odyssey camper on order for 2024

For this year we're still using our 2008 FWC Hawk with victron DC-DC charger, 130w solar, MPPT controler

with 2000w inverter and external 120v output and 12v solar input with 100w portable solar.   http://lighthawkphoto.com

#8 michelle_east_county

michelle_east_county

Advanced Member

• Registered (Tapatalk)
  • PipPipPip
  • 97 posts

Posted 07 May 2021 - 01:17 AM

' haven't taken delivery of camper yet, but has anyone heard of someone needing truck repairs and the shop lacks lift capacity or clearance with a camper on and couldn't work on the truck until the camper was removed? I'd even thought of leaving jacks and hardware in boxes on rear floor of truck, but doubt it's worth it. One reason we bought a Ford truck is that more of their dealers can deal with motorhome chassis, trucks upfitted to ambulances or boxes, etc, so should be able to handle a camper.

And, if one isn't using camper jacks, is there a need to buy them if you didn't need the truck bed? If an RV repair place needed to remove a camper from a truck, would there be a hefty charge for them to temporarily install jacks?

Edited by michelle_east_county, 07 May 2021 - 01:21 AM.

#9 ntsqd

ntsqd

Custom User Title

• Members
  • 2,881 posts
  • LocationNorth So.CA

Posted 07 May 2021 - 01:30 AM

Old camper: No.

New camper: yes, but not because I want to. Being electric they don't come off nearly as easily so I leave them on. Have never used them anywhere but in our driveway.

Thom

Where does that road go?

#10 Beach

Beach

• Members
  • 866 posts

Posted 07 May 2021 - 02:01 AM

Nope

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users