Rear brake light

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 BlueSky

BlueSky

• Members
  • 159 posts

Posted 28 May 2021 - 02:13 PM

I'm a little paranoid about someone slamming into the rear of my truck/camper.  Anyone find a decent rear brake light (LED) that does not look like you-know-what and plugs into the trailer wiring receptacle? I did a search and didn't find anything.  Thanks!

#2 Edgewood

Edgewood

• Members
  • 206 posts
  • LocationBellingham WA

Posted 28 May 2021 - 02:57 PM

I have a LED strip that runs above the rear door. It also functions as a turn signal. Nice to have anytime but especially when bikes have a cover on the rear rack. The bike cover obscured the tail lights. Someone on here recommended the site but I don't remember the name of it. 

#3 SkyP

SkyP

• Members
  • 112 posts
  • LocationSouth Carolina

Posted 28 May 2021 - 04:41 PM

The problem is most "trailer wiring receptacles" have no way to properly operate a third brake light.  

On my 20 F150 I had to wire from the back, with a separate connecion all the way to a wire under the hood that is a "brake light" activation circuit.  

I originally did this for my RSi Smart Cap shell as it comes with a nice LED third brakelight already mounted.

BTW RSi has been unable figure out an easy means to connect it to existing wiring for turn signals etc.  They've sent out multiple harnesses that don't work right.  

On my ATC I just finished mounting a rear view camera at the top of the lower box, just above the door, but not on the roof portion.   

That kind of leaves me with no good spot for a third brakelight.  If I mount it right under the camera it probably will blind the camera at night.   Don't want it on the raisable top as wiring would be a PITA.

My ATC came with side amber and red markers.  It also had 2 red rear LEDs I assumed were markers but they are actually tied to the turn signals- so they sort of work as brake lights. 

They don't appear to be very bright though. 

The ATC has a traditional 4 wire trailer pigtail to plug in-  but unfortunately it won't work for me since Ford saw fit to mount the receptacle in the bumper step well-  guaranteeing it will get stepped on and broken at some point.

Edited by SkyP, 28 May 2021 - 04:43 PM.

20 F150 4x4 18 ATC Panther

96 F350 4x4  99 FWC Grandby Shell (sold)

15 Aliner Scout

18 Camplite 16TBS

#4 JaSAn

JaSAn

Grumpy Old Man

• Members
  • 1,103 posts
  • LocationMinnesota

Posted 29 May 2021 - 02:39 PM

All American vehicles that I am aware of split the rear tail light circuits in front, so there is no easy way to split the brake activation from turn signal in the back.

The solutions are:

- resign yourself to the 3rd brake light flashing with one turn signal.

- add two lights (turn + brake) to the camper.

- add two lights to a bike rack.

- wire back from the brake activation circuit at the firewall.

Dodge also puts the 4/7 pin connector in the step well.  My only suggestion is to build some kind of protector for the plug if that is a concern.

Sköldpaddan, a 1977 FWC Grandby
Renovating Skoldpaddan
2012 Ram 2500 4X4
1951 Dodge Power Wagon

#5 ntsqd

ntsqd

Custom User Title

• Members
  • 2,881 posts
  • LocationNorth So.CA

Posted 29 May 2021 - 03:14 PM

I've always assumed that there was a small electronics board in the CHMSL that operated the light based on brake light inputs. In later trucks it's probably an output function of a CAN-BUS module.

I've never really thought about it, could possibly use some relay logic to get it working right. Maybe in conjunction with some strategically placed diodes and/or capacitors.

As for the light itself, I bought one of these to be a rear facing red fog light: https://www.amazon.c...duct/B08RLQ4L62 Light output is reportedly reduced to 70% when set for constant output, but based on seeing two of these in amber being used as rear facing flashing dust lights two weekends ago on the Mojave Road I don't think "only" 70% is a concern. Easy to see them in midday daylight, thru a dust cloud at more than a mile away. They were more than bright at that distance. Setting it to be constant on is simple, or could choose one of the 17 different flashing modes if desired. I'm impressed by the die cast housing, it is not plastic.

I'd move the trailer light socket out of the bumper to some place more protected.

Edited by ntsqd, 29 May 2021 - 03:16 PM.

Thom

Where does that road go?

#6 Taku

Taku

Buffalo Rockface

• Members
  • 757 posts

Posted 29 May 2021 - 06:07 PM

Same with the bikes covering the 05 Tundra tailights. I got two trailer lights, make a wiring harness that goes in the trailer receptacle and mount the turn/brake lights to the jack brackets. Probably cost about $40 and works fine. I used two trailer (four flat) plugs to make it easy to mount and dismount.

2005 Tundra  2013 Ocelot    "Ridiculously comfortable"

2021 Tundra 2022 Cougar Shell Built Out  "Even more ridiculously comfortable"

#7 Casa Escarlata Robles Too

Casa Escarlata Robles Too

C'est la vie

• Site Team
  • 9,285 posts
  • Locationmonterey bay area

Posted 29 May 2021 - 06:16 PM

My 02 Tundra ,like most other trucks has the "extra" break light

on the center rear of the cab.

Can you run a wire to a new light on the rear of the camper?

Since the one on the truck is a break light that seems like it would work.

Frank

2002 Tundra AC TRD 4WD Limited 2009 ATC Bobcat loaded http://sharychic.blogspot.com/

#8 buckland

buckland

• Members
  • 3,078 posts
  • LocationNew England

Posted 29 May 2021 - 10:17 PM

I hooked up a LED brake light above the camper door with the wire running down left door jamb and plugs into my trailer (2 wires only) hitch plug. It works fine. I have a Chevy.

2016 Duramax 2.8 Diesel long bed Colorado 4WD with 2011 Eagle

Lordwoodcraft  instagram        Rob
The only people who ever get anyplace interesting are the people who get lost.
Henry David Thoreau
"Work to achieve not to acquire"

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users