Photo

Wind deflectors and Aero mods for fuel economy.

• Please log in to reply
52 replies to this topic

#21 JeffWright

JeffWright

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 34 posts

Posted 04 June 2022 - 03:13 PM

I was debating trying to find a solar panel to use as a deflector. The 100 watt Renogy survived a rollover accident and still works so I can’t imagine why it wouldn’t work as a deflector.

#22 ckent323

ckent323

• Members
  • 1,227 posts
  • LocationSolvang, CA

Posted 04 June 2022 - 05:35 PM

The bugs that splat and collect on it will effectively shade the cells cutting down on its power output.

A small amount of shade over a panel can seriously degrade its power production.

The other challenge will be to keep it from flexing in the high wind environment and eventually cracking the cells.  If you do this I recommend mounting it to a stiff piece of metal plate or equivalent that will preclude flexing.

If you do this please post pictures and give us an update how it is holding up after it has been in use awhile.  It is always helpful to read about the results of new ideas that are implemented.  Critics are often proven wrong.  ;-)

Edited by ckent323, 04 June 2022 - 05:37 PM.

1993 Dodge Cummins W-250 Club Cab long bed, 2007 FWC Keystone

#23 JeffWright

JeffWright

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 34 posts

Posted 04 June 2022 - 09:55 PM

Good advice!! I’m not super worried about the bug splatters. I think it will be much easier to clean than the one on my roof. And I’d imagine I’ll just clean it when I clean my windshield at the gas station. I think it will be easier to keep the snow off of it in the winter and I suppose I can angle the rig south and pick up a little more sun when it’s low on the horizon in the winter. I’ll keep you guys posted!

#24 ntsqd

ntsqd

Custom User Title

• Members
  • 2,881 posts
  • LocationNorth So.CA

Posted 05 June 2022 - 03:16 AM

I wonder if a wind deflector at the back of the camper would help. Deflect air flow down to the back surface of the camper to reduce the pressure drop back there.  The back side of our campers has an awfully large surface area. Some semi-trucks have fold out panels that basically do the same thing.

This is an often over-looked very large factor.

Think about the typical shape of a falling water drop. Water droplets can assume any shape that you can conceive of, but that is their actual shape when free-falling. Why is that? Aerodynamic drag "pulls" that tapered "tail" out from the main body of the droplet.

The flat rear of a camper is very much not an aerodynamic shape.

I had a 1966 Econoline long body van a number of years ago. 300 cubic inch straight 6 engine. Gobs of torque, super smooth to drive, got 10 mpg. It got 10 pulling the Grapevine at 80 mph, it got 10 coasting ~40 mph down CA33 into Ojai, it just got 10 mpg. UNLESS I was flat towing my fiberglass dune buggy behind it. Then it got 11 mpg doing any and all of those things. As "ugly" aerodynamically as the dune buggy was, that very thing filled that vacuum behind the very flat rear of the van and made the combo more aerodynamic. The buggy became the "tail" of the water droplet.

Edited by ntsqd, 05 June 2022 - 03:17 AM.

Thom

Where does that road go?

#25 Machinebuilder

Machinebuilder

• Members
  • 481 posts
  • LocationEast Tennessee

Posted 05 June 2022 - 11:50 AM

I have just learned about a product that looks very interesting.  I may give it a try If I can figure out where to buy it.

https://seeiiairfoils.com/

I am as interested in the ability to keep the back of the camper cleaner, any Fuel economy would just be an additional benefit.

2021 F350 SCLB

FWC Grandby,

EBY Big Country Flatbed, Buckstop Outback front Bumper

Gabby (GSP), Sox (GSP/American Bulldog)

2011 F150 SCLB HDPP

#26 BlueSky

BlueSky

• Members
  • 159 posts

Posted 06 June 2022 - 12:28 PM

Found this, Airtabs... https://www.airtab.c...lication-rv.htm

I think I will give them a try.  Not terribly expensive, and I can probably use VHB tape to try them out.

#27 Bosque Bill

Bosque Bill

• Members
  • 743 posts
  • LocationAlbuquerque, NM

Posted 06 June 2022 - 12:47 PM

Found this, Airtabs... https://www.airtab.c...lication-rv.htm

I think I will give them a try.  Not terribly expensive, and I can probably use VHB tape to try them out.

Hmmm. Seems counter-intuitive when aircraft engineers go to great lengths to minimize vortexes with wingtip airfoils, etc. to improve efficiency. Admittedly a wing is slightly different from the square boxes we push down the road.

Please keep is posted on your results.

"I'm not an expert; I'm an enthusiast!" - New Mexico, U.S.A - The Land of Enchantment

http://bosquebill.blogspot.com My Travel Blog

http://www.bosquebill.com My New Mexico Website

2013 Toyota Tacoma Access Cab SR5 V6 4x4 - 2013 FWC Fleet

#28 ckent323

ckent323

• Members
  • 1,227 posts
  • LocationSolvang, CA

Posted 06 June 2022 - 07:02 PM

I flew on a large specially modified aircraft (say no more) that had a sliding door in the side that opened in flight (at altitude) to allow a large optical system onboard to look out of it.  The leading edge of the door has a raised wing like structure with numerous holes in it to create a smooth (laminar) flow across the open port.  It worked.  It was a perforated air foil.

The multi blade airfoils (look a bit like a louvered window shade) also can work.

I have also seen dimpled air foils used on the trailing edges of big trucks to break up the low pressure area created behind the big box of the truck.

The perforated airfoil was similar to this image although the holes extended the entire length

2-Figure1-1.png

#29 ntsqd

ntsqd

Custom User Title

• Members
  • 2,881 posts
  • LocationNorth So.CA

Posted 06 June 2022 - 08:20 PM

ckent, if that was one particular DC-8 then I think they later gave those optics their own special windows so they didn't have to open a hole in the aircraft.

Who remembers these usually stainless steel side pillar mounted deflectors?

s-l1000.jpg

Eventually the OEMs offered similar features:

fordwagonrack-jpg.2790682

proxy.php?image=http%3A%2F%2Fimg83.xooim

9040c2276ba1954952aa7b4745f7a608.jpg

And they're still offering them on some models:

W.jpg

I recall seeing an experimental F-16 that had tiny holes in the top skin of it's wing. Had an APU fitted that pulled a vacuum thru those holes. The idea being to keep the air laminar regardless of attack angle. To the best of my understanding that "5th Gen fighter" in the latest Top Gun movie is using something similar.

Edited by ntsqd, 06 June 2022 - 08:22 PM.

Thom

Where does that road go?

#30 ckent323

ckent323

• Members
  • 1,227 posts
  • LocationSolvang, CA

Posted 06 June 2022 - 10:38 PM

ntsqd it was not a DC-8 it was an RC-135.  It never had a window.  It has been decommissioned and repurposed.  I was a civilian crewmember and flew on it many times I also helped engineer, install and operate parts of the system. 

I have seen semi rigs with side baffles similar to those you show but variously with holes in them or dimples on them.

https://www.globalse...s/cobra_eye.htm

Edited by ckent323, 06 June 2022 - 10:40 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users