21 replies to this topic

#1 smlobx

smlobx

Lost again

• Members
  • 1,529 posts
  • LocationNorth Carolina

Posted 08 May 2021 - 08:28 PM

Hi folks. As many of you know the reservations for camping on the wrt starting on September 10th opens on May 10th.

I thought the reservations opened up at midnight mountain time on that date but in reviewing the website it says reservations open up at 8 am mountain time.

Is that correct or has their been a change?

Thanks. We are hoping to go out there this fall.

Eddie
KO4CPL

Travel light. Travel far. Travel safe.

#2 fuzzymarindave

fuzzymarindave

• Members
  • 254 posts
  • LocationMarin County, CA

Posted 08 May 2021 - 09:09 PM

No matter what answer you get it may be good insurance to get on the website at 12:01 AM anyway just in case...

2015 Hawk, Silver Spur Interior, Fiberglass siding.  2008 F250 4x4 Supercab

#3 Wallowa

Wallowa

Double Ought

• Members
  • 2,173 posts
  • LocationNE Oregon

Posted 08 May 2021 - 09:24 PM

No matter what answer you get it may be good insurance to get on the website at 12:01 AM anyway just in case...

Last year I did just that...had all my info entered for each camp site and @ 12:01 MT I booked a site..we got all 5 campsite for our 6 day [3-1 to 3-6] stay [2 nights at White Crack] but I spent 6 nights in a row up at midnight and sweating out the bookings...well worth the effort!

Edited by Wallowa, 08 May 2021 - 09:26 PM.

#4 smlobx

smlobx

Lost again

• Members
  • 1,529 posts
  • LocationNorth Carolina

Posted 08 May 2021 - 10:20 PM

Thanks guys. Yes I think I’m setting my alarm for just before 2 am Eastern time...just in case. We have some flexibility in the dates but it would be nice to snag the dates we want.

Wallowa, besides White Crack which campsites did you like?

Eddie
KO4CPL

#5 JaSAn

JaSAn

Grumpy Old Man

• Members
  • 1,098 posts
  • LocationMinnesota

Posted 09 May 2021 - 02:37 AM

What is WRT?

Sköldpaddan, a 1977 FWC Grandby
Renovating Skoldpaddan
2012 Ram 2500 4X4
1951 Dodge Power Wagon

#6 LuckyDan

LuckyDan

• Members
  • 644 posts
  • LocationBased in Eastern, NOW CENTRAL Oregon

Posted 09 May 2021 - 03:59 AM

Weird Retrovision Trail.

I don’t know and am curious too. What is WRT?

Old, bum around in Ford and an even older FWC Grandby

New Mantra: "Everyday camping is just making up for lost time"

#7 Durango1

Durango1

• Members
  • 532 posts

Posted 09 May 2021 - 05:08 AM

White Rim Trail. Sioux and I spent five days on it in 2018. I've been going to Canyonlands for over 40 years and this was at every turn like... "WOW". We want to run it in reverse next time.

#8 smlobx

smlobx

Lost again

• Members
  • 1,529 posts
  • LocationNorth Carolina

Posted 09 May 2021 - 10:51 AM

What is WRT?

Sorry JaSAn. I should have spelled it out.

‘The White Rim Trail is one of the more epic off road trails in the entire National Park system IMHO. It is over 100 miles long and has some of the most stunning scenery in Canyonlands NP. Depending on your desired travel speed it can be driven in as little as one very long day or more commonly 2 to 4 days if you want to stop and soak in the scenery and do a little hiking. It usually requires a 4x4 vehicle as there are a couple of steeper sections but can be driven carefully with a regular hard sided truck camper although a pop up camper or other 4x4 would be better. We’ll be taking our Jeep Gladiator with a RTT as we want to do a few more difficult areas while we’re out there.

Because of this beauty and the requirement to stay in designated campsites Canyonlands have instituted a reservation system for the campsites that are quite competitive. That is the reason for my initial question.

Here is a report that has some great pictures to give you an idea of what it’s all about...

https://thetrekplann...-national-park/

Eddie
KO4CPL

#9 Foy

Foy

Resident Geologist

• Members
  • 1,294 posts
  • LocationRaleigh, NC

Posted 09 May 2021 - 11:08 AM

During the years in which I've been using the Recreation.gov online reservation for Federal campgrounds and other facilities, the phone lines and online access have opened daily at 10:00 am Eastern time, as adjusted for Daylight Savings time.  Yes, connecting ahead of time and keeping the pages refreshed is the way to do it. The more popular of the Montana sites we favor are exceptionally difficult to book, so much so that we've stopped trying for dates at them.

Foy

#10 Missing Link

Missing Link

• Members
  • 507 posts
  • LocationFoothills of the Southern Sierra

Posted 09 May 2021 - 04:02 PM

Thanks guys. Yes I think I’m setting my alarm for just before 2 am Eastern time...just in case. We have some flexibility in the dates but it would be nice to snag the dates we want.

Wallowa, besides White Crack which campsites did you like?

smlobx - Though you didn't ask me, Murphy's Hog Back . . . . spectacular views.

2017 F150 with 2017 Hawk

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users