21 replies to this topic

#1 radman

radman

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
  • LocationMinnesota

Posted 22 May 2021 - 06:57 PM

After 3 years of research and stalking WTW I ordered this as my retirement self-gift in 2018:

2019 8' cabover Alaskan large single battery, solar panel, and shore station charging (all standard Alaskan).

2019 Chev diesel with dual alternators and duel batteries. I have put 25,000 miles on the truck and spent lots of nights in the camper and am very happy with my choice.  As I have gotten used to it over two years I am looking to improve a few things for my style of use.

My problem:

Hobbies and passions take me into the backcountry that can have a week of mid-teens F night time weather.  The furnace runs frequently as I need to keep the camper around 50 for my cpap machine.  After 2 nights I run low on battery power unless the sun is shining constantly.  Unfortunately that is not always the case.  When I drive during these outings the standard 7 plug connection does not charge the battery.  I need to spend the night with shore power to continue.  I always disconnect my 7way connection while camping so that I do not draw down my truck batteries.

What I've though of:

Install another battery, but I'll likely still run low as I can be out for a week straight.

Use a generator to recharge the battery or install an auxiliary cable from my truck to the camper battery.

Help needed:

Am I missing an alternative?

Where can I get correct information on how to install the auxiliary cable from my truck so I don't mess it up?

Thank you very much in advance for your thoughts and input.

Edited by radman, 22 May 2021 - 07:27 PM.

#2 ski3pin

ski3pin

Belay On

• Site Team
  • 15,315 posts
  • LocationSierra Nevada Range

Posted 22 May 2021 - 07:40 PM

Welcome to Wander the West and congrats on your new truck and Alaskan!

2003 Ford Ranger FX4 Level II 2013 ATC Bobcat SE "And in the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years."- Abraham Lincoln  http://ski3pin.blogspot.com/

#3 craig333

craig333

Riley's Human

• Members
  • 8,014 posts
  • LocationSacramento

Posted 22 May 2021 - 10:13 PM

How many amp hour of battery do you have now? How many watts of solar do you have? What kind of charge controller?

Craig K6JGV_________________________ 2004 2500 CTD 4X4 FWC HAWK 1960 CJ5

#4 radman

radman

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
  • LocationMinnesota

Posted 22 May 2021 - 11:19 PM

Hope this is the correct information, if not just let me know.

Zamp 170 Watt Solar panel/controller

Deka GRP 31 AGM Group 31 AGM  105AH @ 20H

IOTA 45 Amp Converter/Battery Charger

#5 JaSAn

JaSAn

Grumpy Old Man

• Members
  • 1,103 posts
  • LocationMinnesota

Posted 23 May 2021 - 03:03 AM

On days when i don't get enough sun I run a 1000W generator/35A battery charger in the AM for < hour and let the sun finish with absorption.  200W solar, 208AH FLA batteries.  Worked well so far.

I plan on adding a dc/dc charger later this year.

Sköldpaddan, a 1977 FWC Grandby
Renovating Skoldpaddan
2012 Ram 2500 4X4
1951 Dodge Power Wagon

#6 enelson

enelson

• Members
  • 229 posts
  • LocationPrescott, Arizona

Posted 23 May 2021 - 01:14 PM

After 3 years of research and stalking WTW I ordered this as my retirement self-gift in 2018:

2019 8' cabover Alaskan large single battery, solar panel, and shore station charging (all standard Alaskan).

2019 Chev diesel with dual alternators and duel batteries. I have put 25,000 miles on the truck and spent lots of nights in the camper and am very happy with my choice.  As I have gotten used to it over two years I am looking to improve a few things for my style of use.

My problem:

Hobbies and passions take me into the backcountry that can have a week of mid-teens F night time weather.  The furnace runs frequently as I need to keep the camper around 50 for my cpap machine.  After 2 nights I run low on battery power unless the sun is shining constantly.  Unfortunately that is not always the case.  When I drive during these outings the standard 7 plug connection does not charge the battery.  I need to spend the night with shore power to continue.  I always disconnect my 7way connection while camping so that I do not draw down my truck batteries.

What I've though of:

Install another battery, but I'll likely still run low as I can be out for a week straight.

Use a generator to recharge the battery or install an auxiliary cable from my truck to the camper battery.

Help needed:

Am I missing an alternative?

Where can I get correct information on how to install the auxiliary cable from my truck so I don't mess it up?

Thank you very much in advance for your thoughts and input.

The first thing to do is to connect the aux 12V from the 7-pin connector to the IOTA charger.  You will need to find it on your truck's 7-pin receptacle and then trace it into your camper.  The cable from your truck to your camper may or may not have the required wires.  If it is a custom cable, you can add a wire to the correct terminal.  Then you will need to run the wire up to the IOTA if its not already run.   

#7 Vic Harder

Vic Harder

Doctor Electric

• Site Team
  • 4,947 posts
  • LocationCalgary, Alberta

Posted 23 May 2021 - 07:32 PM

The first thing to do is to connect the aux 12V from the 7-pin connector to the IOTA charger.  You will need to find it on your truck's 7-pin receptacle and then trace it into your camper.  The cable from your truck to your camper may or may not have the required wires.  If it is a custom cable, you can add a wire to the correct terminal.  Then you will need to run the wire up to the IOTA if its not already run.   

Ummm, I'm not so sure.  The IOTA is an AC to DC charger.  The OP is trying to charge when AC is not available.

A DC-DC charger will improve the charging from you truck to camper.  

#8 enelson

enelson

• Members
  • 229 posts

Posted 23 May 2021 - 10:17 PM

Most of these chargers support a charge from the vehicle too.  The Progressive Dynamics models do for sure.  Not sure about the IOTA, I removed mine from the Alaskan right away and relocated the fuse panel on the lower part of the camper along with the solar charge controller.  

#9 enelson

enelson

• Members
  • 229 posts

Posted 23 May 2021 - 10:24 PM

Ummm, I'm not so sure.  The IOTA is an AC to DC charger.  The OP is trying to charge when AC is not available.

A DC-DC charger will improve the charging from you truck to camper.  

I guess you're right. I don't remember the IOTA model Alaskan specs, but I don't see the ability for DC charging on them.  His solar controller my have an input for a second solar string, but would work best with a DC to DC converter as you said.

#10 wcj

wcj

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 49 posts
  • LocationSW Montana

Posted 24 May 2021 - 03:07 AM

Not a charging solution, but install a wave catalytic heater to supplement the furnace. Furnace runs a fraction of the time, mostly to warm up when set up, wave has no battery drain. Works well for Montana nights so should help

2004 chevy duramax 73 cabover (sold to a friend) 70 NCO rebuilt 2004 cabover

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users