#11 smlobx

smlobx

Lost again

• Members
  • 1,529 posts
  • LocationNorth Carolina

Posted 16 May 2021 - 02:41 PM

UPDATE:

Well I thought I’d provide some feedback on how our armchair adventure actually went. ... 

I set my alarm for 0145 Eastern time and got on the website. When 0200 rolled around ...nothing happened! So back to bed I went but like a kid getting ready for his first fishing trip I really didn’t sleep. I ended up logging on about 0950 Eastern time and started the waiting game again. I’m not sure if it was because I was on an iPad or what but I was not able to preload my choices so when 0800 MT rolled on the sites loaded and immediately they were all full for the dates we initially wanted which were 9/30 to 10/3. So I kept trying to adjust the dates and sites for something that would work and after about 5 minutes of bouncing back and forth we were able to get 2 campsites; Airport C on 10/4 and Hardscrabble B on 10/5.

I’m grateful that we were able to get these dates and am looking forward to exploring the area more!

Eddie
KO4CPL

Travel light. Travel far. Travel safe.

#12 fuzzymarindave

fuzzymarindave

• Members
  • 255 posts
  • LocationMarin County, CA

Posted 16 May 2021 - 04:42 PM

Well done.  I must have helped that your dates were after the peak season.  

2015 Hawk, Silver Spur Interior, Fiberglass siding.  2008 F250 4x4 Supercab

#13 SkyP

SkyP

• Members
  • 112 posts
  • LocationSouth Carolina

Posted 16 May 2021 - 04:59 PM

My grandson (13) and I did WRT last July.   We did not camp on it though-   were staying at Colorado National Monument about 2 hours away.

Made an online reservation to drive the trail-  only saw 4 other vehicles the entire day.   

Interesting fact was we were supposed to pick up our reservation at the visitor's center.   We got there about an hour before they opened!  

So we headed onto the trail hoping to explain my way out of any difficulties.

Never saw a NPS person of any sort the entire day on the trail...

That was a very long day- 2 hours to get there, 11 to do the trail in my 4Runner and 2 back to the campground.  I would love to do it again and camp- wasn't set up for it last year -we were camping in my Aliner, which of course trailers aren't allowed on the WRT- I think.    Would have been a PITA with the Aliner in any case.

This year we are heading west again in my 4wd F150 and new to me ATC Panther so who knows...might be able to swing an overnight if we get there.

20 F150 4x4 18 ATC Panther

96 F350 4x4  99 FWC Grandby Shell (sold)

15 Aliner Scout

18 Camplite 16TBS

#14 smlobx

smlobx

Lost again

• Members
  • 1,529 posts
  • LocationNorth Carolina

Posted 19 May 2021 - 11:10 PM

Well I went online today to make a reservation at the Dead Horse State park for the day before our arrival at the WRT and they are all booked...Looks like we will have a lot of company visiting the area ;-).

Any suggestions on where to camp nearby? Boondocking would be preferable if anyone knows of an area....

Eddie
KO4CPL

#15 Vic

Vic

• Members
  • 350 posts
  • Locationcamping somewhere in the Sierra Nevada range

Posted 20 May 2021 - 03:13 AM

Eddie - sounds like a great trip and looking forward to following your progress on this trip.  Hoping to replicate your WRT journey in a year or two!

-Vic

"I took the road less traveled.  Now I don't know where I am"

2014 Dodge Ram 3500 diesel & Hallmark Everest.  (Former Rig - 99 Ram 2500/ 2000 Sunlite Eagle pop-up)

#16 smlobx

smlobx

Lost again

• Members
  • 1,529 posts
  • LocationNorth Carolina

Posted 20 May 2021 - 01:13 PM

Eddie - sounds like a great trip and looking forward to following your progress on this trip.  Hoping to replicate your WRT journey in a year or two!

-Vic

Thanks Vic. We were suppose to spend a month or two exploring Newfoundland and Labrador but with the Covid situation still up in the air we decided to postpone it until next year. Hopefully by then things will calm down a bit and we can slow down and relax a little.

Eddie
KO4CPL

#17 flyoversea

flyoversea

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

Posted 26 May 2021 - 05:14 PM

Well I went online today to make a reservation at the Dead Horse State park for the day before our arrival at the WRT and they are all booked...Looks like we will have a lot of company visiting the area ;-).

Any suggestions on where to camp nearby? Boondocking would be preferable if anyone knows of an area....

There are a few other campgrounds , Horsethief and BLM along highway 313 outside of Canyonlads NP. also Willow Flat inside Canyonlands.  good luck and enjoy.

#18 ski3pin

ski3pin

Belay On

• Site Team
  • 15,338 posts
  • LocationSierra Nevada Range

Posted 06 June 2021 - 04:11 PM

For those of you unfamiliar with the White Rim Trail, here is a nice view of it along with a great way to experience the area.

2003 Ford Ranger FX4 Level II 2013 ATC Bobcat SE "And in the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years."- Abraham Lincoln  http://ski3pin.blogspot.com/

#19 PaulT

PaulT

Need gumbo

• Members
  • 2,612 posts
  • LocationHillsboro, Oregon

Posted 06 June 2021 - 05:34 PM

I'm confused about what you mean by a great way to experience the area:

1. On a mountain bike?

2. On a video of a couple of young guys experiencing the area on mountain bikes?

:D

Paul

I thought getting old would take longer.

#20 SkyP

SkyP

• Members
  • 112 posts
  • LocationSouth Carolina

Posted 06 June 2021 - 05:43 PM

Great way?  Yeah ok, I wouldn't last 5 miles on a bicycle!   Old and out of shape....

We did encounter quite a few bicycle riders on our loop of it last summer.   One group was teenage with a couple of dad's riding sweep in a pickup... :lol:

Edited by SkyP, 06 June 2021 - 05:43 PM.

20 F150 4x4 18 ATC Panther

96 F350 4x4  99 FWC Grandby Shell (sold)

15 Aliner Scout

18 Camplite 16TBS

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users