• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#11 DanoT

DanoT

• Members
  • 278 posts
  • LocationSun Peaks, B.C.

Posted 07 May 2021 - 05:02 AM

' haven't taken delivery of camper yet, but has anyone heard of someone needing truck repairs and the shop lacks lift capacity or clearance with a camper on and couldn't work on the truck until the camper was removed? I'd even thought of leaving jacks and hardware in boxes on rear floor of truck, but doubt it's worth it. One reason we bought a Ford truck is that more of their dealers can deal with motorhome chassis, trucks upfitted to ambulances or boxes, etc, so should be able to handle a camper.

And, if one isn't using camper jacks, is there a need to buy them if you didn't need the truck bed? If an RV repair place needed to remove a camper from a truck, would there be a hefty charge for them to temporarily install jacks?

I always ask before booking a mechanical appointment, if the shop can lift my truck and camper; most can but some can't.

1991 Dodge CTD, owned since new. 2011 Coyote RV Phoenix pop-up camper, custom made for the Canadian winter.

#12 larryqp

larryqp

• Members
  • 299 posts
  • LocationFull-time RVer, anywhere USA

Posted 07 May 2021 - 12:57 PM

no

2016 F150, FX4, XLT super cab

2019 FWC Hawk Shell

2009 Ford Ranger 4x4, XLT, Supercab total loss on 7/30/19

2014 FWC Shell total loss on 7/30/19

Towed behind our home which is a 2005 Kountry Star Diesel Pusher

#13 Regular Guy

Regular Guy

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

Posted 07 May 2021 - 01:17 PM

Thanks all, that was a resounding answer, I'll leave my jacks at home!

Now to figure out what to do on the maiden voyage.  I wonder if I can purchase and take delivery of the camper without them.  I'll have a 3,000 mi return trip. Maybe I can buy them separately and have them delivered to the house.

#14 fuzzymarindave

fuzzymarindave

• Members
  • 254 posts
  • LocationMarin County, CA

Posted 07 May 2021 - 03:26 PM

Leave the jacks and the tailgate at home.

2015 Hawk, Silver Spur Interior, Fiberglass siding.  2008 F250 4x4 Supercab

#15 fuzzymarindave

fuzzymarindave

• Members
  • 254 posts
  • LocationMarin County, CA

Posted 07 May 2021 - 03:29 PM

Your maiden voyage might be a good exception for the jacks especially if you are careful and don't travel any rugged trails.  There is still a risk of snagging one of them on something.

2015 Hawk, Silver Spur Interior, Fiberglass siding.  2008 F250 4x4 Supercab

#16 rubberlegs

rubberlegs

curmudgeon

• Members
  • 560 posts
  • LocationEverett, WA

Posted 07 May 2021 - 04:25 PM

We don’t even own jacks. However, I made some using 4x4 posts and steel plates that have been used twice to check or adjust the camper position. Ours tends to shift to the left. Just shifted t back yesterday.

Tacoma/Fleet 2018.

#17 anthonym

anthonym

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
  • LocationSalt Lake City, UT

Posted 10 May 2021 - 08:55 PM

Now to figure out what to do on the maiden voyage.  I wonder if I can purchase and take delivery of the camper without them.  I'll have a 3,000 mi return trip. Maybe I can buy them separately and have them delivered to the house.

For our return trip, we took the tailgate off before going to get the camper and then took the jacks off and put them in the rear seat footwells. 

#18 57Pan

57Pan

• Members
  • 118 posts
  • LocationWashington

Posted 31 May 2021 - 02:03 PM

I take my jacks off after installing my camper each year for the season to save weight.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users