• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 JHanson

JHanson

• Members
  • 488 posts
  • LocationTucson and Fairbanks

Posted 20 May 2021 - 08:16 PM

Since the subject of NATO fuel cans has popped up here several times recently, I thought I would link to an article I just published. There are more and more Chinese-made copies of NATO cans appearing on the market, outwardly similar but not even close in quality to the European models. Often they're not even priced much below the real thing. Make sure you're getting the correct item.

The article is here

Fake NATO can:

51192804214_5fcd8a1873_c.jpg

#2 Wandering Sagebrush

Wandering Sagebrush

Free Range Human

• Site Team
  • 10,568 posts
  • LocationNortheast Oregon

Posted 20 May 2021 - 09:32 PM

Jonathan, thank you for the heads up.

I am haunted by waters

#3 smlobx

smlobx

Lost again

• Members
  • 1,529 posts
  • LocationNorth Carolina

Posted 21 May 2021 - 05:02 PM

On our last trip to Namibia we had to each carry an additional 6 Jerry cans of diesel fuel on our 79 series in order to cross the “Forbidden Zone” portion of the Namib desert.

On the first night camping in the desert I noticed a leak from one of the tanks so as soon as I was able to I transferred the diesel into the main tank. The rest of the tanks were unaffected for the duration of the expedition.

Upon returning to Bushlore where we rented the LC I told the guy what happened and he took the tank off the truck and immediately he pointed out the differences to the rest of the tanks...As you said, Chinese knock-offs. He threw it in the garbage.

Eddie
KO4CPL

Travel light. Travel far. Travel safe.

#4 Mighty Dodge Ram

Mighty Dodge Ram

• Members
  • 1,003 posts
  • LocationClose to the edge...

Posted 21 May 2021 - 05:06 PM

Nice write-up. I’m a fan of Wavian’s 10 liter cans, and so is my back. 

Richard
1996 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4, lightly lifted, ARB bumper/Warn winch, BFG AT/KO2, Snugtop shell. SOLD! But not forgotten!
2002 Chevy 2500HD XC LB 6.0L 4X4, Leer Hi-Rise shell, completely stock...for now!

#5 DarinH

DarinH

• Registered (Tapatalk)
  • 118 posts
  • Locationwestern Colorado

Posted 22 May 2021 - 10:31 PM

Thanks for posting that here, Jonathan. Very informative.

#6 DarinH

DarinH

• Registered (Tapatalk)
  • 118 posts
  • Locationwestern Colorado

Posted 23 May 2021 - 05:48 PM

Or as the original inventors would say about the NATO cans, "Du solltest dich in Acht nehmen vor Fälschung Wehrmacht-Einheitskanister."

vor allem die von den Chinesen gemacht

#7 Vic Harder

Vic Harder

Doctor Electric

• Site Team
  • 4,936 posts
  • LocationCalgary, Alberta

Posted 23 May 2021 - 07:14 PM

Translation = "Be cautious of fake army fluid cans" and "especially the Chinese made ones"  Never thought my German would come in handy on the WtW forums!   :D

#8 JHanson

JHanson

• Members
  • 488 posts

Posted 23 May 2021 - 10:05 PM

Or as the original inventors would say about the NATO cans, "Du solltest dich in Acht nehmen vor Fälschung Wehrmacht-Einheitskanister."

Awesome. I need to add that to the article!

#9 Foy

Foy

Resident Geologist

• Members
  • 1,295 posts
  • LocationRaleigh, NC

Posted 24 May 2021 - 10:49 AM

In the first years of WWII, the British Army method of shipping gasoline involved thin tinned steel cans cased in wooden boxes.  During transport the crates got loaded up with sand and fine gravel and the thin cans developed leaks. They were derisively called "flimsies".

As the war in North Africa raced back and forth along the coast time and again, the British began to capture large numbers of the German 20 liter fuel cans.  So superior were the German fuel cans the Brits began to copy them.  The British referred to them with reference to their German origins, Jerry cans, as the Germans were referred to as Jerries.

When the SAS transport morphed to overland insertion rather than parachute drops (the first few missions of which were inserted hundreds of miles behind enemy lines by the Long Range Desert Group in their highly modified 1-ton Chevy 2WD pickups), they adopted newly supplied US Jeeps festooned with jerrycans laid flat on the hood and in other orientations all over the vehicles.

Foy

#10 JHanson

JHanson

• Members
  • 488 posts

Posted 24 May 2021 - 02:15 PM

Here's a photo of a rare intact flimsy in use.

7802060504_1facf56374.jpg

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users