• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#11 Mthomas

Mthomas

• Members
  • 137 posts
  • LocationNorth Tahoe

Posted 24 May 2021 - 04:48 AM

I am quickly moving away from fires as well. It is a hard habit to break after 50 years of camping: sitting around that fire at night seems to reach back to some genetic/ancestral memories. However, I agree with the post above that it is just not worth the risk in dispersed sites these days, and probably not in most established sites either and frankly I am starting to tire of the smoke . I am betting that a lot of the west NP will be shut down to camping by the end of summer secondary to fires as they were last year. 

Ski, thanks for posting that Video, it will help the diehards. In Lassen a ranger told me they encouraged people to gather the deadfall to get rid of it, although I doubt it makes much of a dent in the risks for wildfire.

Edited by Mthomas, 24 May 2021 - 10:39 PM.

2018 Hawk FD 2016 Ram 2500 6.7 CTD

#12 PaulT

PaulT

Need gumbo

• Members
  • 2,612 posts
  • LocationHillsboro, Oregon

Posted 24 May 2021 - 05:12 AM

I’ve accepted that campfires are likely a thing of the past in the West. I will happily switch back to wearing wool jackets again. I had stopped wearing them because of smoke retention. My wife, however, won’t be so happy. To each his own.

Paul

I thought getting old would take longer.

#13 Wango

Wango

• Members
  • 311 posts
  • LocationOregon,Montana

Posted 24 May 2021 - 01:44 PM

I re-read my earlier post, i apologize for being blunt. Was not my intention to offend anyone.

Fires have just hit to close to home. Didn't mention the "small" one we had here in the fall that just about took out my MT place. Can't do much about lightning, but far too many are human caused.

And there are just so many more folks out and about these days. Can't blame them, we all started this lifestyle at some point in our lives, i just feel lucky that i was taught early how to behave outside. It's a process, i suppose.

Stay safe always.

w

... just average for a hill-billy...
2016 F350 cc, ATC Custom Flatbed

2022 AEV/Jeep JTRD

#14 teledork

teledork

Pinyon Jay

• Members
  • 577 posts
  • Locationeastern sierra

Posted 08 October 2021 - 07:24 PM

I re-read my earlier post, i apologize for being blunt. Was not my intention to offend anyone.

Fires have just hit to close to home. Didn't mention the "small" one we had here in the fall that just about took out my MT place. Can't do much about lightning, but far too many are human caused.

And there are just so many more folks out and about these days. Can't blame them, we all started this lifestyle at some point in our lives, i just feel lucky that i was taught early how to behave outside. It's a process, i suppose.

Stay safe always.

w

I don't think there is a need to apologize. I've been forced from my home by fire three times now. 

I've heard people complain: "What's camping without a campfire?" and/or "tell me how many wildfires are started by campfires" etc, ad nauseum. Most of them do not live on the edge of public lands. But the fact is that many fires are cause by runaway/abandoned campfires and just a single one is one too many. 

I agree. No fires. None. Nada. Zilch. File it under "this is why we can't have nice things". I have found and extinguished too many campfires in both wilderness and dispersed sites and too many people are ignorant and/or careless. If the rule is NONE there is no opportunity for some defiant and self entitled sociopath to claim some kind of exemption from the rules. Not that they won't try anyway. 

(then we need to make the common sense "suggestions" on a Red Flag Warning into law - don't get me started on "the National Forests are closed due to fire danger but there is no law against cutting brush and dragging as box grader through dry weeds on private property even when it is 95 degrees with 5% humidity and 35 mph winds" - I have neighbors who are imbeciles)

#15 craig333

craig333

Riley's Human

• Members
  • 8,022 posts
  • LocationSacramento

Posted 08 October 2021 - 07:50 PM

I also don't buy the "i didn't have any water to put it out". If thats the case why did you start it in the first place? One of the nice things about camping on the playa, no campfires.

Craig K6JGV_________________________ 2004 2500 CTD 4X4 FWC HAWK 1960 CJ5

#16 goinoregon

goinoregon

• Members
  • 519 posts
  • LocationPDX

Posted 08 October 2021 - 11:05 PM

in sept, i was in the northern wallowas, camping at a FS campground.  the FS had just allowed fires 2 wks prior, but had to be in existing fire rings.  i set up camp, and happened to look into firepit, and realized it was still warm/hot.  previous camper had just left, and not watered it down. sheesh. the lostine river was only about 15 yards away

Oregon

#17 teledork

teledork

Pinyon Jay

• Members
  • 577 posts
  • Locationeastern sierra

Posted 09 October 2021 - 10:29 PM

I also don't buy the "i didn't have any water to put it out". If thats the case why did you start it in the first place? One of the nice things about camping on the playa, no campfires.

according to the campfire permit you are supposed to have a permit, 5 gallons of water and a shovel BEFORE you build a fire

#18 teledork

teledork

Pinyon Jay

• Members
  • 577 posts
  • Locationeastern sierra

Posted 09 October 2021 - 10:41 PM

in sept, i was in the northern wallowas, camping at a FS campground.  the FS had just allowed fires 2 wks prior, but had to be in existing fire rings.  i set up camp, and happened to look into firepit, and realized it was still warm/hot.  previous camper had just left, and not watered it down. sheesh. the lostine river was only about 15 yards away

I have put out several smoldering campfires in wilderness areas that were 10 - 20 steps from water (supposed to be further from water too but that is another issue) They cave the fire ring rocks in on the flames and called it good, I guess. I mean - you have a pot you cooked in to carry water, right? (I carry a foldable water bucket that holds at least 5 gallons) 

Maybe we need to have random fire drills in urban areas (we already have plenty of evacs in rural areas) 15 - 30 minutes. You may be out of your home for days to weeks. Don't like it? Welcome to our world. Stop behaving like an entitled idiot when you visit.   

Edited by teledork, 09 October 2021 - 10:43 PM.

#19 ntsqd

ntsqd

Custom User Title

• Members
  • 2,881 posts
  • LocationNorth So.CA

Posted 10 October 2021 - 12:51 AM

I weaned myself off campfires about 30 years ago. Just didn't feel the hassle of being a responsible camp-firer was worth the trouble. I enjoy them, but I'll never start one unless I/we critically need the heat.

We have a washer tub for fires with big groups. Used it once at Jalama Beach. Have been around another one on several trips and it has been nice to have camping in some fairly extreme cold but I doubt that I'd have hauled it on those trips.

Two trips ago was my first trip where someone else brought a propane fire pit. It was OK, but boy did it consume the propane! I think three nights nearly used up a bbq tank.

Thom

Where does that road go?

#20 AWG_Pics

AWG_Pics

Into the Great Empty

• Members
  • 1,197 posts
  • LocationOregon

Posted 10 October 2021 - 01:15 AM

Just back from 3 weeks in southern Utah and eastern Nevada. No fires, no problems. Only ran into a couple of people that seemed to need a fire.

lived for several years each in Montana, Utah, Idaho, Texas, Washington, Oregon.

2019 Tundra, Hawk.

https://www.flickr.c...hotos/awg_pics/

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users