No replies to this topic

#1 Old Crow

Old Crow

Searching....

• Members
  • 1,059 posts
  • LocationSouth Central PA

Posted 11 May 2021 - 04:27 PM

(Location pinging = allowing someone to 'ping' your Inreach to see where you are)

(MapShare messaging = allowing someone to send an unsolicited text message to your Inreach)

This morning my YouTube account suggested a video on how to find the location of an Inreach device.  I thought the video itself was a bit confusing but that led me to this article by the same guy (it also contains his video)...

How to Find the Location of An Inreach Device

It's a pretty good article describing the things one needs to do in the Explore account to enable both location pinging and MapShare messaging.

Also-  I've always believed location pinging only worked if the person with the Inreach has it turned on and that Inreach has a view of the sky. But then I noticed this line in the article:

The location request feature will try for 5 days, so even if the user has their InReach powered off (say for an overnight stay), as soon as they turn it on, the location will update on MapShare for you.

That seems like an important point for anyone trying to find your location or send an important message to your Inreach if you don't keep it powered up all the time.

'01 FWC Hawk shell on a '13 Tundra Double-Cab  + '19 Ford Transit van with Quigley 4x4 option

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users