35 replies to this topic

#21 ski3pin

ski3pin

Belay On

• Site Team
  • 15,338 posts
  • LocationSierra Nevada Range

Posted 24 September 2021 - 05:04 PM

Here are two photos to clarify the issue that can get muddied in my narrative.

Batteries-Sep2021-032-copy.jpg

13.55V is right at what the BMS app indicates.

And at the battery terminals the voltage is 11.82V

Batteries-Sep2021-033-copy.jpg

It remains a puzzle. I will apply a load to the battery - as per Rando - and post the results.

2003 Ford Ranger FX4 Level II 2013 ATC Bobcat SE "And in the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years."- Abraham Lincoln  http://ski3pin.blogspot.com/

#22 ski3pin

ski3pin

Belay On

• Site Team
  • 15,338 posts

Posted 24 September 2021 - 06:50 PM

Here is a new piece of data. I connected Will Prowse's recommended capacity tester from aliexpress and got quite a surprise.

First off, for a bench mark confirmation the unit works I connected it to my old AGM battery. The voltage reads 12.7V

Batteries-Sep2021-034-copy.jpg

I connected it to the new DIY battery and the voltage reads 1.94V! I went back and confirmed with the multi meter across the terminals that the multi meter still reads 11.82 as it did earlier. Wow.

Batteries-Sep2021-035-copy.jpg

2003 Ford Ranger FX4 Level II 2013 ATC Bobcat SE "And in the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years."- Abraham Lincoln  http://ski3pin.blogspot.com/

#23 rando

rando

• Members
  • 1,638 posts
  • LocationColorado

Posted 24 September 2021 - 08:39 PM

It looks like that there is either something wrong with your BMS or the BMS settings, the actual batteries look to be fine.  What you are seeing is consistent with either the BMS being off or there being a fault with the BMS. 

The only thing that stands out to me is the setting 'switch function' appears to be off.   It is unclear to me whether this setting disables the 'switch function' or if it IS the 'switch function' and it is set to 'off'. 

2016 Fleet Flatbed

2016 Toyota Tacoma

#24 ski3pin

ski3pin

Belay On

• Site Team
  • 15,338 posts

Posted 24 September 2021 - 09:28 PM

The only thing that stands out to me is the setting 'switch function' appears to be off.   It is unclear to me whether this setting disables the 'switch function' or if it IS the 'switch function' and it is set to 'off'. 

I believe that switch in the app turns on or off the optional external switch that I do not have. I've tried it both ways and it makes no difference. I am moving closer and closer to the BMS being at fault.

#25 ski3pin

ski3pin

Belay On

• Site Team
  • 15,338 posts

Posted 26 September 2021 - 08:58 PM

I spend time this morning continuing to troubleshoot without success, but I did encounter a change. After unplugging the balance leads push connector and then reconnecting, the BMS app now has both the charging and discharge off and will not allowing turning them on. Under protection it now reads "locking". Here's a photo -

Batteries-Sep2021-036-copy.jpg

Here is the "before" photo.

Batteries-Sep2021-024-copy.jpg

#26 pvstoy

pvstoy

• Members
  • 2,771 posts
  • LocationCarson City, NV

Posted 26 September 2021 - 09:04 PM

Would you need to disconnect everything and reattach in proper order???

Patrick

2015 FWC Hawk Flatbed

#27 ski3pin

ski3pin

Belay On

• Site Team
  • 15,338 posts

Posted 26 September 2021 - 09:31 PM

Would you need to disconnect everything and reattach in proper order???

Although I've done that 2 or 3 times, I don't believe it's necessary as the only connection between the balance wires and the BMS is through that push connector.

#28 pvstoy

pvstoy

• Members
  • 2,771 posts

Posted 26 September 2021 - 10:56 PM

Ski i don't know how it is wired, but is the wire that is a push connection supply 13.6 volts?

Measure voltage before pushing it in and after you push it in can you use a sewing pin pushed into the wire and read voltage on either side of the push in connection.

Don't forget the ground wires.

If you can't determine if there is a bad wire or connector then like Rando says it might just be a problem with the BMS.

Patrick

2015 FWC Hawk Flatbed

#29 pvstoy

pvstoy

• Members
  • 2,771 posts

Posted 26 September 2021 - 10:57 PM

any feature in the BMS for a reset?

Patrick

2015 FWC Hawk Flatbed

#30 rando

rando

• Members
  • 1,638 posts
  • LocationColorado

Posted 27 September 2021 - 03:52 AM

If you have already removed power from the BMS a few times (reseting it) and that hasn't fixed the problem, it seems pretty likely that the BMS has an issue.   Before spending more time on this, does the BMS provider offer any tech support or a warranty?

2016 Fleet Flatbed

2016 Toyota Tacoma

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users