Photo

Wind deflectors and Aero mods for fuel economy.

• Please log in to reply
52 replies to this topic

#11 pvstoy

pvstoy

• Members
  • 2,760 posts
  • LocationCarson City, NV

Posted 25 June 2021 - 11:41 PM

We are allready paying a price for fuel to push these aerodynamic bricks through the air. What I want to make a faring for is to reduce the wind noise into the cab. If it gives a slight return in fuel savings, great. At some point it may pay for the faring.

Patrick

2015 FWC Hawk Flatbed

#12 Lighthawk

Lighthawk

Weekend warrior

• Members
  • 3,319 posts
  • LocationNevada City, CA

Posted 26 June 2021 - 05:19 AM

I'm contemplating whether I want to move my Yakima fairing to the new RAM pickup.   I've only done 90 miles both ways to Reno with the camper/truck combo.  It rides nicely and there's plenty of power when I want it.  

So far, I don't notice much noise, but it's a much better insulated truck than my 15 year old Tundra.  Most importantly, these newer, taller cabs close the gap between the Hawk and the truck. 

The first gen Tundra had cavitation issues around 50 mpg until I mounted a Yakima fairing. 

_MG_7796-XL.jpg

Edited by Lighthawk, 26 June 2021 - 05:30 AM.

2021 RAM 3500 Crew 4x4, 6.4 hemi/8 speed trans with 4.10 gears, Timber Grove bags, Falken Wildpeak 35" tires.

OEV Aluma 6.75 flatbed, Bundutec Odyssey camper on order for 2024

For this year we're still using our 2008 FWC Hawk with victron DC-DC charger, 130w solar, MPPT controler

with 2000w inverter and external 120v output and 12v solar input with 100w portable solar.   http://lighthawkphoto.com

#13 BrianG

BrianG

• Members
  • 196 posts
  • LocationNorthern Nevada

Posted 26 June 2021 - 05:31 AM

I also use the Yakima deflector, it works great. As mentioned no fuel savings, but cuts down wind noise and deflects bugs. 
Brian

Edited by BrianG, 26 June 2021 - 05:36 AM.

2018 Ram 3500 Mega Cab 4x4 Diesel, 2015 Hawk Silver Spur Exterior, Front Dinette

#14 jimjxsn

jimjxsn

• Members
  • 598 posts
  • LocationRoxborough Park or Buena Vista CO

Posted 01 July 2021 - 04:37 PM

My Deflector Odyssey 

I have an ATC Panther on my Tundra which has quite a bit of space between the cab and camper overhang.  I experienced quite a bit of wind buffeting at highway speeds from the wind hitting the flat front wall of the camper behind the truck cab.  Many bugs gave up their lives in this area as well.  Why not get a wind deflector...

My online search turned up the Aeroplus Wind Deflector which was marketed by PurplelineUSA.

It's looked to be pretty heavy duty being about 1/4" thick plastic.  It is large enough to cover the cab top gap and protect the front of the camper over hang.

I rounded up a Thule rack to fit the Tundra and mounted the Aeroplus to it.

20210526_161058-L.jpg

Note the two indentations on the fairing.  These are the super heavy duty mounting points.

20210423_142750-S.jpg20210423_142815-S.jpg

First trip, we went to Moab from Denver and the wind noise was greatly improved.  However, when in a cross wind or in a semi truck back wash, the ends of the deflector would flex and hit against the rack.

So, I fabricated some large bump stops on the rack (made from rubber hockey pucks) to eliminate the flex.  This quieted down the noise and worked for a couple of weeks.

While heading south on I25 to Colorado Springs I experienced some huge microbursts from the side and the deflector started rattling whenever I drove over 65 mph.  When I got home I found that the Aeroplus had cracked at both mounting points.

20210610_120804-S.jpg20210610_120811-S.jpg

I wrote an email to the US distributor, purplelineusa, including my experience and photos but got no response...

My conclusion is that two mounting points, regardless of how strong the deflector is, is not enough.

I'm back to the old Yakima fairing modified to fit the Thule bars.  

20210701_093908-L.jpg

It's a little small as it was left over from a prior vehicle.  But it does cut down on the wind noise although, I'm back to cleaning bugs off of the front of the overhang.

YMMV

~Jim
2000 Tundra AC- 2000 FWC Ranger

2017 Tundra DC - 2017 ATC Panther

#15 Vic Harder

Vic Harder

Doctor Electric

• Site Team
  • 4,898 posts
  • LocationCalgary, Alberta

Posted 01 July 2021 - 10:33 PM

I had a fairing on my previous camper, made the brackets myself out of 1" steel tubing based on other's designs here.  It was attached to the camper, not the truck.  Worked well in terms of reducing but splatter and wind noise.  No MPG diff that I could see.

#16 RHarries

RHarries

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 31 posts
  • LocationDurango, CO

Posted 17 January 2022 - 03:44 AM

I saw a 3rd gen Tundra rig in Baja this winter that had mounted traction boards on top of the cab at an angle to act as a deflector.  I thought it was ingenious! and am curious how they were affixed.  Unfortunately he was travelling the opposite direction, and I didn't have time to chase him town!

I am interested in any thoughts or ideas on how to achieve this.

'15 Tundra Double cab with '09 Hawk side couch

#17 BlueSky

BlueSky

• Members
  • 159 posts

Posted 23 January 2022 - 04:18 PM

Wouldn't be very hard to do. A couple of long square steel tubes bent at an angle. You would have to bolt them through the bottom of the bed area. Or, mount them to a Yakima/Thule rack with some kind of bracket. Kills two birds with one stone, good idea.

#18 ltb46r

ltb46r

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • LocationUpstate NY

Posted 21 May 2022 - 10:48 PM

There's a guy on youtube, Slim Potato Head and he mounted a snowboard on his Jeep.  Here's the vid:

#19 BlueSky

BlueSky

• Members
  • 159 posts

Posted 21 May 2022 - 11:42 PM

I wonder if a wind deflector at the back of the camper would help. Deflect air flow down to the back surface of the camper to reduce the pressure drop back there.  The back side of our campers has an awfully large surface area. Some semi-trucks have fold out panels that basically do the same thing.

#20 BrianG

BrianG

• Members
  • 196 posts
  • LocationNorthern Nevada

Posted 22 May 2022 - 04:39 PM

I use the standard Yakima deflector also, works great. 

2018 Ram 3500 Mega Cab 4x4 Diesel, 2015 Hawk Silver Spur Exterior, Front Dinette

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users