13 replies to this topic

#1 ski3pin

ski3pin

Belay On

• Site Team
  • 15,315 posts
  • LocationSierra Nevada Range

Posted 25 May 2021 - 02:19 PM

The eastern Sierra Nevada area of California is already under seasonal fire restrictions May 24, 2021 -

Inyo NF and BLM Fire Restrictions in Effect

• No Campfires, briquette barbeques, or stove fires are allowed outside of fire rings or fire pits at designated developed recreation sites. The list of designated campgrounds and recreation sites is available at visitor centers and is posted here for Inyo National Forest and available here for the BLM Bishop Field Office.

• Valid California Campfire Permits are Required (available free of charge at U.S. Forest Service visitor centers, BLM and CalFire offices, or  online at www.readyforwildfire.org/permits/campfire-permit/ and are not exempt from the prohibitions, but are allowed to use portable stoves or lanterns using gas, jellied petroleum, or pressurized liquid fuel.

• No Fireworks. It is prohibited to possess or discharge any fireworks, including “safe and sane”  fireworks.

• No Smoking, except within an enclosed vehicle or building, a developed recreation site, or while stopped in an area at least three feet in diameter that is barren or cleared of all flammable material.
  • No tools powered by internal combustion engines off designated roads or trails (such as chainsaws or lawn mowers).

• No motorized vehicles off designated roads or trails.

• No welding or operating acetylene or other torch with open flame.

2003 Ford Ranger FX4 Level II 2013 ATC Bobcat SE "And in the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years."- Abraham Lincoln  http://ski3pin.blogspot.com/

#2 Mighty Dodge Ram

Mighty Dodge Ram

• Members
  • 1,003 posts
  • LocationClose to the edge...

Posted 25 May 2021 - 02:40 PM

Thanks for the reminder to go online and get a current permit! It's so easy there's no excuse not to do so.

Richard
1996 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4, lightly lifted, ARB bumper/Warn winch, BFG AT/KO2, Snugtop shell. SOLD! But not forgotten!
2002 Chevy 2500HD XC LB 6.0L 4X4, Leer Hi-Rise shell, completely stock...for now!

#3 JaSAn

JaSAn

Grumpy Old Man

• Members
  • 1,101 posts
  • LocationMinnesota

Posted 25 May 2021 - 02:57 PM

. . .

No motorized vehicles off designated roads or trails . . .

I take that to mean no driving on unmarked trails and two tracks?

I'm confused as to what that means for boon docking/dispersed camping.  I've been told by rangers that I should not park on any signed (numbered) road as it is a right-of-way (emergency vehicle access).

Sköldpaddan, a 1977 FWC Grandby
Renovating Skoldpaddan
2012 Ram 2500 4X4
1951 Dodge Power Wagon

#4 ski3pin

ski3pin

Belay On

• Site Team
  • 15,315 posts

Posted 25 May 2021 - 03:32 PM

I'm confused as to what that means for boon docking/dispersed camping.  I've been told by rangers that I should not park on any signed (numbered) road as it is a right-of-way (emergency vehicle access).

Since this order is in effect on the Inyo National Forest, it would refer to roads/routes not designated on the Forest's Motor Vehicle Use Map

I agree it's a bit confusing because driving on a non-designated route is never allowed and is no different when fire restrictions are in effect. Perhaps it was added here as a reinforcement to stay on designated roads.

2003 Ford Ranger FX4 Level II 2013 ATC Bobcat SE "And in the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years."- Abraham Lincoln  http://ski3pin.blogspot.com/

#5 craig333

craig333

Riley's Human

• Members
  • 8,014 posts
  • LocationSacramento

Posted 25 May 2021 - 05:31 PM

I can't ever remember fire restrictions coming this early. Another reason to have a stove inside. 

Craig K6JGV_________________________ 2004 2500 CTD 4X4 FWC HAWK 1960 CJ5

#6 rando

rando

• Members
  • 1,638 posts
  • LocationColorado

Posted 25 May 2021 - 06:01 PM

Driving on unmarked/non-numbered/non-designated trails is almost universally illegal on most federal lands.   

However on roads/areas open to dispersed camping (check the MVUM) you are allowed to pull one vehicle length or 300' from the centerline of the road (depending on area) to camp.    However, you should do this in established spurs/campsites where possible.   It is a bit confusing as while MVUMs are supposed to be standardized, they differ by region.  For Arapahoe NF in Colorado roads that allow dispersed camping are shown with dots along the road and the rule is 300' from the center line.   For example:

https://www.fs.usda....prdb5339604.pdf

edit: Looks like Ski already explained this....  oops.

Edited by rando, 25 May 2021 - 06:02 PM.

2016 Fleet Flatbed

2016 Toyota Tacoma

#7 Casa Escarlata Robles Too

Casa Escarlata Robles Too

C'est la vie

• Site Team
  • 9,282 posts
  • Locationmonterey bay area

Posted 25 May 2021 - 06:17 PM

Very glad for the early start to restrictions.

Just be safe out there.We can still have fun even with restrictions.

Thanks for posting.

Frank

2002 Tundra AC TRD 4WD Limited 2009 ATC Bobcat loaded http://sharychic.blogspot.com/

#8 ski3pin

ski3pin

Belay On

• Site Team
  • 15,315 posts

Posted 25 May 2021 - 07:21 PM

In regards to dispersed camping on the Inyo National Forest, here is the Forest's webpage on dispersed camping -

Inyo NF Dispersed Camping

Here is the section on locating a campsite -

Locating a Dispersed Campsite: Look for an area at the end of a spur road or a pullout that is clear of vegetation and has a hard, compacted surface. These sites might have a primitive fire ring. Stay on established roadways; do not drive off-road to camp. Try to select a campsite at least 100 feet from lakes and streams.

From our experience using our truck with popup camper, we use an area that is evident it has been used before. I believe the intent of the language is you do not drive cross country and create a new place to camp with a vehicle. Keep your vehicle right along a designated road.

#9 Casa Escarlata Robles Too

Casa Escarlata Robles Too

C'est la vie

• Site Team
  • 9,282 posts
  • Locationmonterey bay area

Posted 25 May 2021 - 07:26 PM

These rule are really livable IMO.

But I am sure there are people who

will ignore what ever commonsense

rules there are.

Frank

2002 Tundra AC TRD 4WD Limited 2009 ATC Bobcat loaded http://sharychic.blogspot.com/

#10 AWG_Pics

AWG_Pics

Into the Great Empty

• Members
  • 1,192 posts
  • LocationOregon

Posted 25 May 2021 - 09:08 PM

And so the summer of 2021 starts. Drought is quite severe accross most of the west. Maybe the new normal.

lived for several years each in Montana, Utah, Idaho, Texas, Washington, Oregon.

2019 Tundra, Hawk.

https://www.flickr.c...hotos/awg_pics/

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users