7 replies to this topic

#1 Pamid2805

Pamid2805

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 32 posts

Posted 08 May 2021 - 11:10 AM

I have searched for this on the site but mostly found posts from 4-5yrs ago. Hoping folks have some more recs now.

We will modify use Delorme style paper maps and Gaia or Google on the go. But I often read about cool ideas for a trip to X location. Wd like to gather these options to store. Then we can make decisions on the fly depending on weather or how we feel. In general, I don't want to overplan a trip but like to have fun options avail.

Wd like the ability to:
1) plan online on larger screen (ie laptop) then download offline on tablet or phone (android). We also have a Garmin in reach albeit with a smaller screen.
2) save several different day trip options from one base (fishing or hiking options)
2) save alternative routes with different stop options.
4) identify interesting locations with small notes for info

One that combines roads, trails, camping options wd be amazing but I know I will need a few different tools to cover that. And, of course, discovery and exploring is half of the fun!

Appreciate any input folks have to give.

#2 rubberlegs

rubberlegs

curmudgeon

• Members
  • 564 posts
  • LocationEverett, WA

Posted 08 May 2021 - 03:44 PM

Caltopo..

Tacoma/Fleet 2018.

#3 Lighthawk

Lighthawk

Weekend warrior

• Members
  • 3,319 posts
  • LocationNevada City, CA

Posted 08 May 2021 - 04:20 PM

Agree with CalTopo.
I've used backcountry navigator and earthmate, and find CalTopo to offer the most mapping features.

2021 RAM 3500 Crew 4x4, 6.4 hemi/8 speed trans with 4.10 gears, Timber Grove bags, Falken Wildpeak 35" tires.

OEV Aluma 6.75 flatbed, Bundutec Odyssey camper on order for 2024

For this year we're still using our 2008 FWC Hawk with victron DC-DC charger, 130w solar, MPPT controler

with 2000w inverter and external 120v output and 12v solar input with 100w portable solar.   http://lighthawkphoto.com

#4 Pamid2805

Pamid2805

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 32 posts

Posted 09 May 2021 - 12:10 PM

Caltopo looks great for backcountry info. I do not see a way to create driving routes with stops, etc. Or am I missing something?

#5 rando

rando

• Members
  • 1,638 posts
  • LocationColorado

Posted 09 May 2021 - 02:34 PM

Gaia can do this.   

For road based trips, you can plan a route on google maps then export it as a .gpx file which you can open on gaia or also export to your Garmin devices using basecamp using tools such as https://mapstogpx.com/

For hiking, creating routes in the web based Gaia interface on a laptop works pretty well.   They will then sync to your phone. 

2016 Fleet Flatbed

2016 Toyota Tacoma

#6 rubberlegs

rubberlegs

curmudgeon

• Members
  • 564 posts
  • LocationEverett, WA

Posted 09 May 2021 - 03:28 PM

Caltopo looks great for backcountry info. I do not see a way to create driving routes with stops, etc. Or am I missing something?

Try adding a “line” and there’s an option to have it follow roads or trails.

Tacoma/Fleet 2018.

#7 Pamid2805

Pamid2805

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 32 posts

Posted 09 May 2021 - 11:04 PM

Try adding a “line” and there’s an option to have it follow roads or trails.

Thx much. Will play with this. Just figured out how to do street routes on Gaia as well. So will play.

#8 Lighthawk

Lighthawk

Weekend warrior

• Members
  • 3,319 posts
  • LocationNevada City, CA

Posted 10 May 2021 - 07:05 PM

For road based trips, you can plan a route on google maps then export it as a .gpx file which you can open on gaia or also export to your Garmin devices using basecamp using tools such as https://mapstogpx.com/

That's pretty cool, Rando!   I just tried the conversion tool you posted and it works like a charm to quickly create a gpx file.  

The file imports into CalTop as markers for stops and a line showing your route.  You can even look at profiles of elevation gain/loss.

2021 RAM 3500 Crew 4x4, 6.4 hemi/8 speed trans with 4.10 gears, Timber Grove bags, Falken Wildpeak 35" tires.

OEV Aluma 6.75 flatbed, Bundutec Odyssey camper on order for 2024

For this year we're still using our 2008 FWC Hawk with victron DC-DC charger, 130w solar, MPPT controler

with 2000w inverter and external 120v output and 12v solar input with 100w portable solar.   http://lighthawkphoto.com

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users