#1 EM4

EM4

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 78 posts
  • LocationLas Vegas, originally Vancouver BC

Posted 09 May 2021 - 03:50 PM

I have owned a 2007 Tundra which I purchased in that year. During that time I have hauled 3 different Travel Trailers and now have a Pop up  Camper permanently installed the weight being about 1500 lbs.

Problem I have are the rotors which warp very easily. After having gone through 3 sets over the years which set would be the best to install that won't warp, or will last longer. I have about 150000 miles on the truck.

#2 JHanson

JHanson

• Members
  • 486 posts
  • LocationTucson and Fairbanks

Posted 09 May 2021 - 04:03 PM

Are you absolutely sure the rotors are warping? About 90 percent of "warping" issues with brake discs actually involve glazing from overheated pads, which causes pulsing in the pedal that feels exactly like a warped disc. 

Beware of hyped "upgrade" kits that might not be so at all.  Please read this before you buy any aftermarket products. 

#3 ntsqd

ntsqd

Custom User Title

• Members
  • 2,879 posts
  • LocationNorth So.CA

Posted 09 May 2021 - 06:20 PM

Then there is a significant problem with cheap, chinese made brake rotors which do actually warp because the castings are so poorly made. For some vehicles it appears that those are all that is available anywhere. They are insidious, just because you bought what you thought was a batter rotor doesn't make it so.

For a Tundra I would buy Toyota OEM rotors from one of the Toyota Online Parts vendors. Buy Toyota brake pads while you're there.

Thom

Where does that road go?

#4 moveinon

moveinon

• Members
  • 156 posts
  • LocationMilwaukie Oregon

Posted 10 May 2021 - 12:16 AM

I suspect that, like my Tacoma the rotors do not actual warp but do build up unevenly on the rotor from the pads and give a definite feel that the rotors are warped.  Had the same problem and went to ARB slotted (not drilled) rotors and green pads on my Tacoma and after 30,000 miles no problem.  Easy to do yourself.  It also brakes a little but not significantly better than stock rotors and pads.  Green pads do wear a little faster than OEM but work better.

#5 EM4

EM4

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 78 posts

Posted 10 May 2021 - 01:15 AM

Are you absolutely sure the rotors are warping? About 90 percent of "warping" issues with brake discs actually involve glazing from overheated pads, which causes pulsing in the pedal that feels exactly like a warped disc. 

Beware of hyped "upgrade" kits that might not be so at all.  Please read this before you buy any aftermarket products. 

Thanks so much for that Info. Every time I have changed the Rotors I have changed  out the pads. I know this doesn't mean the pads are not at fault. I could just change out the pads without the rotor to test that issue but once everything is apart why not go all the way. I will give this some thought and take it from there. Thanks also for "This". I have always wonder about it and never tried others. Looks like it was a good move.

Cheers

#6 EM4

EM4

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 78 posts

Posted 10 May 2021 - 01:17 AM

Then there is a significant problem with cheap, chinese made brake rotors which do actually warp because the castings are so poorly made. For some vehicles it appears that those are all that is available anywhere. They are insidious, just because you bought what you thought was a batter rotor doesn't make it so.

For a Tundra I would buy Toyota OEM rotors from one of the Toyota Online Parts vendors. Buy Toyota brake pads while you're there.

Thanks for your input.....yes I am planning on that now.

#7 EM4

EM4

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 78 posts

Posted 10 May 2021 - 01:19 AM

I suspect that, like my Tacoma the rotors do not actual warp but do build up unevenly on the rotor from the pads and give a definite feel that the rotors are warped.  Had the same problem and went to ARB slotted (not drilled) rotors and green pads on my Tacoma and after 30,000 miles no problem.  Easy to do yourself.  It also brakes a little but not significantly better than stock rotors and pads.  Green pads do wear a little faster than OEM but work better.

Many thanks moveinon.....go for Green. Just love looking this stuff up. Must add that its the same work to do the whole thing maybe just the pads are worth trying out. Cheaper also.

#8 Taku

Taku

Buffalo Rockface

• Members
  • 752 posts

Posted 10 May 2021 - 02:42 AM

We have an 05 Tundra with an ATC Ocelot on full time - bought the truck with 80K on it, now have 187K (over eight years). Replaced the front rotors at 100K and they are still in good shape (OEM). Drive over Teton Pass fairly often so they get used. But I drive carefully and am not subject to city driving much. Maybe that is the difference if you drive in heavy traffic for the most part.

2005 Tundra  2013 Ocelot    "Ridiculously comfortable"

2021 Tundra 2022 Cougar Shell Built Out  "Even more ridiculously comfortable"

#9 Ronin

Ronin

• Members
  • 925 posts
  • LocationPNW

Posted 10 May 2021 - 04:29 AM

I had an 04 Tundra and ran the original brakes and rotors up 105,000 miles before replacing the pads and just had the rotors turned. The Hawk I had at the time was only on 25% of the time. My '15 Tundra had 36,000 miles on it and I never noticed any warping. I live in the Sierra foothills where most of the roads are twisty turny.

2019 Tundra 2019 Panther Shell

#10 Lighthawk

Lighthawk

Weekend warrior

• Members
  • 3,319 posts
  • LocationNevada City, CA

Posted 10 May 2021 - 04:45 AM

No warping issues with our 06 Tundra / Hawk combo, at 135k with ten years carrying the camper 75% of the time.

However, emergency stop capability has always been much slower than I want.

Edited by Lighthawk, 10 May 2021 - 04:47 AM.

2021 RAM 3500 Crew 4x4, 6.4 hemi/8 speed trans with 4.10 gears, Timber Grove bags, Falken Wildpeak 35" tires.

OEV Aluma 6.75 flatbed, Bundutec Odyssey camper on order for 2024

For this year we're still using our 2008 FWC Hawk with victron DC-DC charger, 130w solar, MPPT controler

with 2000w inverter and external 120v output and 12v solar input with 100w portable solar.   http://lighthawkphoto.com

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users